Ra / HDS Clicky burst mode enable / disable poll

Would you choose to "Enable" or "Disable" burst mode if it was an option?

• "Enable" leave it as it is now, step down after 10 sec.

Votes: 65 52.8%
  • "Disable" make it NOT step down after 10 seconds.

Votes: 58 47.2%

• Total voters

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is quite interesting to see how the numbers are actually picking up with the people who would prefer to disable the burst mode/or have the option to disable it.

When Capn' first started this thread, I was thinking.... "here we go" I am going to be one of the only people to want to toggle this feature. But to my surprise... I am not alone. Every time Ive bumped this thread as of late, what usually was a 2:1 vote for keeping the 10sec burst, has now switched 180 degrees. Now for every 1 vote for enabling... there are 2 people voting for disabling.

***Just a reminder...The main purpose of this poll is to see if people are willing to toggle or improve the 10sec feature, and not to completely take this feature/ or any other features out of the light.*** :popcorn:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
It is quite interesting to see how the numbers are actually picking up with the people who would prefer to disable the burst mode/or have the option to disable it.

When Capn' first started this thread, I was thinking.... "here we go" I am going to be one of the only people to want to toggle this feature. But to my surprise... I am not alone. Every time Ive bumped this thread as of late, what usually was a 2:1 vote for keeping the 10sec burst, has now switched 180 degrees. Now for every 1 vote for enabling... there are 2 people voting for disabling.

Yep. I think overall this has been good feedback for HDS. Im very glad that Henry himself has chimed in and has been very receptive to the feedback! Who knows, we might have had some tiny bit of influence on the design of the next versions of one of the best lights out there. Good stuff! :D

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. I think overall this has been good feedback for HDS. Im very glad that Henry himself has chimed in and has been very receptive to the feedback! Who knows, we might have had some tiny bit of influence on the design of the next versions of one of the best lights out there. Good stuff! :D

Yes. That is something I am quite happy about as well. Henry listens to his customers, which is highly notable for a business owner. His success and quality products illustrate this quite well.

Personally now that I think about it, giving the consumer the option to toggle at their own will, will neither disappoint or lose any customers, as a matter of fact if anything, it will gain people like myself who like options and to be in control of their lights. I do not think there is an overload of options for the Ra Clicky as-is to consider adding one or two more settings to be too much.

I hope you are right Cap'n, I know he has chimed in a few times throughout the life of this thread. But I really do hope he does put these ideas into play for his future lights. And I will be honest, that burst mode was my only gripe I had about the Ra Clicky line of lights. Everything else was well thought out and perfectly executed. ;)

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Captain Spaulding, CaNo,

I have prototyped the change and have been playing with it. It still needs a few tweaks but I am essentially happy with the results. I can live with 7 items in the Option menu.

As with any change of this type, it will get a bunch more testing and then we will have to plan when it will get released. We have an inventory of manuals so it is not likely to be released until we print new manuals.

Henry.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Captain Spaulding, CaNo,

I have prototyped the change and have been playing with it. It still needs a few tweaks but I am essentially happy with the results. I can live with 7 items in the Option menu.

As with any change of this type, it will get a bunch more testing and then we will have to plan when it will get released. We have an inventory of manuals so it is not likely to be released until we print new manuals.

Henry.

Way to go Henry! Thanks for making it a possibility!

And thanks Captain Spaulding for bringing this up!

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
Henry,

I'm not going to wait for this feature before I buy another light, which will probably be in the next two weeks or so.

However, I'm curious if my light could have the firmware upgraded by sending it in to you once the update is live?

Thanks!

Captain Spaulding, CaNo,

Henry.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
MikeG1P315,

We have never offered software upgrades. A significant problem with offering software upgrades is that there is no guarantee that the new software will run on older hardware. In many cases, it will not. There is no way for a customer to know ahead of time if that will be the case. Date of purchase is no help and serial number is no help because of how inventory is used across product lines.

