Check out the new Maratac Nichia AAA Copper!

wolfgaze

Enlightened
The MLH mode sequence is ideal for my uses too... I'm using Medium mode 98% of the time... Essentially, for me, these lights are like a single mode twisty...

cancow

Newly Enlightened
They make these all the time. They make them, run out, and make another batch. AA copper is what they need to make another batch of. Maybe even a 2AA copper!

sbslider

Enlightened
Best I can tell so far my Maratac Nichia AAA appears to be regulated. I base this on the visual run time test I just completed (40 + minutes) of what appears to my eyes as constant output. I have not tried a 4 hour test on medium yet, perhaps tomorrow while I am at work I will run the worm and Maratac at the same time. Then at the end of the day take a look at the voltage and current characteristics to see if they also suggest the light is regulated.

MJGEGB

Newly Enlightened
I'm another big fan of the MLH mode sequence. The Rev one Maratac AAA was my first decent LED light and I came to realize that the sequence worked best for me. It was my soul EDC light for about 6 years give or take until in gave up it's ghost. I ordered the new copper Nichia version​ as a replacement as soon as I became aware of it. I really like the Nichia on my L08 but the size, weight and mode sequence make it a no go for my personal EDC.

I find the medium mode is enough light 90% of the time, low is my second most used mode and I can always cover the front of the light while switching modes. And with the number of random light sources in a modern home I find a sub lumen mode to be pretty ineffective so the L08 has become my go to for camping trips. My new Maratac should be waiting for me when I get home. For me it seems like about the perfect light.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those wondering how quickly copper develops a patina, I've had mine for a few days now and it's already developing a nice patina so it doesn't take long at all.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

for someone who wants to develop patina on a copper light, I suggest wiping it down with alcohol, to strip any oil residue from the manufacturing process

patina can be accelerated with ammonia, salt, plant food, seawater, and also builds more quickly in humid climates. Setting the light outdoors in the rain will also accelerate patina..

yes, urine will also accelerate patina, but then every time you use the light, you might be reminded of where its been.. so for me, Urine patina is not ideal, though certainly effective :)

Im not attached to patina, mine comes and goes depending how much I handle the light. Sometimes I even repolish my copper lights, just for fun, or because I lego and want to match old and new to restart patina together..

for our patina viewers, here are some variations
33210366255_91ee1c21fc_b.jpg

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
My light is already darkening and showing signs of developing a patina... 5 days out of the vacuum-sealed bag....

MJGEGB

Newly Enlightened
My light is already darkening and showing signs of developing a patina... 5 days out of the vacuum-sealed bag....

I just got mine in last night, and it almost immediately started to form a patina after handling it. Of course being that it was immediately put into the roll of my primary EDC flashlight, tossed on my keychain and put to use installing a new window regulator/motor in my truck it's probably no surprise.

The weight is definitely noticeable compared to my old aluminum version. 1oz empty vs .4oz for the Aluminum. The light weight backpacker part of me is conflicted, but the reality is it olny makes a difference so far when using the light hands free via the mouth hold. As others have stated the threads are smooth, the knurling feels fantastic, better than the harsh knurling on the Lumintop Tools that I own. It looks great, and the tint is amazing. The UI is responsive and I haven't noticed any flickering like I have seen on my PWM based drivers. To be clear I don't mean the PWM itself but the light output itself would occasionally flicker on those older drivers on at least two examples that I have. Needless to say, I'm very happy with the new Maratac AAA Rev 4 Copper Nichia so far. Looking forward to using and abusing it for years to come.

Last edited:

sbslider

Enlightened
The weight is definitely noticeable compared to my old aluminum version. 1oz empty vs .4oz for the Aluminum. The light weight backpacker part of me is conflicted, but the reality is it old makes a difference so far when using the light hands free via the mouth hold.

I hear you on this. What I decided was 0.5oz won't break my pack, and trying to find another black item versus the nice colored copper item is worth it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
using the light hands free via the mouth hold
Great report, congrats!
Im also weight sensitive, but for a Copper Maratac, I make the exception
Copper is a very special material to me. It disinfects itself in 90 minutes, so the "germs" from my mouth are sterilized before the next use. I also use my copper light as a hand sanitizer (never said I wasn't weird.. LOL)

I also use a mouth hold at times, and when Im wearing a cap, instead of a beret, I really like the option to clip the Maratac to my hat (thanks to the reversible pocket clip) for hands free use:
29081012961_6dba117c2a_b.jpg

note I have bobbed the tail of the clip so it no longer prevents tailstanding
32401863943_33deb1577d_b.jpg

another useful trick, for me, is to keep a magnet available in my car, so I can attach the light, and aim it: (these are on my fridge for illustration)
33114441042_24bdd3e8bf_b.jpg

33228805176_131a9c00df_b.jpg

32455474013_03eea5865b_c.jpg

here I have one neodymium above and below the map band on the visor. Magnets live there, they do not come off when I remove the light
30883443486_4ffd5762bd_b.jpg

another example, in my camper (which has a lot of exposed magnetic surfaces)
30803296192_8b47e3c1e4_b.jpg

note the magnets are binding to the battery, it has nothing to do with the material the light is made of, and I do not glue the magnets to anything.. completely movable.

one more magnet example, this is a cell phone holder, the rubber coated magnet clips to the air vent
32889861583_04015899e5_b.jpg

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
SyH0PgMh.jpg

Currently I'm trying to find out if CountyComm would be open to stocking these pocket clips in the stainless steel finish...I will update this thread if/when I receive more info....

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I actually prefer the MLH like they have it now though. I wish my titanium AA was the same instead of LMH. Medium is my most used mode on every light I own, the only times I use low modes is when it's completely dark and I don't want to wake up the baby or ruin my night vision. Otherwise it's always medium or high which is a good 90% of my use. I prefer they stick with the MLH personally :)

Want me to swap it to m-l-h?

Edit: never mind, I thought you were talking about AAA. I can swap AAA to m-l-h. Not AA.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
It looks like we may see the stainless steel pocket clips available thru CountyComm in approximately 2 months time - for anyone who's interested....

rickdarris2004

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered one up. Great looking little light. Would be interested in the steel clip as well. I will have to keep an eye out!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
stainless steel pocket clips
maybe contact Lumintop for spare Titool clips
I predict a copper plated clip on a Cutool w electronic switch, will follow the brass plated clip on the Brass Tool :)
_UPz said:

I tried the Silver clip on my CuMararac, and Cutool, and decided the black clip looks better with the copper patina color, once it is not shiny new.. YMMV

wolfgaze

Enlightened
maybe contact Lumintop for spare Titool clips
I predict a copper plated clip on a Cutool w electronic switch, will follow the brass plated clip on the Brass Tool :)

I looked into that but Lumintop doesn't have the clips for sale on their site and I need to order 2-3 of them, so it's unlikely if I contact their service dept that they would be able to send me that many... So I'll just wait for CC to stock them and I'll order them at $2.50 a pop...

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I tried the Silver clip on my CuMararac, and Cutool, and decided the black clip looks better with the copper patina color, once it is not shiny new.. YMMV

That brass clip looks like it would match well with the titanium Tool and it's gold ring on the head...

Swap them and take a photo : D

Last edited:

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
SyH0PgMh.jpg

Currently I'm trying to find out if CountyComm would be open to stocking these pocket clips in the stainless steel finish...I will update this thread if/when I receive more info....

Just grab a Dremel and polishing wheel. Doesn't take long.