Re: Arc...what am I missing?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arc...what am I missing?

I'm newer to this forum, and notice that there seems to be so much enthusiasm for Arc lights. I understand the excitement about the Luxeon Star, but what is the draw for the Arc-AAA and/or other Arc lights? Please en"light"en
rolleyes.gif
me. Thank you!
smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I could waffle on about the subject of "why do we all love the Arc lights?"- so I will cos waffle`s sort of what I do from time to time....

Basically, the Arc company`s president, Peter Gransee joined our board ages ago telling us of his exciting new light, an AAA powered LED light that many of us beforehand, had thought would be a good idea. Put crudely- a "perfect" CMG infinity- much smaller and brighter. Well since its announcement we have watched it "grow" ever since, being constantly kept up to date with its progress. This is the first time that a new manufacturer has joined us and taken part in the discussions with us. It`s sort of unique- having watched this new product being "born" (initial announcement), growing (design/development), reaching "adolescence" (prototypes/first production run), then finally "leaving home" (being released for sale), I guess many of us are just kind of attached to it.

Plus, sentimentalities aside, if it is possible to have such a thing towards a piece of electronic equipment, it is a damn good light! It more than exceeded our expectations and just keeps getting better- in part due to the feedback and general comments and suggestions posted by us lot here.

And- the Arc-LS is sort of like the "people`s light". Peter G announces his next new product here- an idea using maybe more than one LED and an AA battery. Puts up a load of suggestions and asks "what one do you like best?". Cutting it short(er), lots of discussing and suggesting later and he makes the bold move to try these new fangled Luxeon-Star LEDs, and a choice of batteries for almost every application. The Arc-LS is born, and we will watch it grow just like we did with its baby brother, hopefully to become similarly attached to it, and no doubt help it on its way once it "leaves home" with suggestions for further improvements or accessories.

Suppose you`ve got to be with us for a fair while before you get to know our strange ways!

did that make any sense?

tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus Peter is a heck of a nice guy- he has gone out of his way to help us out; from technical advice to acting as a "distributor" of the LS LEDs to those of us who want to play with them.

Even if his product was merely mediocre (instead of most excellent quality as it is), his willingness to help would inspire a certain amount of loyalty.

Brock

Flashaholic
I guess it started for me because I used to carry a 2 AAA mini mag all the time for work. It was to dim for some tasks and to big for most of my tasks. I then tried the Mag AAA solitaire (about 5 years ago) only to find it WAY to dim and unreliable. So I went to the net and looked for something small and bright, and found the Photon, but the batteries were a pain to change and not to cheap. It was (and still is) a good LED light and really small and then I found Surefire's, they fit the bill for really bright and still relatively small, I got the D2, and now the E2. So I began the quest for a single AAA sized LED light with the light output of the Photon, the infinity was ok, but to dim and to large to carry easily. Then came along Peter, he made the Arc and now I have the light I have always dreamed of, actually better then I would have hoped, better than a Mag in any case. Now Peter is developing the Arc LS (and I get to play with it) and this one looks like another great light.

So bottom line for me is he made the light I always wanted, Thanks Peter. (now he has to fit the LS in to the AAA size)
wink.gif
Maybe in the next year or two, I will be waiting...

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
"Out-In-The-Woods", Alabama "Home of hurricanes an
What they said! ....

PLUS ... The Arc AAA does one more great thing ... it has a circuit that keeps the light at near maximum brightness for most of the battery life. So, you are not using a light that dwindles in output, but stays bright until the poor little battery just can't keep it up anymore (~5 hours on a single AAA), then it switches to "moon mode" for an additional ~5 hours of reduced output instead of plunging you into total darkness.
By the time you are through with that battery, it's ready for the crapper (as Craig would say
grin.gif
).

Then, with another 50 cent battery, you are ready to go again. Great concept, excellent execution.

Are you convinced yet?
smile.gif

Latest posts