Question for people who live and camp/explore in the snow....

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd take along a small Honda inverter quiet genset and a few gallons of gas! N' plug in whatever you need! Wet boot's ain't no fun!

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd take along a small Honda inverter quiet genset and a few gallons of gas! N' plug in whatever you need! Wet boot's ain't no fun!

We actually do have a portable genset (a very good one in fact) but unfortunately all our Alpine regions here in Australia are National parks and generators are prohibited :(

Not for animals and environment mind you - but for the peace of mind of any other campers. If we go deep enough and find ourselves all on our lonesome then we'll probably fire it up and hope a ranger doesn't pass by. That's a fine I'd be keen to avoid.

- Matt

Exactly what we do have :) We're taking it but it's use will be limited.

Wrend

Enlightened
Spare set of boots works.

A fire works well. Put the boots on some stones around it. The IR radiation and convention should be enough to dry them overnight. They don't need to be in the direct airflow off of the fire. Might want to turn them occasionally. Obviously if they're wet enough to wring out, then do that first too. If it's possible to separate different layers that can be spread out to dry faster, that would help as well. You want air to be able to get to and move over as much area as possible.

Using batteries as a heat source won't last long enough unless you're charging them off of a car's alternator or something, if it has enough fuel.

The above dryer looks kind of spiffy too though. ;)

Last edited: