Recoating Reflector

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened
I would like to have the aluminum reflector for my VSS-3A recoated. Can anybody point me to a good place. Better yet one they have used in the past for similar reflectors.. Thanks.

BVH

Flashaholic
I cannot remember any of the CPF VSS-3 or 3A owners who have had the reflector re-coated. I don't remember any of them saying anything negative about the surface of their reflectors. Mine and my previous 2nd light both had what I would call 85% - 90% reflectors. They have fine scratches from cleaning but are basically still very reflective. It's Rhodium so would be pretty expensive and would require a large fluid vessel which might limit the possible sources. It might be cheaper to look for another VSS3 or 3A light head without the control box and use the reflector from it and save the rest of the parts for spares. There's a bare -3 on Ebay for $413.

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened
The reflector looks ok, but just as you said there are fine scratches. I was uncertain how they might diminish the output.. I guess for as old as the unit is, it could be much worse..
I finally have the light painted and found the perfect tripod. It is from a AN/PPS-6 Radar unit, took a little work to fit it on its balance point, but it worked well with Azimuth & Altitude adjustments. I went with teflon coated wires, same used for the VSS-3A interior. Now just waiting on connectors..

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/Dbz44tQRMPXnVC9CFR66fesjXarbFOiSIECig8EmpAk
Dbz44tQRMPXnVC9CFR66fesjXarbFOiSIECig8EmpAk
Dbz44tQRMPXnVC9CFR66fesjXarbFOiSIECig8EmpAk

Last edited:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
That housing cleaned up nice. Very sharp.

I've asked several manufacturers about refurbishment and was told it's not a feasible process for Rhodium. It's too durable to strip. The Optiforms website says they do refurbishment up to 25" diameter, and that they can strip and reapply "gold, silver, aluminum; including AF, AQ and EA coatings". Also says they can fix minor surface blemishes with buffing and polishing. That would probably be all you need in this case. No charge for them to take a look, but I'd send pics first since shipping might be a lot.

Optiforms_Todd

Newly Enlightened
Indeed Rhodium is a permanent coating, stripping it would damage the substrate and sanding or polishing it off is not a good process either. Our polishing department does a great job in refurbishing reflectors. We are always happy to quote from pictures, or you can get a replacement reflector as well.

Jeep1234

Newly Enlightened
I have heard of ( read in the forum somewhere) a refurbishing service for the Vss-1 2.2Kw searchlight, an older cousin of the -3. The service was to mount a new costly reflector in the lamps reflector arbor. Have no information on such a service for the lamp in question.

That being said, I may have a reflector available ( if my buddy wants to sell it) for a better price than buying a whole new housing for 413$ but it is up to him. Ill ask. We can corrospond and if it is worth it to him. We also stock complete turnkey assembly from control to lamp. These are primarily what my friend is selling.

That is a great tripod assembly, I am going to do this with mine, or something similar.

Latest posts