As many people know, we are constantly making small incremental changes to our light. Some of the changes are made to improve the manufacturing process and others are made in improve the product itself. In general, we do not advertise the changes until long after they have been introduced because dealers don't like getting stuck with "old" inventory.

When the hardware changes, the software that runs on the older hardware effectively dies with the change. It is just not cost effective to upgrade newer versions of software to run on older versions of hardware. You cannot charge enough for an upgrade to cover the cost of development and testing. It is better to purchase the newest model and sell last year's model on B/S/T to someone who cannot afford the latest model.

Henry.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Captain Spaulding, CaNo,

Henry.

Wow... I cannot wait for this to come out! :twothumbs This is great news! Thank you for listening :bow: Henry. You are happy and we are happy... what can beat that!? lol :grin2:

Ladies and gentlemen.... the Ra Clicky has just evolved... :clap:

This post just made my day! :thumbsup:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool.... I'm glad there's a company that will re-code its products on a whim for customers. I'll probably be buying a ra clicky in the future here, after this update is applied. Also, as I don't own one (yet), can I ask, how hard is it to open up the head, and reveal the driver?

Connor

Enlightened

Henry, could you comment on how the new feature is realized? Are there different burst mode lengths programmable, or is it just on/off?

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Conner,

Per the earlier posts and basic design philosophy, the prototype being tested is: 1) enable/disable, 2) 20 seconds and 3) no timer on momentary maximum. Simplicity and utility.

Wyager,

Not all that hard. A Dremel makes quick work of it.

Henry.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Conner,

Per the earlier posts and basic design philosophy, the prototype being tested is: 1) enable/disable, 2) 20 seconds and 3) no timer on momentary maximum. Simplicity and utility.

1.):wow: 2.):wow: 3.):wow:

All 3 put in effect! This is incredible! This is better than I thought! Hope it passes your tests Henry, so it can make it our way! lol :hitit:
I don't think this one will be a shelf queen at all.... it will be way too useful, to just collect dust... :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think this one will be a shelf queen at all.... it will be way too useful, to just collect dust... :)
None of my HDS lights are shelf queen. I EDC one everyday as a matter of fact. I felt so naked whenever I forget to pack my HDS clicky before leaving the house.

Connor

Enlightened

Henry,

that's very nice - except perhaps for the 20 second burst mode part. I still think that, while you're at it, you should make the burst mode length user-programmable, too (in the 10 to 60 seconds range).
My reasoning is this: Burst mode shorter than 10 seconds doesn't really make sense, same with >60 seconds, this wouldn't safe much energy anymore.

But then there are people who like the burst mode very short to conserve the most energy possible, other people (like me) prefer the burst activated, but a little bit longer lasting before stepdown (reasoning: If I switch to full brightness, I'm probably gonna need it for more than 10 seconds). 20 seconds sounds better, but since you simply cannot make it right for everyone with one setting, why not implementing a programmable burst mode length into the same menu item? Personally, I would like to see ~3 choices, e.g. 10-30-60 seconds (or perhaps 20-40-60) + on/off, all in the same menu item.

michelkenny

Newly Enlightened
Henry,

that's very nice - except perhaps for the 20 second burst mode part. I still think that, while you're at it, you should make the burst mode length user-programmable, too (in the 10 to 60 seconds range).
My reasoning is this: Burst mode shorter than 10 seconds doesn't really make sense, same with >60 seconds, this wouldn't safe much energy anymore.

But then there are people who like the burst mode very short to conserve the most energy possible, other people (like me) prefer the burst activated, but a little bit longer lasting before stepdown (reasoning: If I switch to full brightness, I'm probably gonna need it for more than 10 seconds). 20 seconds sounds better, but since you simply cannot make it right for everyone with one setting, why not implementing a programmable burst mode length into the same menu item? Personally, I would like to see ~3 choices, e.g. 10-30-60 seconds (or perhaps 20-40-60) + on/off, all in the same menu item.

The more choices to be programmed in, the more complicated it gets and has a higher chance of being rejected.... You guys got your wish of having it configurable as enabled / disabled... I would take it and leave it be...