PT EOS IMPORTANT UPDATE PLS READ

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Any beam shots from the replacement Ron sent. Guessing the older one may have been the 50 lumen EOS.

That one's on its way to Beacon of Light right now, he should get it by Monday. I'll borrow the one from Brightguy for comparison if it's different from the first one I got from Ron I'll post comments and beamshots.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just received a new 70 lumen eos from brightguy. One problem is it appears that from a few feet away, from a wall the hot spot is not centered, it is alittle low. I have also noticed this in 2 of the 50 lumen eos headlamps that i've had. Is this common. Im not sure if i should send it back. Brightguy said they will only send a new one if it is considered defective,and they said they would have to determine if it is off-centered enough to be defective.

Any opinions would be appreciated

Hi arizona1 and :welcome:.

The first 70 lumen Eos I got was off-centered also, I didn't distinguish it at first and could only see that the hotspot was low and skewed to the side when viewed 8" or less from the wall. This was the main reason I disassembled the light, I noticed the red positive wire was routed under the star and optic housing skewing the mating of the star with the optic housing. I rerouted both wires and made sure the optic housing fit properly on the four mounting pins and that the star mated correctly and reassembled, the shotspot is dead center how. I suggest you disassemble your light, it's actually very easy all you need is a 1/16" and 3/32" drill bit (no drill required spun the bits with my fingers) to remove the two mounting pin buttons you see after removing the batteries, only remove the amount of stock required to pull out the housing with your fingers. If you're not willing to do this to your new light return it. The hotspot is dead center on the new EOS I got from Brightguy.

Picture of the two buttons removed exposing the mounting pin shafts.
CopyofIMG_0013.jpg

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Wondering if the 70 is that much brighter then the 50. What do you guys think so far?

arizona1

Newly Enlightened
Gazerbeam,

It sounds like this might work;however, im new to the world of headlamps, and dont really understand what your saying. I dont know what the mating of the star is, or the optic housing. If you could just describe it a little more please.

Thanks

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
This is the first headlamp that I have disassembled and was surprised how easily it came apart. Take a look at this video by Dave, it explains allot. Once you get the EOS apart and can study the design I think you'll figure it out. If you need more help speak up. :)

arizona1

Newly Enlightened
Gazerbeam,

I took apart my eos, but i dont know what to do now. It doesnt look like the wires are touching anything. The optic housing looks like it is level on all 4 pins, but i cant take it off, it seems to be stuck on there pretty good. The hot spot is still low, any suggestions.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Is the star flush (no gap all the way around) with the bottom of the optic housing? Is the optic snapped in all the way and flush with the top of the housing? You can use your finger nail and snap out the optic and the housing, it's in there tight. Does the led sit correctly in the rectangular cut out that's made for it? Look at the pictures on post #73.

Last edited:

arizona1

Newly Enlightened
Is the star flush (no gap all the way around) with the bottom of the optic housing? Is the optic snapped in all the way and flush with the top of the housing? You can use your finger nail and snap out the optic and the housing, it's in there tight. Does the led sit correctly in the rectangular cut out that's made for it? Look at the pictures on post #73.

I checked everything, it all looks ok. I cant understand why the hot spot is still a little low. I dont know quite how to explain exactly what it looks like. It has the spill, which is a perfectly round circle, but that darn hotspot sits low, i guess i'll just get use to it.:confused:

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
When you reassembled the star with the housing did it snap into place? One of the tabs on the optic sticks out further and must go on the same side as the negative wire. Pull the assembly back out of the main housing and inspect the mating of the star with the optic housing is it slightly skewed?

arizona1

Newly Enlightened
When you reassembled the star with the housing did it snap into place? One of the tabs on the optic sticks out further and must go on the same side as the negative wire. Pull the assembly back out of the main housing and inspect the mating of the star with the optic housing is it slightly skewed?

When you reassembled the star with the housing did it snap into place? -not 100% sure what you mean. The housing (when it is on the four pins) is tight on the negative side, but it is loose on the pins on the positive side.

One of the tabs on the optic sticks out further and must go on the same side as the negative wire- yes it is on the right way.

Pull the assembly back out of the main housing and inspect the mating of the star with the optic housing is it slightly skewed?- please explain again, i'm not sure what your saying.

Thanks for your help.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Remove the optic, remove the optic housing from the four pins (the star should stay attached to the optic housing), and inspect the star it should fit perfectly to the bottom of the housing. If not use your finger nail to separate the star from the housing look it over then reassemble the star and housing by aligning the led with its custom rectangular cut out on the housing, press firmly until it "snaps" into place.

