Ra Clicky Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeez, might as well have a tac model - that is some serious nipplage :green:
:crackup:A new Ra term is born!! 'Nipplage', love it.

There is no better EDC light for my needs than the Ra Clicky. Get a good one and you will have a truely wonderful light that will last you a life time (if you have the new style tailcap).

James...

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested in the answer to this too, as I'm thinking of a tactical myself.

The yellow emitter does indeed seem to be off centre, although the reflections in the OP reflector look reasonably symmetrical. If it were just that image, I could imagine that it was just a parallax effect - perhaps the camera wasn't exactly square on or something. But if Henk's looks the same . . .

Really would like to understand what's going on here.

It really looks exactly the same, and it isn't any camera angle angle! You can turn it the way you want, the gap you see on the picture always stays a gap.

Yesterday evening, I rolled my Clicky on a table and fixed my eyes on the emitter. Indeed, I could not see it moving around while the flashlight rolled, which would mean, that the emitter is centered in the exact middle of the flashlight, but not in the middle of the base of the reflector. Weird, as the reflector should be perfectly round as well at any height...

I guess we ask to many questions, we should switch on a light and judge it by the beam it produces, but we are on CPF here! :thinking:

An explanation would be nice indeed. :huh:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really looks exactly the same, and it isn't any camera angle angle! You can turn it the way you want, the gap you see on the picture always stays a gap.

Yesterday evening, I rolled my Clicky on a table and fixed my eyes on the emitter. Indeed, I could not see it moving around while the flashlight rolled, which would mean, that the emitter is centered in the exact middle of the flashlight, but not in the middle of the base of the reflector. Weird, as the reflector should be perfectly round as well at any height...

I guess we ask to many questions, we should switch on a light and judge it by the beam it produces, but we are on CPF here! :thinking:

An explanation would be nice indeed. :huh:
That does sound weird. From your 'roll' experiment, it sounds as if the base of the reflector is slightly uncentered. The emitter is centered within the body of the light, but the reflector is off at its' base causing the emitter to not appear within the centre of the reflector. Maybe, maybe?!

James....

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does sound weird. From your 'roll' experiment, it sounds as if the base of the reflector is slightly uncentered. The emitter is centered within the body of the light, but the reflector is off at its' base causing the emitter to not appear within the centre of the reflector. Maybe, maybe?!

James....

Your conclusions are mine! :huh:

If it was only my light, I would say OK, my reflector isn't 100%, but I was really astonished when I saw that picture at light-reviews which looks really exactly like my light...

Looking into the 140C, everyting is centered exactly, the P4 is much larger and has another base, in silver.

I share your statement, the Clicky is the best EDC for me as well!!! :party:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Henk: in an attempt to simulate your rolling experiment, I took the image from the light-reviews link* and superimposed it on itself after rotating it by 180 degrees.

clickygd.jpg

It might have been difficult to tell while rolling, but from this it actually looks as though neither the opening in the reflector nor the yellow emitter are precisely centred.

* [ Mods - I hope it's OK to reproduce the image like this. If not, please let me know and I'll take it down ]

Haz

Enlightened
that is alot of protrusion from the switch, can almost call that a tactical switch. It like someone installed a maglite switch into the light!

Yes, my second Clicky's switch protrudes slightly, as you describe. In that case, the stock clip actually helps to balance it. The light leans over so far that the end of the clip touches the ground, and acts like a kick-stand.

I guess I'm either going to carry a thick o-ring on my keys, kind of like a coaster for my flashlight, or maybe I'll cement it in place.
latest_tail.jpg

You're right, though. It works now, and I'd still recommend this light to anybody.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henk: in an attempt to simulate your rolling experiment, I took the image from the light-reviews link* and superimposed it on itself after rotating it by 180 degrees.

It might have been difficult to tell while rolling, but from this it actually looks as though neither the opening in the reflector nor the yellow emitter are precisely centred.

The rolling experiment was something unprecise, for sure, but I should have noticed the expected variation in position close to a millimeter, which appears in your picture.

