• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

RCR123 in LS20

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to revisit this old idea - but having read through the previous info on this in old threads, I just wanted to double-check what the conclusion was: if you have one of the older gen LS20's, you can try running a RCR123 in it, compare lux readings with when run on primary CR123's, and if not brighter, you can be reasonable sure that it's 'safe' to run RCR123's -

However, if brighter, that means that you run the risk of burning out the LED, but not damaging the circuitry in the head, would that be correct?

Because if so, that's a risk I'm willing to take, esp. if it gives me more output on the rechargeable... =D

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have the first generation LS20 with the red nail polish on the back of the circuit board? Those came with Nexgen Circuit boards and boosted the current of the Golden Dragon above recommended levels when using a li-ion.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a quote from Don regarding the LS20 first generation:

The LunaSol 20 has a NG driver for driving the Osram Dragon LED and the significance here is that this light should not be used with 3.6 V rechargeable batteries. The LED will be damaged!

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, 1st gen w/ nail polish. I take it later gens did not have the nail polish?

Thanks for the quote. However this is also a quote by Don:

"Yes, you guys with SunDrops (Where did I come up with SnowDrops? ) may well find that the LED is not overdriven if powered by a R123. If you have a light meter, I suggest you take a lux reading off a primary CR123 and then take another lux reading at the same distance with a fresh R123 powering the converter. If the readings are similar then I would guess the overhead of the NG is sufficient to cover the Vin being above Vf of the LED. This has been the accepted "rule of thumb" in the past with the luxeons and Cree's but the low Vf of the Osram caught me by surprise and it was then that I decided to warn off the use of the NG on R123's. It turns out that these Dragons can handle 1 amp of current so you probably won't do any damage to them if you do run the LunaSol 20 on a R123. You will likely notice the Dragon is quite a bit brighter and your run time will likely suffer. You could well be above the regulated drive level for much of the R123's duty cycle. As for the R123's with the lower voltage, you will be good to go and in regulation; no problem."

So...yeah =)

reeso

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hijack your thread mcmc but what about using RCR123s in the Haiku?
If you can, what are the pros/cons of using them?
Thanks.

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Rechargeables are fine in the Haiku if there are no catastrophic consequences if you suddenly find yourself in the dark. If you are using protected cells, when the protection circuit kicks in, you don't get any more juice at all until you recharge the battery. There is no "letting the battery rest" in the hopes of getting a little more juice out of it. Usually the discharge curve for the rechargeables looks like the edge of a cliff not a gentle slope so when they go out, there is little or no warning. I learned this lesson well during Huricane Katrina.

Crash

fyrstormer

Banned
Actually, yes you can let the batteries rest and get more juice out of them. You won't get a lot, and if you're not already on the lowest setting you'd be well-advised to switch down as soon as you turn the light back on, but I know it works because I've done it myself several times.

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I guess there might be a lot of variables to consider in this equation. With the particular battery I had in my Lunasol at the time, I couldn't coerce another milliamp out of it no matter what I did. In any case, I believe primaries will probably give a bit more warning before going out entirely than the rechargeables. The best advice is to know what you can expect from your own equipment if you intend to use it in potentially crucial situations.

Crash

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeables are fine in the Haiku if there are no catastrophic consequences if you suddenly find yourself in the dark. If you are using protected cells, when the protection circuit kicks in, you don't get any more juice at all until you recharge the battery. There is no "letting the battery rest" in the hopes of getting a little more juice out of it. Usually the discharge curve for the rechargeables looks like the edge of a cliff not a gentle slope so when they go out, there is little or no warning. I learned this lesson well during Huricane Katrina.

Crash
hopefully you had primaries on hand when this occurred:whistle:

:nana:

fyrstormer

Banned
I guess there might be a lot of variables to consider in this equation. With the particular battery I had in my Lunasol at the time, I couldn't coerce another milliamp out of it no matter what I did. In any case, I believe primaries will probably give a bit more warning before going out entirely than the rechargeables. The best advice is to know what you can expect from your own equipment if you intend to use it in potentially crucial situations.

Crash
Just keep a spare battery tucked inside a small balloon with the end tied-off so it never gets wet.