read n tie

Mrdi

Enlightened
Need an LED lamp to hang in the fishing van this summer to READ and tie flies. Can't use the car battery several days in a row w/o charging, so, looking for something that will last awhile out in the wilderness.
Thanks,
Mrdi

Gandalf

Enlightened
What about an Eternalight? It's dimmable, and has pretty long burn time, especially with lithium AA's. It can be hung up by it's lanyard hole, or stand on it's base. The Elite Xray , while costing more, is a better light in several respects...(Shamelessly promoting *my* personal favorite LED flashlight
grin.gif
wink.gif
)

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or a Tektite Expedition 300 - same as the Lightwave (3 C cells, 7 LEDs) - I just got one of these and will be posting a review on my site soon.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I really like the Black Diamond Moonlite headlamp. The light is always right where you want it and you are not limited to working or reading where you found a place to hang a light. Runtime isn't huge, but spare AAA's don't take much room.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
How about the CMG Bonfire...see Craig's review of this product...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't bother.... The longer I worked with this light, the less impressed I became with it. It's usable as a tent light, but IMHO it's built too large and bulky for it's components and purpose. Light output is OK, but it's single spectrum so forget about color recognition...

Mrdi

Enlightened
Doug, Does that mean you wouldn't recommend it for a reading light either?
What about an Ino X5 w/ a flashlight holder?
Thanks,
Mrdi

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would probably be just fine for reading in a tent - the soft, diffused amber light is nice on the eyes, but all it is is 3 amber LEDs behind a clear plastic diffuser. 2 AA's and a switch that either runs the current through a resistor (low setting) or not (high setting)... If you're going to be tying flies, you'll probably want to see the colors you're working with.

The X5 is kind of bright for a reading light, but it's warm, even white LED light would server pretty well in that role. If you're thinking about putting it in a "nite-eyez" strap that goes on your head and reading with it, it won't work too well - the head strap points the light straight forward, not down, and it's not adjustable in that way.

signals

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
The X5 is kind of bright for a reading light, but it's warm, even white LED light would server pretty well in that role. If you're thinking about putting it in a "nite-eyez" strap that goes on your head and reading with it, it won't work too well - the head strap points the light straight forward, not down, and it's not adjustable in that way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been using a Nite-Ize strap with a modded Mini MagLite, and I've found that with a little patience, I can get the strap on my head in such a way that the flashlight points slightly down in front of me. I can then read or work on something close up with both hands. Maybe it's just my unusually shaped cranium, but it works for me. It's not QUITE as convinenient as a real headlamp, but I don't use the headlamp much, and I'm more concerned with weight and space in my pack, and I have to carry a flashlight or two anyway.
wink.gif
So the Nite-Ize strap is perfect. I actually like the strap quite a bit, especially for backpacking.

-Kevin

Mrdi

Enlightened
No Head straps !
This is not a backpacking trip, I'll be gone for a month in far reaches of Northern Vancouver Island, back out on the logging roads with a van and a canoe and of course my Springer Spaniel. He can't read yet, we're still working on consonants though.
I could tie flies with another source, so it seems the requisite task is a light by which to read, and if I fall asleep and the light remains on for a few hours, no biggie.
I'll be primarily in a prone position while reading. The source of power could be either AA or 123 or...? I'm flexible, but space is a concern.Currently I've purchased for the trip an E2e and an ARC with the 3 battery cases.
Just seems to me from the reading here that an LED source would be the most beneficial for reading and a lantern could hang from above my head, but would need to have longevity.
Great Forum by the way!
Thanks,
Mrdi