Questions about Fenix and 4Sevens penlights

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I have been fumbling around with the idea of replacing my Sunlite Slim 5W penlight setup with a newer regulated penlight. I like the Sunlite slim, but I do not like that it is direct drive. I have seriously considered the 4Sevens Preon II and the Fenix LD05 at different points. One thing has been holding me back on both of them. Why do neither have memory modes? To me, it seems like a waste of time if every time you want to turn on your high mode, you have to press the button three times. A lot of people have been raving about how much they love their Fenix or 4Sevens, so it might not be that big a deal. I do not know, all of my lights have memories. Does anyone else wander the same thing? Is there a penlight out there with similar performance that has memory mode and is regulated? As for batteries, I am planning on going with rechargeable 10440's and a charger, unless my ultrafire WF-139 can handle it if I can fabricate a cradle for them. Let me know your thoughts on this. As always, Thanks in advance.

Dan

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
1/ No, I haven't wondered about a memory mode, it's not a big deal for me, I have the Preon II, and have no problem with the UI. But at least the LD05 starts in medium, if that's what you like. I'm happy with the Preon II starting in Low, then Med, then High.
2/ Don't run the Preon II or the LD05 on 10440's. That's just my advice, based on the fact that a pair of 10440's will kill your light. They aren't designed to take that voltage.
I suggest the Preon II or LD05 on eneloops instead.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I have been fumbling around with the idea of replacing my Sunlite Slim 5W penlight setup with a newer regulated penlight. I like the Sunlite slim, but I do not like that it is direct drive. I have seriously considered the 4Sevens Preon II and the Fenix LD05 at different points. One thing has been holding me back on both of them. Why do neither have memory modes? To me, it seems like a waste of time if every time you want to turn on your high mode, you have to press the button three times. A lot of people have been raving about how much they love their Fenix or 4Sevens, so it might not be that big a deal. I do not know, all of my lights have memories. Does anyone else wander the same thing? Is there a penlight out there with similar performance that has memory mode and is regulated? As for batteries, I am planning on going with rechargeable 10440's and a charger, unless my ultrafire WF-139 can handle it if I can fabricate a cradle for them. Let me know your thoughts on this. As always, Thanks in advance.

Dan

Dan,
Love my Preons, have at least 8 of them.
If you want to run a 10440, use only one.
You can either get the Preon2 and use a dummy spacer,
Or get your self a spare Preon1 body and use the head and clickie from the Preon2 light.
I use Sanyo Eneloops in both my Preon1s and Preon2s wothout any problems.
GL

Wrecked

Enlightened
Hey guys,
Why do neither have memory modes? To me, it seems like a waste of time if every time you want to turn on your high mode, you have to press the button three times.
Dan

Amen, brother. Just sent back my Quark AA2. Picking up a Klarus ST20.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
moerush: you might want to look at a Quark Mini AA^2. Uses 2xAA, either alkaline, L91, or nimh, is brighter than a Preon 2 on max, and has about 3x the run time as well. And it's barely larger than a Preon 2 as well.

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the thoughtful responses. Bowzer, I am specifically looking for a AAA powered light because once you get into AA, you start to get into the lights that need holsters. I want to clip mine to my pants. I appreciate the recommendation. A guy at work got the Quark but fits a CR123, inspired by my passion I might add. flashlight nut, thanks for the recommendation, I had never even heard of that light but seems really great. Are there others out there I have never heard of? I am not closed to the thought of the Preon, or LD05. I guess I just want more options. Thanks for the input guys,

Dan

mmace1

Enlightened
once you get into AA, you start to get into the lights that need holsters. I want to clip mine to my pants.
Dan

Generally true, but the Mini 2xAA is an unusual light. Say compare the Fenix penlight with the Mini AA^2:

• Fenix LD05: 70.5g w/ 2 AAA eneloops Dimensions: 149.5 x 14.0mm,
  • Mini AA^2: 82.5g w/ 2 AA eneloops Dimensions: 127.0 x 17.8mm,

Almost the same. Slightly heavier and slightly larger volume, but not by very much. It would seem odd to think the Mini needs a holster when the LD05 does not. Not that I'm necessarily suggesting a mini, just saying that the holster issue doesn't seem valid in this case.