If this picture manipulation gets better results is a good question as well, if the position of the camera wasn't exactly correct, it may give a wrong result.

I guess there is only one man who can explain the situation to us, while other Clicky users could tell us if their GDP emitters look like the one in the picture or if they look centered to the eye.

The beam of my Clicky doesn't look distorted, I've tried several times to find out if it is really centered, impossible too without having the right equipment to hold the light exactly right.

Conclusion : Don't worry, be happy... :candle:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess there is only one man who can explain the situation to us, while other Clicky users could tell us if their GDP emitters look like the one in the picture or if they look centered to the eye.
My Clicky 140 Cn has a perfectly centred GD emitter. A roll test showed the reflector and emitter have been correctly positioned. It obviously only affects a small number of units as there as not been a huge number of people concerned with this problem.

James....

Carter840

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

This is my first post on cpf and I plan for the ra clicky to be my first light. I am very confused though. I have been reading about this light and others like it for the past week and am stuck with many questions. I need a full briefing on this light even though I have already read so much.

First could someone tell me each model that is currently being offered.
Also where is the best place to buy this light? I want the most updated models btw.

I am also wondering about the GT. Will a novice like me notice any difference? What is the difference?
Also I think I want the Ti bezel, does anyone know if that saves any weight? Anyone have a picture of a black ti bezel?

I'm also wondering about the 140 vs the 170 model. Is the difference just the max output or does the 170 get better runtime on a 120 setting than a 120 would?

Also what does the push button look like on the newest clicky. I have seen a few raised nipples on the exec model is it even called the exec model anymore? I want a near flush switch but if it has evolved into a nipple than I will be happy with that.

I also just saw a post about an all ti clicky that may be on it's way. Anyone have a ballpark price estimate? Would this save any noticable weight or not?

I think that is all my questions for now hopefully I posted this in the right spot.

Thanks

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
First could someone tell me each model that is currently being offered.
4 standard models and hundreds of combination from the customization program. See Ra website.
http://ralights.com/?id=Map

Also where is the best place to buy this light?
They are all good. See Ra webpage under dealers.

I am also wondering about the GT. Will a novice like me notice any difference? What is the difference?
Impossible to determine, everybody's eyes are different. Its theoretically closer to pure white.

Also I think I want the Ti bezel, does anyone know if that saves any weight? Anyone have a picture of a black ti bezel?
It saves around 3g out of about 100g total. You can't tell the difference in pictures. IMHO it is not worth it. See my post several posts above.

I'm also wondering about the 140 vs the 170 model. Is the difference just the max output or does the 170 get better runtime on a 120 setting than a 120 would?
170 will get longer runtimes on equivalent levels.

Also what does the push button look like on the newest clicky.
Seems to be a crapshoot.

I also just saw a post about an all ti clicky that may be on it's way. Anyone have a ballpark price estimate?
Over $500, probably well over.
Would this save any noticable weight or not?
A titanium model would actually weigh more.

callmaster

Enlightened
I'm still waiting for news on the titanium. I'm only going to go to a certain price level, then all bets are off!

Carter840

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your helpful and promt reply. It seems like I would either get the 170 model or the 140 model. If I got the 140 I would likely get the GT just because I'm curious about it; unless of course many people agree that it is a waste. I would be using this flashlight as an EDC and think a wider beam pattern would be better for daily use and walking in the dark, do most users agree? Also at the bottom of the custom page it says about 2 weeks to get a custom light, is that what people have actually experienced?

And is there any difference the tactical and the exec model? From what I read it seems like the initial programing is different but that can be changed by the user and other than that both types are identical. I'm looking at the custom ra page from the link given above if that helps.

It seems like I'm leaning towards a 140GT with Ti bezel, exec model. How does that sound? I'm new to this bright world and would like your input.

I also plan to eventualy get a custom Ti clip from chip that is anodized tan, I'd also get my bezel anodized in tan. All my tac gear is. Black and tan. Thought?

