Recommendations for a lanyard on my Arc AAA? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

Enlightened
As has been observed in the past in different threads . . . don't put any lanyard on your body, that is harder to break loose from your body than the body part is.
grin.gif

Seriously i.e. 550 paracord on your neck without a breakaway safety clip while riding your bike around the woods/mailboxes/other bikes/fill in the blank. A 550 pound rated strength line, hooking on something solid will impart a major hurting on your body, especially if one of end of the lanyard is moving, and the other end becomes stationary. Breakaway clips are good insurance.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first used the lanyard from a Maglite Solitaire, and I put one of those little snap shackles on it (like Berkeley Point's). I quickly realized that Photon's alligator-jaws clip works much better for me, because I usually want to attach the light to my clothes, so the snap shackles don't work. Now I've just put the Photon alligator jaws clip directly on the Arc with two of those little split rings.
Joe

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small length of tiny ss chain with a small split ring on each end. The AAA is on one end and a Victorinox Midnite Manager II on the other. Works great for me.

alberto

Enlightened
I created a lanyard from an eyeglasses neck cord (the kind that hooks to your glasses so that you can hang them around your neck). Some cutting to length and repositioning of clamps worked out well.

Since I prefer wrist lanyards instead of neck lanyards, I'm also looking at camera wrist straps as a possible source.

mst3k

Enlightened
Ok, I have, what I think is the perfect little wrist strap for the LS. It is the wrist strap that comes with the Canon Digital Elph cameras. You will need a ring on your light as the little cord on the wrist strap is just a "ch" too fat to go thru the hole on the LS. It works perfect. They cost $3.50 plus shipping online from Canon.
You can order them here:

http://www.canoncompanystore.com/cgi-bin/annex.storefront?ProductLink=S200

Unfortuneatly there isn't a picture of it here. On the site however if you go here:

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s230/kit.html

There is a tiny picture of it in the kit that comes with the camera. It is part number WS-S110.
I have one of these on my LSH-P and am going to put the same on my other lites. It is really great. Hope that helps!

JimM

Newly Enlightened
I like the breakaway lanyard that I got from Brightguy.com.
Jim

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Ya know, bringing up the breakaway is a good thought. I would really like to find some kind of a breakaway clip that is fairly small, just for this purpose. I know I might be able to make velcro work, but a breakaway would be much more "elegant". Add that to some of the glow in the dark rope and I think that would be the ultimate.

belli

Newly Enlightened
fcbd6b6a.jpg
fcbd6b59.jpg

This is the lanyard that I use on my Arc AAA and my Arc LS. I don't have a berkley clip so I can't really compare to that, but the quick release works really well. I bought the small gold one at the "Pack Rat" outdoor store in arkansas but haven't been able to find any more there or anywhere else. The crome one on the LS came from Wal-mart and is heaver and bulkier than the other. I wear the AAA aroung the neck and loop the LS through a belt loop or thread the belt through it and drop the light in my pocket. If anyone knows where to find the small quick release I'd like to get some more.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have reflective cord and a North Face glow in the dark zipper pull on a neck lanyard for my arc. This comes in realy handy. One time I dropped my Arc in the dark. I was able to beam my Photon at it and see the retro reflective cord shine like a laser. If I had let my Eyes adjust I probably could have seen the glowing zipper pull.

Only problem is its not a breakaway.

My other arc has a Berkely Point clip on it. By the way this clip works real well to clip to the edge of clothing, try it. When I'm away from home I clip the arc to the Pillow case so I can quickly find my arc and then find my way to the loo. I painted the reflector of this one with GITD paint, so it glows too. Makes it real easy to find.

belli

Newly Enlightened
I've thought a break away would be nice too. My dad got a streamlite clipmate that has a lanyard with a clip, swivel, and breakaway. It also has a cord lock and the lanyard itself looks like a camera lanyard. The light is nice too (but I still prefer my arc ;-))

Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked around CPF for a while so I have seen all the great idea's. My favorite site even above the spyderco and bladeforums. I ordered some glow powder and plan to paint my Petzel Zipka so I can easily locate it. Any tips on how to paint the ARC AAA reflector but not the led??

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my glow paint from Electrolumens today(thanks Wayne). First thing I did was paint the clip for my AAA. The clip is very similar to the one Peter is selling. If you paint the reflector won't it possibly affect the beam quality?

jallis

Newly Enlightened
as BEEMERPHILE stated above i too use the lanyards that come with the chris reeve sebenza knives.. you can get them from chrisreeve.com
my sebenza's are the plain models. i have both the small one and the large one. an amazing set of knives, well made, and have stood up to everything ive throw at them.
a bit pricey but you couldnt ask for more from a quality knife.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
While I do have the lanyards that came with my Pelican L1s, I prefer to use the one that came with my CMG Infinity. It's a smaller-diameter cord, and it has GITD threading throughout it, unlike the Pelican cord, which appears to be of the 'flat black shoelace' variety.

Since I wear this around my neck as one of my 7 (or 8 on the weekends) EDC lights, comfort (especially with a necktie) is a very high priority. Since this is always inside my clothing when not in use, I felt the break-away feature provided by the Pelican lanyard was not as important as the comfort factor, for my purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.