RaidFire Spear review: comparison to other throwers

Tubor

Enlightened
Very nice review thanks! Got my spear and it's very nice. Can't see much point to the OP but got it anyway. :D

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like EDGETAC has listened to CPF - the second batch of RaidFire Spear's appear to have several of the labels removed. See this post:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2111738#post2111738

The "Strong Light" and Spear logo have removed from the knurling. Good job! :grin2:

My light must be a collectors item! :crackup:

NDI044Small.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I kind of like the 'Strong Light' warning. Or not. I don't know. It's different, if nothing else.
Actually, I kind of like it too, in a strange way - it's almost sort of charming. :p

And at least it's not printed on the knurling on the Spear (above pics show the NDI).

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should've done "Light Strong", in the spirit of Lance. ;)

Excellent review, self-built. I really like your multiple layout of beam comparisons. It's really quite evident that this is a fantastic light. I just wish it supported both 18650 and RCR123.

I'm pleased to see how well the DBS held up, too.

The holes in the head look like a nice solution for venting heat... does it have any impact on water resistance? I know it's rated IPX-8, but I wonder if the grooves in the reflector might retain moisture inside the head (between the reflector and side wall of the head), requiring a good shakeout to remove any traces of water.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the extra pic Ernie. ;)

The holes in the head look like a nice solution for venting heat... does it have any impact on water resistance? I know it's rated IPX-8, but I wonder if the grooves in the reflector might retain moisture inside the head (between the reflector and side wall of the head), requiring a good shakeout to remove any traces of water.
Frankly, I think the "holes in the head" are just an aesthetic styling solution to differentiate this light from the other throwers. I doubt it helps much with heat dissipation, unless you were running a fan over the light (or waving it madly in the air while running it! :laughing:). But it does look :cool:

Water resistance is maintained thanks to the presence of two o-rings at the base of the reflector, where it meets the rest of the assembly. I haven't gotten around to detailed pics yet, but you can see what I mean in Stefan's excellent review of this light.

And yes, I think "Light Strong" would be a good motto for flashaholics ... :whistle:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly, I think the "holes in the head" are just an aesthetic styling solution to differentiate this light from the other throwers. I doubt it helps much with heat dissipation, unless you were running a fan over the light (or waving it madly in the air while running it! :laughing:). But it does look :cool:

Water resistance is maintained thanks to the presence of two o-rings at the base of the reflector, where it meets the rest of the assembly. I haven't gotten around to detailed pics yet, but you can see what I mean in Stefan's excellent review of this light.
I see what you mean. Thanks for the link to Stefan's review; both of yours together really explore the Spear well IMHO.
And yes, I think "Light Strong" would be a good motto for flashaholics ... :whistle:
Hmmmmm... I think you're onto something, about the motto. How about a flashlight program for under developed countries? There's all this focus on food and medical aid, but I have to imagine many poverty stricken societies would benefit a lot from having some usable flashlights. That's of course assuming they could get a hold of AA batteries fairly inexpensively. If a battery costs as much as their food budget for the week, I doubt they'd be replacing them. Unless they were also supplied with rechargeable ones and a solar charger to refresh them. I wonder... :thinking:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
How about a flashlight program for under developed countries? There's all this focus on food and medical aid, but I have to imagine many poverty stricken societies would benefit a lot from having some usable flashlights. That's of course assuming they could get a hold of AA batteries fairly inexpensively. If a battery costs as much as their food budget for the week, I doubt they'd be replacing them. Unless they were also supplied with rechargeable ones and a solar charger to refresh them. I wonder... :thinking:
Actually, that's sort of what I do with a lot of the inexpensive 1AA lights I've come across. Once I'm done testing, modding, upgrading, etc., I ship them off to various conservation groups in Costa Rica. :)

I enjoy travelling there for the wildlife and biodiversity, and am happy to make a small flashlight donation to groups engaged in perserving it. Although you raise a good point in the developing world, AA is one of the most common battery formats. And you could always choose to send to it development/relief groups to use or donate as they see fit (should be relatively easy for them to access batteries for their own uses).

Glad to you enjoyed the Spear review! :whistle: