questions about Nitecore MH12GT

mickb

Enlightened
Fellas I read some reviews and wondered if anyone who owns one might be able to clarify any of the following.

1. Being rechargebable can I insert any normal button top protected 18650 or nitecores version only?

2. Anyone know which remote pressure switch tailcap relates to this light. Online sources suggest its probably the RWS-1.

3. Is there movement of the battery when inserted. this will be used on light recoiling firearms, I dont need surefire level reliability, its not for self defence, but if its rattling up against a hard surface at one end of the compartment, thats no good

Thanks in advance.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
or anyone who doesnt own one and knows any of the answers :)

As an owner of a Nitecore flashlight I can say that if it doesn't have a spring on both ends of the tube, I wouldn't buy it knowing that it will see recoil on a firearm. I would not recommend that light for your intended purpose.

This is a link to the official Nitecore page for the light https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mh12gt

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MH12GT uses standard 18650s alright but because it has their "Reverse polarity protection" it means two things: 1) You have to use button tops cells or flat tops with a magnetic button on it and 2) The recoil of anything greater than a .22 LR will cause the light to beat the top of the cell into the casing, likely damaging it at some point. Even a .22 LR might still do it if the rifle isn't heavy enough to absorb recoil.

mickb

Enlightened
much appreciated fellas , its a no go then. If you can think of any compact throwers that can handle recoil and dont involve surefire price tag, would be interested to hear

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you taken a look at the Olight Odin? Both the full sized and the mini? I know they use the proprietary cells Olight is want to use in everything nowadays but they are otherwise what you are looking for. I think. I have a full sized and the output is definitely on the level they claim.

Mrgunsngear did a review of it on his channel so you could go check it out and decide if it's something you would want. He's got a fair amount of other weaponlights that he's reviewed as well, so you may see something else you like better.

mickb

Enlightened
Its pretty heavy for what it us. After lighter units as this is for backpacking. Curse nitecore and their great throw and non springy electronics :)