Last edited:

kungfufyter

Newly Enlightened
gazerbeam, i just got an eos (70 lumens) from REI, bike version. how come your dissembled housing shows a clear lens, whereas mine is frosted?

kungfufyter

Newly Enlightened
gazerbeam: yes... i mean that your exterior housing shows a clear lens, whereas on the eos that i just bought from REI, there is a frosted lens.

also, do you know if, other than the "1010" sticker inside the battery compartment, is there any way to tell if a particular unit is the 70 lumen model without taking it apart?

my new EOS (bike version) has the 1010 sticker inside the battery compartment and has the "70 lumen" sticker on the packaging. However, i was wondering if the battery "1010" sticker might also be on the 50 lumen version, although I see that your 25 lumen version has a differently numbered sticker inside.

thanks for all the help. =)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
gazerbeam: yes... i mean that your exterior housing shows a clear lens, whereas on the eos that i just bought from REI, there is a frosted lens.

The lens is clear for all versions of the EOS. The optic is frosted in the last two versions. The optic and the lens are two separate parts. I hope that clears things up for you.

vtunderground

Enlightened
...also, do you know if, other than the "1010" sticker inside the battery compartment, is there any way to tell if a particular unit is the 70 lumen model without taking it apart?

my new EOS (bike version) has the 1010 sticker inside the battery compartment and has the "70 lumen" sticker on the packaging. However, i was wondering if the battery "1010" sticker might also be on the 50 lumen version, although I see that your 25 lumen version has a differently numbered sticker inside.

PT upgraded the light before they updated the packaging... so if your packaging says 70 lumens, you have a 70 lumen light.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gazerbeam I did receive it Monday from you (70 lumen EOS) and thanks so much! First noticeable difference is the nut that holds the battery lid closed. On this new one it appears like it is some kind of metal where the last one IIRC was black plastic. EDIT: upon inspection on my old EOS the knurling is wearing off some of the black finish and I do see it is also metal (weird all this time I thought it was plastic.)

It's weird as the first time I turned this on when clicking through to get low I overshot and hit the flashing mode. Odd I never remember it one my last EOS even though it has to have it since it too is a 4 mode EOS, just that I rarely ever use anything other than low.

I'll have to unpack my older EOS to compare but initially with new Eneloops in this new 70 lumen EOS, to my eyes even low seems brighter which other people would probably like but I would have wished it had gotten lower. I did a quick side by side and it seemed about the same as the low on my recently purchased PT Remix on low (3 white leds) which is still fairly bright. The Remix has more flood than the EOS, but the EOS is plenty of flood and a wide enough hotspot for many tasks.

I do think the EOS is probably the best all around utilitarian headlamp and the most bang for the buck that you get. My other wishes would be if they could make an EOS with the same led and optic with a 1xAA in mind. Improvements could be to start low on first since I hate having to click through 3 times every time as that is all I ever use. Lastly if they could add a 5th moon mode for battery saving emergency survival needs and super long run-time.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok initial side by side comparisons. The older EOS has what would be best described as a greenish tint in comparison. Having said that, all the time I used the EOS I never perceived a greenish tint at all and I recall back when the Quark Tis came out with XP-Gs and were very green I had comparison shots where I was using the EOS as a reference for what pure white was, as it was the best example of a pure cool white in a light I owned at that time.

EDIT: After I posted this I realized why I never noticed the greenish tint to the older EOS, and that is because the greenish tint was the newer 70 lumen model. I got them reversed.

The 70 lumen (mind you it is still daytime and I am making these comparisons indoors on a beige carpet) seems more like a pure white to me, and there is a larger yet more diffuse hot spot (still reminds me of the difference between the hotspots of say the R2 XP-E Quarks and the XP-G R5 Quarks) with the overall perception of more flood. I will test this out later around midnight to get a good comparison for outdoor use.

The low seems about the same but the difference in the floodier beam may make it seem lower and I will report on this tonight. Overall I'd say this is an improvement over the older EOS.

The flashing mode for anyone that cares, seems to flash faster on the older EOS. Not significantly but if you start them at different intervals, eventually the old EOS will "catch up" to the new EOS and then pass it after 3-4 minutes.

Lastly, how do we date code our EOS models to find out which version we have. I'm not sure what version my older EOS is which I always assumed it was the current version before this newest 70 lumen model 45 or 50 lumen.

EDIT: My old one is 1209 and new one is 1310.

Last edited: