Build quality is good But Some minor finishing flaws...​

2008112702244343.jpg

2008112702244912.jpg

2008112702244975.jpg

2008112702245003.jpg

2008112702245071.jpg

2008112702245109.jpg

2008112702245146.jpg

This light is good value for the money...
But it's not original~ :D

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Real SPEAR VS kaidomain's SPEAR clon

Interesting that the copy looks like it throws a slightly tighter spot.

It's a shame they copied it, but at least they did a good job. This one is even closer than the DX Tiablos.

Now I think that we will have to be skeptical any brand-name light from DX/KD because the counterfeiters have gotten so good (or use the original facility illicitly.)

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting that the copy looks like it throws a slightly tighter spot.

It's a shame they copied it, but at least they did a good job. This one is even closer than the DX Tiablos.

Now I think that we will have to be skeptical any brand-name light from DX/KD because the counterfeiters have gotten so good (or use the original facility illicitly.)

It's a shame they copied it, but at least they did a good job.

That's still not an excuse to forgive this disgraceful and dishonest business practice. :thumbsdow

I don't care how good it is, cloning is just wrong.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow!

That's quite a copy! It's so good that I wonder if it is almost within unit-to-unit variability. From the pics, it's pretty hard to tell which is which.

I wonder if it comes from the same factory?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking on the images I'm pretty sure that it must be from the same factory. Only visible difference is the driver.

Maybe they are built using stolen parts from the orginal factory? You can be pretty sure somebody is getting ripped-off in this whole process, and hard-working people are getting hurt... I'd like to know what Edgetac/Nitecore has to say about this...

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Edgetac,

While you're here reading this thread:

When are you going to make smooth reflector available for us to buy?
Ever?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice photos.

I also got mine today. It's probably from the factory that made the original run of Spear lights. EdgeTac/NitCore etc. dropped the design from what I presume a too low profit margin. It's very possible that the design were sold or taken over by the factory. The only differences I can see are two fewer o-rings, that the switch is reverse and that the driver is an 1050 mA AMC7135 2 level. Really good quality and finish, perfect reflector and a coated 3 mm glass lens. The driver is good quality, but it has a slightly weaker output and regulation on 18650 than the original driver that had 1200 mA and flat regulation. I use the same 2 level driver in my modding builds, mainly Maglites. Output is 25% less with this driver, but it's really easy to unscrew the pill and change the driver to something more powerful.

/Stefan

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Curious...
Does this light really emit THAT much heat from the reflector/heatsink/bezel assembly? Just looking at how all the parts stack together, there doesn't appear to be much of a thermal path between the pill and the shiny heatsink in the bezel.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

All the heat goes to the body, very little to the reflector. It's there for show. (And I like it)

harada77

Newly Enlightened

Nice photos.

I also got mine today. It's probably from the factory that made the original run of Spear lights. EdgeTac/NitCore etc. dropped the design from what I presume a too low profit margin. It's very possible that the design were sold or taken over by the factory. The only differences I can see are two fewer o-rings, that the switch is reverse and that the driver is an 1050 mA AMC7135 2 level. Really good quality and finish, perfect reflector and a coated 3 mm glass lens. The driver is good quality, but it has a slightly weaker output and regulation on 18650 than the original driver that had 1200 mA and flat regulation. I use the same 2 level driver in my modding builds, mainly Maglites. Output is 25% less with this driver, but it's really easy to unscrew the pill and change the driver to something more powerful.

/Stefan

Can I use 2 x CR123 or 18650 only? Kai said it's Direct Drive... :shakehead

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice photos.

/Stefan

I believe you could also add another 7135 chip on top of an existing one. I have a board that came stock like that. It wouldn't give flatter regulation, but it would net 350mA more.

Not that I'm condoning the purchase of counterfeit products.

j2kei

Newly Enlightened

i think this is great in a way. i love the body design of the spear, it looks so kool. thing is, even though its a clone, its still expensive :(

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think this is great in a way. i love the body design of the spear, it looks so kool. thing is, even though its a clone, its still expensive :(

Considering what you get for $48 it's not a bad deal. Mine has a finish that matches the Spear, I also prefer the reverse switch which probably will last a lot longer than the forward one. I think this is a good candidate for a little CREE MC-E magic.

DM51

Flashaholic

Promotion of counterfeit item prohibited - thread closed.

DM51

Flashaholic

Following representations, I'm re-opening this. My use of the word counterfeit above was incorrect, as this item appears to be a no-name clone, which is a different matter, as it does not purport to be something it isn't.

The principal reason for the original closure of the thread was on grounds of advertising, although I did not make that sufficiently clear. The debate on the relative merits of the 2 versions of the light overrides that consideration for now, although that could change. We'll see how the thread goes.

Wattnot

Enlightened

Since the Spear is no longer available, it's really a moot point that it's a copy. I'm with the folks that are betting it's from the same factory and/or tooling.

At least you can still get that type of light and the copy looks like it throws farther too. Now if the Spear was still being made by Raidfire, then I agree it would be wrong to support that copy in any way.