Re-chargeable lithium cr123 batteries

Robert33876

Newly Enlightened
I have just bought an Ultrafire WF138 charger and two Cytac 3.0 Volt RCR123A Li-ion rechargeable batteries. These are for use in a Princeton Apex Pro headtorch. I should be grateful if someone could comment on this particular combination of charger and battery and if when I use them in the Apex pro I can let them run until the light cuts out or if I have to re-charge them before this stage is reached? I am not sure at what level of discharge the Apex Pro will cut off the power and if this is too low and will ruin the battery. The re-chargeables also only have 650 mAh of power while the non-rechargeable ones have around 1300. Will this equal half run time of the non-rechargeable batteries in use?

Any answers to these questions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

Bozzlite

Enlightened
If you bought the WF-138A, you should be just fine with that battery as long as you always remember to set the switch to 3.0/3.2 volts and not 3.6/3.7

If you bought the WF-138B, that is only for 3.6/3.7 volt batteries and should not be used with the 3 volt batteries you have.

Definitely do not make a habit of running the batteries until the light cuts out. Try to keep the batteries topped off as much as possible. Frequent charging is easier on the batteries than a deep discharge. Hopefully, they are protected batteries.

Okay, here is the catch. The Apex Pro is designed for lithium primaries. I could see no where on the web site where they say that you can use rechargeables. On the other hand, they don't say you can't either.

I would contact them and find out before I put those in the light. Even tho the rcr123 rechargeable is called a 3 volt battery, they will come off the charger around 3.6 volts. That could be enough to burn up the circuitry or the bulb/LED.

If the manufacturer gives you the green light for rechargeables, you might want to look at the LiFePo4 rcr123 batteries which will work with the WF-138A. These are a safer chemistry battery, less prone to venting with flame, than an unprotected Li-Ion battery. You can find them at www.SuperTmanufacturing.com

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even tho the rcr123 rechargeable is called a 3 volt battery, they will come off the charger around 3.6 volts. That could be enough to burn up the circuitry or the bulb/LED.

Buzzlite, There are actually Li Ion chemistry batteries with a circuit in front that steps voltage down to 3V, which are meant to be a direct replacement for CR123 primaries. Here's an example of one from Tenergy: http://www.batteryjunction.com/rc390reliba.html I did a quick search on Cytac, and didn't find any evidence they made such batteries, but I know they exist. Robert, what makes you think these are 3V rechargeables? Can you post a link to your battery? First thing to make sure of is that what know what you're actually using.

To Robert, Li Ion rechargeables are safe when handled properly, but the penalty for mishandling can be burn-your-house-down serious. You're asking questions that make me think you may be a complete beginner to this technology, and your charger choice makes me wonder a bit too. If so, you owe it to yourself and everyone in your house to do a little basic reading first. You might start here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...section-added-12-27-11-Li-Ion-beginner-primer

Last edited:

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
> LI-ION > CYTAC RCR123 3.0V CYTAC 3.0 VOLT RCR123A LI-ION RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES
Cytac 3.0 Volt - 650 mAh RCR123A (16340) Batteries.
Protected PBC Type.

Cut and paste from a UK website :)

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Buzzlite, There are actually Li Ion chemistry batteries with a circuit in front that steps voltage down to 3V, which are meant to be a direct replacement for CR123 primaries. Here's an example of one from Tenergy: http://www.batteryjunction.com/rc390reliba.html I did a quick search on Cytac, and didn't find any evidence they made such batteries, but I know they exist. Robert, what makes you think these are 3V rechargeables? Can you post a link to your battery? First thing to make sure of is that what know what you're actually using.

To Robert, Li Ion rechargeables are safe when handled properly, but the penalty for mishandling can be burn-your-house-down serious. You're asking questions that make me think you may be a complete beginner to this technology, and your charger choice makes me wonder a bit too. If so, you owe it to yourself and everyone in your house to do a little basic reading first. You might start here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...section-added-12-27-11-Li-Ion-beginner-primer

Ah, ok, that's very good to know. I learn something every day here. I did find the Cytac website but it looks to me like the batts Robert has will be 3.6 volts off the charger.

I just don't want him to burn up his $75.00 head lamp.

Robert, I would suggest that you check out the link that Joe has provided to the Tenergy batteries at Battery Junction. Something to think about. You will still need to make sure you have a 3 volt charger and not a 3.7 volt charger.

Last edited:

Robert33876

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bozzlite - thanks for further advice. Although Princeton recommend 3v re-chargables for the Apex Pro there is evidence on the web that the torch will stand higher voltages. I was told by Flashaholics however, where I bought the Ultrafire Cytec combination that the batteries were 3v. They had AP batteries at 3.7 volt. The charger is also the switchable one that does 3 and 3.7. I have read Joe Talmadge's excellent intro to these batteries and I am now a bit worried. Do I really want these things on the back of me head? Another thing I am not sure about is how I judge when to recharge them. Apparently they can be run to cut off but then one has to rely on the technology cutting them off at the right time. What a minefield. I should have stuck to the slightly heavier 4 AA version of the Apex.

Robert