Reality check.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
IDEALLY for me. A fairly small light (ie, a couple of CR's or something) that has adjustable beam for throw and flood but most importantly flood with good max power and long runtime.

I have found that I have little use for 20-40 min runtime lights as they quickly lose their max power and I get disappointed. I love my little lights as they can fit in the pocket.
100-200 lumens is plenty for just about anything but if I can't get a couple of hours of it, what do I need it for. That's why I got the Nitecore Extreme and I will use it as a primary and maybe emergency flashlight due to it's super long runtime on lowest setting. Imagine you get stuck somewhere and this thing runs for days on lowest setting. It could save your life or keep you from going crazy and I tell you, the lowest setting is ENOUGH if it's DARK outside and in an emergency, it usually is. Think 9-11 and you're buried under all that concrete for a week.

I have little use for huge lights or 6D maglights unless I'm going into gang bang territory and if I do that, a good gun will do the job better.

I would like it to take at least a good rain but if it handles a drop in the pool, even better.

I do NOT carry a light with me at all times.

As for quality of light? I'm not sure if this means build quality or LIGHT quality. I prefer a white beam if this answers it and of course, a well built light.

George

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened
I install outdoor lighting, Christmas lights, landscape lights, deck lights, etc. I use a light about every other day for work. Under decks, houses, etc.

Important-
reliability- It's gotta work.
adjustable brightness- allows me to us a single light in different situations. available rechargable battery- I don't want to buy an endless supply of throwaways.
smaller size- I use lights in my work, and I don't have two hands to hold a light. a light that can go in a headband or I can hold in my mouth temporarily works for me
water resistant- I need to be able to drop it in a puddle and still work
floody beams- I use them at 10 feet and under 95% of the time.
available crazy brightness- I like to show off to my friends.

not important-
finishes. i could care less about red, ha 2 or 3 or whatever. they all scuff off when I drag them on rock or brick.
throw- I rarely need to spotlight a wolf on the other canyon wall
SOS and Strobe- I don't do RAVE's and I probably will not see a plane if I am deserted on an island.
clickies or twisties. I am capable of turning a flashlight or pushing a button. two clickies have failed me and no twisties, so I guess I am developing a preferance for twisties because they seem to work.
ultra high end models over 70 bucks. Although I ordered a RAW al with tritrium, I doubt I will carry it to work. maybe this'll be my date flashlight?
Modding- I don't have the time. If it isn't a drop in, I'll buy a modded one.
name brands. If it works and is tough, i don't care if it says fenix or DX.
Runtime- I expect runtime to decrease as brightness increases if the size of the batteries is constant. I can always grab a bigger light.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Enlightened
i could care less about red, ha 2 or 3 or whatever. they all scuff off when I drag them on rock or brick

SOS and Strobe- I don't do RAVE's and I probably will not see a plane if I am deserted on an island

clickies or twisties. I am capable of turning a flashlight or pushing a button. two clickies have failed me and no twisties, so I guess I am developing a preferance for twisties because they seem to work.

Hard anodizing. 2 is good. And heck, I would like a red Surefire 6P, that would be hot.

Strobe, RAVE's, LOL. :crackup:

I agree with the twist on switch. +1.