Question on battery cell

Z light

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and new to flashlights with a question. I just picked up a small pocket thrower, it's a Lumintop GTA . I'm wondering if I can use a Vapecell H10 in the light. The Vapecell is a 10 amp cell (14500). Im wondering if I can use this cell without damaging the light. I really enjoy reading all the great information on this forum. I'm hoping somebody can help me with this question. Any info would be greatfully appreciated.
Thnx
Bob

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found a review that said aa and 14500 for that light, so OK, works
What do the manufacturer's specs / instructions say? Just because doing something out of spec 'works' and doesn't harm the light immediately doesn't mean it won't kill it over time; I can guarantee you that. A 'reviewer' doesn't likely use a light long enough to know what will damage the light over time, so you can't go by what they say in such situations. You'd be wise to follow the manufacturer's instructions. The people who designed it do know, or at least they should.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Z light, you absolutely can, 10 amps mean the battery is capable of 10A discharge, your light will draw as much as it needs, it has the same voltage as any other 14500 cell. just because it is capable of pushing out more than you need, does not mean it will damage the light.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Z light, you absolutely can, 10 amps mean the battery is capable of 10A discharge, your light will draw as much as it needs, it has the same voltage as any other 14500 cell. just because it is capable of pushing out more than you need, does not mean it will damage the light.
You're absolutely correct. I was specifically addressing use of cells which are over-voltage (above spec), not the same voltage with a higher output current spec. I'm unfamiliar with that specific light, so my advice was general (adhere to manufacturer's specs - whatever they are). If the manufacturer says 14500 cells (vs AA primaries) are OK with regard to voltage, a cell with higher than required max current is of no consequence; you're correct in that regard.

Many will stuff a 14500 in a AA-only light just because it 'works'. That's when light failures occur, and it happens a lot EDIT: and sometimes takes time to occur.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're absolutely correct. I was specifically addressing use of cells which are over-voltage (above spec), not the same voltage with a higher output current spec. I'm unfamiliar with that specific light, so my advice was general (adhere to manufacturer's specs - whatever they are). If the manufacturer says 14500 cells (vs AA primaries) are OK with regard to voltage, a cell with higher than required max current is of no consequence; you're correct in that regard.

Many will stuff a 14500 in a AA-only light just because it 'works'. That's when light failures occur, and it happens a lot EDIT: and sometimes takes time to occur.
Only light I've ever had stop working. I think it was the first led minimag. The purplish rebel. I used 1 14500 and a spacer. Figured one cell of voltage higher would be fine. Nope. After 4-5 hours of use it died on me