Recommend a practical LEP.

RegularGuy81

Newly Enlightened
I am just learning about LEP lights. They seem really cool and very useful for SaR. I am mostly interested in wowing friends and non flashoholics... lol. I suppose I would take it with me on vacations to the woods or on the beach, I feel like it would be very useful in a "I wish I could see deeper into the woods or further down the beach" at night.

Can you recommend a "budget conscious" single 18650 or smaller sized LEP light with a respectable runtime and maybe onboard charging?

Thanks guys

A Google search turned up this LEP.

I don't know the performance of this light, but the few LEPs I've owned in the past did not zoom. Without zoom, an LEP is not really useful, even at long distances. Think of it as a laser pointer with a wider white beam. I used one at the beach to try to spot things at a distance, but without any spill, I could only point out things (like a laser pointer), but not get any context of what surrounded the target.

Perhaps this and other zoom-able LEPs might better fit the bill.

pc_light

Enlightened

... Without zoom, an LEP is not really useful, even at long distances... Think of it as a laser pointer with a wider white beam. I used one at the beach to try to spot things at a distance, but without any spill, I could only point out things (like a laser pointer), but not get any context of what surrounded the target.
+1 about adding zoom to increase utility to more than a spotting light. (Note that the light referenced ("...this LEP...") is an LED and not an LEP model.)

Maxtorch XSword LA60 is a "focusing" LEP light that looks very nice albeit a tad pricey.

+1 about adding zoom to increase utility to more than a spotting light. (Note that the light referenced ("...this LEP...") is an LED and not an LEP model.)

Maxtorch XSword LA60 is a "focusing" LEP light that looks very nice albeit a tad pricey.
Whoops, that what I get for not reading after Googling. Thanks for clarifying. I thought the price was a bit low for a zoomable LEP…

LaGgY_42o

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the Maxtoch LA60, but for the s variant (LA60s). Single 21700 and comes with nice case + holster. Weltool pop cap diffusers (white/yellow) fit right on it and protect the glass that protects the lens.

thebarefooter

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tried it but I like the blazer Lep head that's for scout light bodies. They sell a lens cover that has frosted sides and a clear center which looks to diffuse the light so you have the punch of an LEP with some spill.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Technically it's not a LEP. But as a pocket thrower, I'm very impressed with my latest purchase Sofrin IF22A. It's a single 21700 light, instead of an 18650. But does feature a charging port on the light itself. Can be found for just a tick over $30.oo (and that's with an included battery).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Can you Pm me where can I get it for that price.
Thanks.
Got mine off of Sofrin's official website almost 3 weeks ago.
Looks like it might have been a special sale.
Currently going for $37.99 w/ battery included.
Apologies for the mistake. Though honestly, at that price, still worth it.

Ocelot808

Enlightened

I don't know the performance of this light, but the few LEPs I've owned in the past did not zoom. Without zoom, an LEP is not really useful, even at long distances. Think of it as a laser pointer with a wider white beam. I used one at the beach to try to spot things at a distance, but without any spill, I could only point out things (like a laser pointer), but not get any context of what surrounded the target.

Perhaps this and other zoom-able LEPs might better fit the bill.
The Weltool W8 to which you linked is a zoom LED flashlight, by no means a LEP.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
A LEP with a variable focus ("zoom") is exactly what you are looking for. And the 2 preeminent models on the market are new releases from Acebeam.

The M1 Terminator LED/LEP compact hybrid. Excellent performing zoom LEP module with 500 lumens and 650kcd (1600 meter range) paired with a chef's kiss 5000K 95CRI Nichia 519a triple LED. 21700 battery for generous runtime. Built like a tank but fits in your hand.

Hot of the press is the successor to the ground breaking original W30 LEP design: the W35.
Greater output (800 max lumens) and range (1.7 Mcd -- 2600 meter range) with an industry leading innovation: a liquid crystal diffraction electro-optic lens that allows for a variable "zoom" spot-to-wide flood beam (via a single button).

At present there really is nothing that competes (even closely) to these 2 models. Specifically for the versatility of their "zoom" capabilities. Acebeam has established itself firmly at the top of the game. See their website. There is an excellent video review of the M1 Terminator on YouTube by Cheule Lights. Now being Black Friday season a nice deal could be had.

I've been a diehard LEP enthusiast since 2019 and the M1 and W35 have been the most exciting releases in a long while because of their innovations.

I hope this is helpful.

raymond~

Newly Enlightened
I have an Olight LEP as well as a Nitecore and the vast majority of the time, I grab the Nitecore for those daily, late night dog walks. Though the ergonomics and user interface isn't perfect, I've adjusted to the P35i for the most part. It is to long to wear the pocket light label so what I did was to fabricate a quick detach clip onto a spare Kydex belt clip I had. The range of the light is amazing and very useful for long range. For near field use, I simply toggle to LED mode. If you're not familiar with the P35i it also has combo (stepped) LEP/LED light.

I haven't had a need for a more powerful LEP ... yet and have been satisfied with the Nitecore unit for 2 years now. I ordered direct from Aliexpress which saved $100 ffover USA vendors. I may try the smaller Nitecore LEP in the near future especially if I feel the single beam, LEP only model is suitable for my needs.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Be sure to order extra Nitecore batteries for your P35i.
The i means that a particular model will only work with the Nitecore proprietary battery made for it. No "i" designation means it'll work with ANY 18650 or 21700 from any brand you put into it.

raymond~

Newly Enlightened
I have had success using standard lithium cells and performing slight modifications which allows them to function in Olights and Nitecores. I'll need to refresh my memory and looking at my notes to see what I did with the P35i. Thanks for mentioning that important point though.

The_Police

Enlightened
I've also been looking into an LEP for the collection. Does anyone have thoughts on the Jetbeam RRT-M2S? I have a Jetbeam TH20 Guardian which is a great LED light, and I'd think the RRT-M2S would be a great light as well.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Got a Mini LEP Cosmos coming in from Maratac (County Comm).
I suspect it's either a re-branded Acebeam or Lumintop model.
Most likely the latter. Will report on its performance after it arrives.

zhillzpip

Newly Enlightened
I have a acebeam w30 does anyone know of or recommend some type of lens diffuser?? Only usable when using a rifle scope

Latest posts