I'm very excited chances are that I will get this for my bday in august. But I need to know exactly what to ask for.

Thanks

dagored

Enlightened
Carter,

First of all you can not go wrong with any of the RA lights. I started with a 140 tactical, then bought a 120 EDCE. I just bought, over at the marketplace, a 100 Twisty. I read so much about them I was glad to get what looks like a nice catch.

You will most likely end up owning more than one.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend one of the Tactical models with the narrower beam. I also have been very happy with the tint and color rendering from these LED's plus you get the further reaching beam.

Good luck on your purchase... it is one of the finest lights built if not the finest.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend one of the Tactical models with the narrower beam. I also have been very happy with the tint and color rendering from these LED's plus you get the further reaching beam.

Good luck on your purchase... it is one of the finest lights built if not the finest.

+1 to this.

Love love love my 140-Tactical so much that it is responsible for me selling all my one-cell Surefires and a few of the two-celled. On high I get 70+ minutes from an AW IMR cell - it ROCKS!

The Tac has plenty of spill for closeup work and the throw is marvelous.

Can't go wrong.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your helpful and promt reply. It seems like I would either get the 170 model or the 140 model. If I got the 140 I would likely get the GT just because I'm curious about it; unless of course many people agree that it is a waste. I would be using this flashlight as an EDC and think a wider beam pattern would be better for daily use and walking in the dark, do most users agree? Also at the bottom of the custom page it says about 2 weeks to get a custom light, is that what people have actually experienced?

And is there any difference the tactical and the exec model? From what I read it seems like the initial programing is different but that can be changed by the user and other than that both types are identical. I'm looking at the custom ra page from the link given above if that helps.

It seems like I'm leaning towards a 140GT with Ti bezel, exec model. How does that sound? I'm new to this bright world and would like your input.

I also plan to eventualy get a custom Ti clip from chip that is anodized tan, I'd also get my bezel anodized in tan. All my tac gear is. Black and tan. Thought?

I'm very excited chances are that I will get this for my bday in august. But I need to know exactly what to ask for.

Thanks
Hi Carter140,

I have compared the output of my Ra Clicky 140Cn with my Novatac 120P, EX10GD & D10GD with 14500 battery and the Ra light absolutely stomps on all of them for outright output on boost and has around the same output on the normal 100lm max output mode.

The calibrated Ra light output really is OTF lumens.

James...

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

While it took a feeled eternity for the Clicky to first come up, my 170Cn ordered in may was ready within two weeks. The first rush for the Clicky is over, the returned lights of the first batch should all be back to their owners since long, so I think the 2 weeks are realistic.

I first got a 140C, it's better for indoor use and general use too. Then I got the 170Cn, it's the light I have in my pocket when I go caching. Has slightly more throw and it's slightly brighter, in a dark forest it makes a difference. I would go with the wider beam for an EDC (as I did).

I didn't get the GT as there are no Ras with bad tints. Can't tell about it, the tint of my 140C is somewhat neutral, while the 170Cn has a purplish spill, that's the GDP, there's no GDP with guaranteed tint by the way.

Have a look at the normal models, you'll find the explanation, it's the basic programmation. If you reprogram everything like I did, it doesn't make a difference. If not, take tactical if you want some kind of strobe and executive if you don't want that. I took 2 executive, no need for disco feeling. If you perform a reset, the basic programmation will show up again.

Another thing is the button. Normal tactical models have the raised button, executive ones have the flush button. Tailstanding isn't guaranteed with the flush button, my 140C stands flat, the 170Cn wobbles. As I carry my lights in the trouser's pocket, I chose the flush button, which doesn't activate by itself. But, you may lock the button as well (activates with 3 clicks then) and have the light shut down automatically after 10 minutes. I switched that feature on after I once got the the light out of my pocket turned un, because I didn't turn it off in daylight probably.

