Real World Review - LED's that cut through

flame2000

Enlightened
garageguy said:
Awhile back I took some pictures in my garage with a fog machine and some of my lights to see the beam characteristics. If anyone is interested I could do some more with different lights this weekend. These are all LED lights but I do have some incans too.

I wish you had an Inova T3 or XO3 with you when you were doing these shots! It will be great to see how focus the beam were in these fog you created.:) :goodjob:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Instead of a yellow LED, how about something like one of the new MagLEDs (2AA, 3AA, 2D, 3D, etc.) with one of their yellow plastic lenses installed? I wonder how that would work out...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Aren't fog machines fueled my chemical fluids? That's different than the water mist presented in natural fogs. Great shots though.
Actually, fog and smoke machines are completely different from each other both in the composition of the cloud they make and in the individual properties of each cloud.

Smoke machines do use a chemical fluid to produce a smoke that:
  • Doesn't smell bad
  • Isn't generally irritating to eyes or lungs
  • Is formulated to resist disipation for as long as possible
Fog machines make their cloud by dropping dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide) into boiling water to produce a fog that has some properties similar to real fog:
  • It's colder and denser than smoke, so it hangs closer to the ground and will flow over obstructions like fog.
  • It is made up of carbon dioxide vapor instead of water vapor.
  • It dissipates more rapidly than the output of a smoke machine.
  • Fog doesn't leave a slippery residue over everything after repeated use. This makes fog sometimes preferred for shows with a lot of action or dancing.
Sometimes a theatre's tech crew will combine the two different effects by running the output of a smoke machine through an apparatus that cools it before release to create a cooled smoke that has some of the properties of both smoke and fog. It will hang close to the floor for a while (until it warms up) and will resist dissipation.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
Actually, fog and smoke machines are completely different from each other both in the composition of the cloud they make and in the individual properties of each cloud.

Smoke machines do use a chemical fluid to produce a smoke that:
  • Doesn't smell bad
  • Isn't generally irritating to eyes or lungs
  • Is formulated to resist disipation for as long as possible
Fog machines make their cloud by dropping dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide) into boiling water to produce a fog that has some properties similar to real fog:
  • It's colder and denser than smoke, so it hangs closer to the ground and will flow over obstructions like fog.
  • It is made up of carbon dioxide vapor instead of water vapor.
  • It dissipates more rapidly than the output of a smoke machine.
  • Fog doesn't leave a slippery residue over everything after repeated use. This makes fog sometimes preferred for shows with a lot of action or dancing.
Sometimes a theatre's tech crew will combine the two different effects by running the output of a smoke machine through an apparatus that cools it before release to create a cooled smoke that has some of the properties of both smoke and fog. It will hang close to the floor for a while (until it warms up) and will resist dissipation.
Pretty good explanation. I thought dry ice was totally outdated... Really interesting piece of info.

Thanks Sub_Umbra.:)