Question for LEO, do you obey the limit or flow of traffic?

gorn

Enlightened
Alloy Addict said:
The speed limit is not always set by traffic engineers, but by lawmakers. Thus the highway speed limit goes from 55 to 65 or 70. The roads didn't change but the law did.

You are correct there, I am speaking about California, I am not aware of how speeds are set in other States. You can always count on our elected mouth pieces to throw a wrench in the works at some point. Once the National limit was removed the limits went back to what the engeneers set them at. At least in California.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Then you have towns like Asherokan (sp) NY - on Long Island near Eatons Neck - they are famous - 1MPH over, you WILL get stopped and ticketed - do a rolling stop - you get nailed. Pullout from getting the ticket, and forget to signal doing it (or even pulling IN) - you get nailed. It was a big story when even the mayor of their town got a 1 over ticket from the cops in the towm, his reply? Well I WAS speeding

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting comments about the 5 miles over the posted speed limit. There's a neighboring city to San Jose that'll ticket you for that. I'm guessing that's how they generate "revenue" for the city their employed in.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that this discussion exists is one of the reasons I hate speed limits. Yes, the signs list the "maximum" speed, which is technically not to be exceeded, but if you think that most people follow that or that we should follow it, I have no idea what planet you're from.

It seems silly to me that the speed limit can be 40 mph on a road, but realisitcally the maximum speed might be closer to 50. Why have signs that say the speed limit is 40 in the first place, especially if you are going to allow people to go 45 and they do so? I guess the cops must like it because they can technically pull you over for going 41 in a 40 zone, and you're speeding....but we all know you really aren't doing anything wrong.

It seems like a bit of a power trip to me, the way our whole speed limit system is set up. We all go a few miles an hour over the posted limits, and that's totally fine. So why do we have these signs that say otherwise? Why bother with "maximum speed limits" that 5% of people follow?

If traffic is moving at 45mph in a 40mph zone, then why should you feel guilty or worried about the fact that you are "speeding"?

I wish there was a better way to stop people who really are unsafely going too fast, but allow normal drivers to feel comfortable going the speeds that they are traveling at.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Sorry some of you have it that rough. I know little to nothing about being an officer, but its my understanding from someone I spoke to a few years ago its basically at the officer descrission. So, the officer could give you a ticket for 1mph over the limit or let you go with a warning or do nothing at all.

Anyway, been following the flow. I dont necessarly keep up with the pack, I just run with them for a bit and slack off as the pavement and route isnt great for driving flat out in regards to handling.

Seen quite a few cops on i95 since this thread and unmarked cars. I passed one cop on the side of the highway in a gaggle of cars doing 85 in the 55mph zone. I am guessing 85 as the meter only goes to 85. I do slow on corners, different pavement and when the speed zone changes then speed back up and I slow it down when feeder lanes show up on my right as I like the right lane since I just cruse the innerstate a few exists to get to and from work.

On city streets, 25,35,45 I stick to the limit. Dont bother asking about school zones, I slow it to less than 25 and of course when the traffic is heavy, weather, visibility, etc. Last thing I want is to get into or cause an accident, which lead to this topic.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely at the discretion of the officer and I can base that on my own experiences without reading a single post. In a nutshell I was once given a ticket for going ten miles over the speed limit (65 in 55 zone) and I was only going ten miles over the limit, the officer was not being kind in reducing the speed, I was only doing 65. Yet again at another time I was only given a warning for doing 77 in a 55 mph zone.

Two weeks ago, I was in very rural NH when suddenly the speed limit dropped from 50 mph to 35. A local deputy pulled me over for still going close to 50, 47 or something like that. I thought for sure, having out of state plates I was going to get a ticket but he too only gave me a warning.

From my experiences, I have a hard time figuring out if the cops only want you to drive slower or they need to make money for the department.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, Webley!

You should have seen us in the 4x4 vanagon with 1000lbs of gear going 40 up hills in ca. We did our best to let the other cars pass.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been fine in the clear going the flow. I was averaging 75-80 on route 288, 95. Midlothian turnpike folks went the limit and I followed.

I just dont understand why a sudden down pour makes folks drive at a snails pace. :) I just went around those suckers and ramped back up to 75 and went about my way.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cops are people. And like people in the general population they all vary in the way they approach tasks. A patrol (beat) officer may just want you to travel at a speed that safe for both you, other motorists, and the people living in the area that you're travelling through. If it takes nothing more to let the driver know that they are in excess of the speed limit, then they've accomplished their task in keeping the peace as a peace officer.

An officer whose task is specifically traffic enforcement is likely to be a bit more stringent about issuing citations as that is an expectation of the specific assignment, and of course personalities play a part here as well, and some will operate very close to the book, almost robot like, and more seasoned veterans are more likely able to exercise discretion that will diffuse the situation somewhat (e.g. 'give you a break' on the speed, yet still issue you a citation.)

geepondy said:
From my experiences, I have a hard time figuring out if the cops only want you to drive slower or they need to make money for the department.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too many drivers are complete, clueless, unthinking, idiots. Always be thinking ahead, aware of what's around you and drive at a speed you are comfortable with. This speed will likely increase as you get more time behind the wheel - maybe not. If you aren't at ease "keeping up" with speeders, then don't go so fast.

