Really tiny PIC microcontroller announced!!!

php_44

Enlightened
Some of us are making home brew lights with switching regulators and would like to add features to our lights like dimming, flashing, preset levels, etc - but many of the existing micros come in packages that are simply too big.

Microchip just announced the 10Fxxx family of teeny-tiny micros. They come in a 6 pin SOT23 package and cost $0.50 us in quantity. They have a built in fairly precise 4mhz oscillator, and have 4 I/O pins available. You can stuff in 256-512 instructions and use 16-24 bytes of RAM. They run from 2v-5.5v. They have a timer, a watch dog timer, deep sleep mode (100nA - very low power), wake up on pin change, and some have a built in comparator. They are flash based and in-circuit programmable. The I/O pins can source or sink 25mA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm going to try and get some. I really like the small size, and bet that as general release date draws near there will be additional (possibly smaller) package types available - though smaller than SOT23 gets really tough to hand solder!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Although they don't have a lot of code & RAM space - for the simple functions I would like they are perfect. Think of a really stripped down ARC4.

paulr

Flashaholic
I thought some PIC16xx's had been available in SOIC-8 for quite a while. That's small enough for most flashlights; is SOT23 even smaller?

php_44

Enlightened
A SOIC-8 is 5mm x 6mm if you're talking about the board footprint - and about 1.5mm high. This is 30 sq-mm of board space, and 45 cubic mm of volume.

A SOT-23 package (6 pins) has a board footprint of 3mm x 2mm and 1mm high. This is 6 sq-mm of board space (five times less than a SOIC-8), and 6 cubic mm of volume (7.5 times less than a SOIC8).

Actually the smallest package you could get a PIC in before now is a MLF 8, which is the same board area as a SOIC8 at 6mm x 5mm, but the MLF8 is only 1mm high.

When we're talking about a drop in convertor for a pocket light where the board space is limited - this SOT23 package is a huge benefit. For instance - I bet the famous "sandwich shop" modules could accomodate this micro on board, where a SOIC-8 probably would not fit. I have a number of similar sized homebrew modules that will similarly benefit. Another area is flashlight bulb replacements. Think of a smart "EverLED-like" form factor, that can be moved between lights. Finally - I can now think about turning my 'LS grey kits into smart lights since although a SOIC8 or even MLF8 won't fit on those boards - a SOT23 certainly will.

Heck - you want a luxeon star that will flash out an SOS, morse code, fade on and off, or behave like a strobe? You could glue one of these to the side of an LS with a SOT23 FET on the other side and have a smart high power LED. You could do this with a 5mm LED with no FET by gluing the 1mm thick micro to the case bottom - and it wouldn't even stick out on the sides /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

php_44

Enlightened
Apparently there are samples available now, with production starting in July. Microchip is rather famous for jumping the gun, so July might be optimistic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
php_44 said:
Apparently there are samples available now, with production starting in July. Microchip is rather famous for jumping the gun, so July might be optimistic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you let me know Where I can find the link for the sample request? It is categorized as "future product", but I am quite anxious to try it out.

No ADC, but 1 analog comparator with internal absolute voltage reference (0.6V). Good enough to handle low voltage lockout for Li-Ion, but too much voltage drop to manage constant current flow IMO. But will make a perfect brightness controller without current regulation in small size such as Arc-AA.

-- dj

Lucien

Enlightened
WOW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

I really have a lot of catching up to do... I'm still behind time on ordering the stuff I need for the uP based switcher I wanted to build.

This will be lots of fun to play with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
That EM part looks nice but unfortunately it's mask programmed, not so great for modders.

billw

Enlightened
> Would you let me know Where I can find the link for the sample request?

I think they're sampling to 'select customers'; my company's microchip rep said they were sampling, but they haven't shown up through the "general purpose" sample program that microchip has. So you can probably get them if you have good excuses for wanting them. I didn't, so I didn't explore any further. But I *want* some.

SOT-23 is the generic SMT transistor package, BTW. It's been extended for 4 to 6 pins for "tiny logic", op amps, and such for a while now, but squeezing a microcontroller in there is pretty impressive. IMHO.

BillW

Willmore

Enlightened
Actually, there is an 8 pin version of the SOT-23 out there, so there might be home--if these guys sell well--to migrate some of the other current 8 pin parts into that package. That would assume that their die sizes are small enough to fit in the lead frame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That might be an issue. SOT-23 is tiny....

paulr

Flashaholic
Do the leads stick out of the side of the package and does that use more board space? Or are they made with J leads(?)? It it even possible to hand assemble a board with those?

php_44

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Do the leads stick out of the side of the package and does that use more board space? Or are they made with J leads(?)? It it even possible to hand assemble a board with those?

[/ QUOTE ]

The specified size of 2.5mm x 3mm is the board footprint, since this package has gullwing leads. The package itself is roughly 1.6mm x 3mm - in case you want to trim the leads a little. This SOT23 package can be hand soldered, primarily because of the gull wing leads. If it were "J" leads or BGA then it might not be easily hand solderable.

Latest posts