I got the ti bezel on my 170Cn and immediately wondered why. The feeling is "rougher" than the ss bezel, the crenelations seem sharper. I wouldn't take it again, the ss bezel is just fine. I would perhaps get one without crenelations, my pockets seem not to like those while I thought they were inoffensive. Well, I can always get other bezels, which will be unmarked however.

I don't ever use clips and the one of the Clicky is highly discussed. While it is very safe and probably keeps your light where you want it to have, it is plain ugly...

Anodized in tan? What's that?

My bday was in june, guess why I ordered the 170Cn in early may? :party:

You'll love your Clicky! :thumbsup:

Carter840

Newly Enlightened
What is GDP? If I was to get the GT would the light be closer to white rather than a blue tint? I don't really like the blue tint look of some LEDs but would be fine with a pure white. What is best for accurate color rendition? Is it the GT or the warm white?

And what about this Warm white model? What are people saying about it?

In general I am just really confused about what I want.

It seems like most members are recomending the Narrow Beam while others seem to say that a wider beam would be better for my EDC and genral use. I really have no plans to use this flashlight to blind people when breaching a room so I wonder if I really would benifit from such a hotspot.

Also does anyone else have thoughts about the Ti Bezel? It woulds like it is not a great add for an EDC light, but I do love Ti. Not enough however to get a solid Ti Ra (too pricey for me).

If I were to have these 3 options what would you all recomend and why.
140GT (wide beam)
170 (Narrow beam)
120 Warm White (Narrow Beam pattern)

I like the sound of the 170 model but am worried that when walking in the dark I might rather a more spead beam. I feel like a concentrated hotspot so close to me be might make visibility difficult. Since you all are the experts I want to ask you which of the 3 models listed above would you use (if you had all 3) for this task:

Walk 3 minutes through a lightly wooded area than lets say you were going to check the tire pressure of a truck in the dark right after that walk. Lets also say that you had a friend with you and your light was the only flashlight. So basically you need enough light and spead for both people you also need to use the light for close up readings. What light is best for this type of activity?

Also I know now that I will be getting a custom light with
Exec
Flush mounted clicker
All parts black (maybe I will try Tan anodiing in the future)
Gold ano really looks tan so that is what I wam talking about, but that might look ugly I'm also considering red ano.
And am still undecided about a steel vs a Ti Bezel.
Of course I still have no clue about which type of LED to put inside it.

I do agree that I will buy future lights, I know that this is just the start of the road, but I also think that this will be my first and only nice light for a while. Money is in short supply and I would rather get my deam light the first time than buy 3 in the process of finding out what my dream light is.
Thanks

dagored

Enlightened
I do agree that I will buy future lights, I know that this is just the start of the road, but I also think that this will be my first and only nice light for a while. Money is in short supply and I would rather get my deam light the first time than buy 3 in the process of finding out what my dream light is.
Thanks

You will use them all. There is no "all around, fits every situation light". Not every light or RA light is to everyone's liking. We all have different ideas of what the perfect light should be like. My point, I think, is that you will choose a light that comes close to what you want (need). Some here are usually satisfied, some are nit pickers.

I have 8 different lights, all for different situation. A few for around the house, a couple for the cars, and some more for EDC.

The more you learn, the more you will "need:)" certain lights. :broke:

Carter840

Newly Enlightened
I understand what you're saying but I still am wondering what the color of each of these lights will be like. I also have one question to simplify all of my others.

Will any of the Ra lights be better than most off the shelf harware store flashlights for looking at the ground at your feet and making sure you don't step on snakes or poison ivy? Can someone give me an idea of the difference in divergence when you are holding the light say 4 feet above the ground and aiming it directly down? What is the diameter of the lighted area or a narrow vs wide Ra light?

Also i would assume that few of you would use a maximum setting for a walk through the woods, right? I just can't imagine what such a bright light would look like up close.

Does the 170 Model have a Blueish tint?
I think I like the idea of the 170 (as long as it is not blueish). From my understanding the 170 is more efficent than a 120 can someone confirm that.

Thanks

I can already tell that this forum is perfect for a nit picker like myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.