I rarely have to stop for turns and traffic signals because I plan ahead. I've never had a brake job in 36 years of driving old cars because I only use them lightly. My passengers are usually nervous with my driving style because their timing skills suck and they don't realize you don't have to stop before turning. Learn to drive like a pro and set a good example.

Too many people drive like they vote. Consider the congestion on the roads and in Washington D.C.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I nearly crapped my pants today. I was on 195 doing 75 with traffic. Saw a state police car in the inside most lanebehind me. I let off the gas and he just went by and continued about his way. I then gassed it back to 75.

I have to admit, Ive had no close calls at 85 or more mph, but quite a few just as I exited the highway to 35-25mph zones. Many folks stopping short, switching lanes right in front of you and pulling out in front of you.

I dont use my brakes that much either, but keep them covered and press the petal enough to turn on the lights. I just learned today when I make turnes the inside rear tire lifts off the ground a few inches. I bet its like that when I hit off ramps too?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going with the flow seems ok. Ive passed a few cops in flow of traffic and sitting on the side of the road. No problems. I just wonder how my dad ended up with all his speeding tickets in his life that almos tgot his license revoked.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfreaking believable. I go with the flow, passed a few cop cars, nothing when you would expect something.

Maybe leos are more human than we give them credit and it would be too difficult to pull over everyone and they just go for the true speeders or those who go faster than the flow?

Maybe they have an un written rule that on so and so areas, drivers are allowed so much over the limit before they are pulled? 5mph over for 460, 10 mph over for i295 and a good 15 over for i95, 10 over for 288, etc?

I sure see the advantage of having functioning cruise control as its too easy to get away following the flow.

Man, makes me feel bad for nagging my dad about the speed limit. Then again hes the one who gets the tickets for 5-6 mph over the limit. The BS tickets as he calls them.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've thought for a while that the word "limit" should be removed from the speed limits and their signage. For example, "SPEED LIMIT 45MPH" would change to "SPEED 45MPH." To me, this would aim to get people to all drive somewhere around 45MPH. If someone goes 48MPH in a limit-45 zone, that shouldn't be worth a ticket, but someone going 10MPH in that zone should be fined. A "speed" instead of "speed limit" would more accurately define the "flow" discussed here.

I always drive 25MPH or under in 25MPH zones, such as residential areas. You never know when a dog or a cat (or a kid, I guess :) ) will dash into the road. I try to be extra-aware in these areas.

On highways, I go with the flow. If there's no one around to flow with, I'll go between five and eight MPH over.

I've been driving for a little over four years with no tickets whatsoever.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The car you drive makes a big difference, too. Say you're speeding in a group on the freeway and you pass a speed trap. Everyone around you is driving minivans and station wagons and pickup trucks and is just innocuous general traffic. In your van or Mercedes, Cobb, you blend in with traffic just fine. But what if you're driving an arrest-me red Corvette with a blower sticking out of the hood. Guess who gets pulled over?

:buddies:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Personally, I believe that following too closely is far more dangerous than exceeding the speed limit by 20 mph or so; otherwise, if something happens to the vehicle in front of you or there's debris on the road, you have very little time to react. When I travel on the highway, I keep up with the pack but leave lots of distance in front of me. In rainy, icy or snowy conditions, I leave even more space.

In Canada, speed signs use a single word 'Maximum' with the speed shown in large numbers below it. All speeds are in km/h. I believe it's this way since it means the same in both official languages.
signue7.jpg

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a LEO issuing speeding citations depends on a lot of factors, the location where they are speeding, weather conditions, how far over the limit they are going, if there are other vehicles, pedestrians etcetera in the area. Another big factor to me personally is their attitude.

Blazer

Enlightened
From a LEO the only thing you should hear is "Obey the posted limit." It's the only way to guarantee you'll never get a speeding ticket.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh, Blazer, I think you're referring to jggonzales's thread in General called "Need light for police work...". This thread has nothing to do with the guy buying a $150 light for his friend... :thinking:

But yes, following the letter of the law is the surest way to avoid a speeding ticket. That's not to say you won't be cited for impeding the flow of traffic, or something, but whatever.

EDIT: You edited that first part out, so never mind, I guess.

Last edited:

Blazer

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
Uh, Blazer, I think you're referring to jggonzales's thread in General called "Need light for police work...". This thread has nothing to do with the guy buying a $150 light for his friend... :thinking:

But yes, following the letter of the law is the surest way to avoid a speeding ticket. That's not to say you won't be cited for impeding the flow of traffic, or something, but whatever.

My bad, had two replies on the go and the kids were going nuts. It's all been corrected.

Latest posts