RavensEye

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a cheap sipik 68 for some few $. And if you like it, problem solved. If not, it's a great little light to mod. 1,5A driver and a xp-e2 will make it a tiny pocket thrower.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jorn, Hi.
I'm not sure you're replying to my thread but in case you are,
are you suggesting to strip a Siipik and use its body?

Otherwise I think you missed the idea I'm playing with.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carbon I think is the answer I'm looking for. Going to try an introduce some carbon into my theory after honey do list an yard work, sigh.

Update edit, marked improvement using basic carbon to absorb errant photons. Getting a slight corona hue from it, suspect not layered enough.

Not bad for something normally a flood light... Sorry for quality, I'm filling up weed eater really ☺
53a18ec7c374bca186f7ca7aa108dd48.jpg

Tint change on corona is lessened more, not to noticeable in use.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sipik 68 got no spill. And throws well out of the box. So you dont need to tune the spill out of the beam. If you want more throw, its easy to mod.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though with this mod, I get two benefits and only carry one light, one battery.
I get hot spot and spill,
and I get hot spot alone with no spill.

The picture shows what I'm after, if I need throw, I have a Olight M3XS-UT.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sipik is a zoom light. All flood beam to all throw, or anything in between. So you dont need to carry two lights, use tape, or carry extra parts for your light with a asperic "zoom light".

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm back ☺

M3XS-UT Javelot

d07082b01f5ece4dd5e2f06311332814.jpg

Not the greatest, but works well. Aerosol can lid.
f7bbe5cb1b3a12084e13f2689c79a2eb.jpg

e58097b89549959ac76a8174397933e7.jpg

Without snoot..
8baeab29484a92af36485484fc3af8ac.jpg

With snoot..
86767dbf79ff83efe139aa8b8d4e5ce5.jpg

Bonus, lid is near perfect ID of OD of light head, spill can be manipulated some via its depth placed on head.

I like to aim light and have spill too, I know some can do both naturally,
But I like to tinker so here we are.

Have a great one. ☺

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did make one for MH20, works.
Not as well as PD35, as the MH20 corona is blistering around edges.

beb7a3910e8eeb9f1a20facaae944b5b.jpg

adeb2a36ad4be81c43c871197049ef8b.jpg

f3e9d0804a4e9bb4c322fc9715076c59.jpg

In this case, snoot slides back onto head to cover button an port if desired, or to increase spill again slightly.
This truly locks out light ☺

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind if this is derailed some here.

Take a look at this video KIL, it's a bit long an dry to start.
That is if you haven't already, it should help with the photons.
https://youtu.be/BhMIz_iJtzQ

Edit, if you read this, you can't escape the same, sorry ☺
I guess too late, my bad.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I caught dead spot in a photo, shows focused beam (photons) and spill from errant strays.
Particles making a wave☺
96ebaca25e70e709a9bdda61225fdb73.jpg

8ea6589f04d71b718c8da09a86d4475d.jpg

Obligatory blaster shot.☺
f97a6cfca3c3d7854bf13b36af516e12.jpg

With my snoot attached...
224c4c9e75857a1c85530ca770ef438e.jpg

3aed08f2ce5f4e6dc5fb433755f61231.jpg

Spill fills in some of dead spot.
Not sure if helps, hope it's at least entertaining

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a cheap sipik 68 for some few $. And if you like it, problem solved. If not, it's a great little light to mod. 1,5A driver and a xp-e2 will make it a tiny pocket thrower.

This was the obvious solution to me too, a zoom- OP even likes the square beams! But gives you the perfectly narrow focused beam, no spill, and can just slide back to all flood or anywhere in between when you want, instead of having to remove a make-shift contraption taped to the end of your light that doubles its length lol!

But the OP sounds like he is having fun with the process anyway more than anything (& nice work btw!), so that's the main thing. Just for reference, for anyone searching the archives coming across this thread's requirements, just be aware of the nicer solutions that do exactly this, just as they come from the factory. I'm totally sold on zoomables, most are great quality for the price too.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was the obvious solution to me too, a zoom- OP even likes the square beams! But gives you the perfectly narrow focused beam, no spill, and can just slide back to all flood or anywhere in between when you want, instead of having to remove a make-shift contraption taped to the end of your light that doubles its length lol!

But the OP sounds like he is having fun with the process anyway more than anything (& nice work btw!), so that's the main thing. Just for reference, for anyone searching the archives coming across this thread's requirements, just be aware of the nicer solutions that do exactly this, just as they come from the factory. I'm totally sold on zoomables, most are great quality for the price too.

If you want a thrower with a pencil-beam and no spill, a zoomable aspheric light is the obvious choice. Aspheric zoomies throw further than similar size lights with reflectors and they have no spill. They produce the long-distance profile the original poster is looking for.

Off-the-shelf ones tend to be low quality and have low output, but it is possible to mod them. My current EDC is just such a light: Aleto N8 modded with sideswitch, 20mm aspheric lens, FET driver, XPL HI emitter. Runs on one IMR 18650. Pocketable at 25mm x 94mm, and with quite respectable throw for a small tube-shaped EDC light (38K lux).

On the other hand, the OP is having a lot of fun with his well-executed bezel addon. It looks like a good idea for those who prefer the flood profile of a conventional reflector light most of the time.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. Just letting other readers know, but the OP should definitely keep having fun doing what he's doing.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I like this idea a lot. It's like the opposite of a diffuser! :D
When I saw your lid mod, I had a thought: instead of eliminating spill altogether, why not focus it? Maybe try sticking a magnifying lens in the lid. That way you could capture a bit more of the total output as well. More precisely, why not have a lens set to diffuse the initial output then a second lens to focus it? I'm not too knowledgeable about the math involved but the idea seems sound enough. You could even attach a sliding mechanism to the outside to refocus the light.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Shadow.☺
I'm still farting around with maglite heads, with something like that in mind.
At least there no tape, I've made rubber trim pieces and snoots just slide on lights like Olight and their diffusers. I still get to retain the light I like instead of other. Only one was long, as mentioned it was just a joke.
Anything that out throws the Javelot above is again, not a Javelot when snoot is removed. (Or with it on imo)

I still dislike aspherical (had a few sf)and I care not for most zoomies.
New Fenix, maybe☺

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like what you are doing WR. Cheap and easy fixes for a spot only light I dig it. Closest Ive got to a spot only light is 1)Ryobi HID 18volt 2800 lumen light from home depot(throws one nasty ugly veeery bright spot almost no spill and it sends it an easy 400k) and 2) the new Coast HP17 with the XP-L emitter. This light is HUGE but its also aspheric. The square hot spot does have a touch of spill but not to much.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers CC ☺
I find this handy when wanting to see without disturbing and goes right back to full light again if desired.
Cheap, quick and easy, you can have all three👍