Red LED Flashlight

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
I am after a red LED flashlight which must have multiple brightness modes (preferably a low low mode) to preserve night vision.

It is worth saying that I have a spare Solarforce L2R host and I am wondering if there is a good budget drop-in I can buy for it?

Thanks

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently was on the same quest and found the only one I liked was the LRI Photon Freedom. It has both a start on high and ramp down function, and a start on low and ramp up function. Also has blinky modes and can be set to be a hold for on mode as well. Got it from BrightGuy for $20 including a nice little accessories package.

I decided not to get the red one though, and got the 'night vision green' model instead. It gives me much better contrast and depth perception than a red light does. There's been a thread about the use of colored LED lights over in the general forum too that you might find interesting.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/292922

fasuto

Enlightened
DX sells one red dropin, sku 39241.
I have one on the way, but dont believe it will be to low. I plan to use it for area lighting to avoid mosquitoes.

Another alternative is to use solarforce filters with your standard dropin, but the color is not a true red, to me seems orange-browm or so.

Also i think nailberder sells a better (and expensive) one in his D-26 thread.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another way is to buy a telescopic sight red flip down cover,they are friction fit come in a variety of different sizes and work a treat on most Led lights.Buy a non branded make and they are extremely cheap to purchase.

In daytime whilst out doing a bit of plinking I flip up the cover to clear and if i am shooting at night I could flip the cover down to red or green depending which one I had fitted,in truth I bought them to protect the lens on the scope rather than for any real use.

Slasher42

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Proton Pro light... runs on 1 AA of any chemistry and works like a charm.

Has a centered white led and a slight offset Red led. UI is simple
1 click = white on high then press and hold to ramp down
Press and Hold = Red on Low then press and hold to ramp up

Continue to HOLD while ramping on either LED to cycle thru Slow Strobe, Medium Strobe, Fast Strobe, SOS.

I like it a lot, and run-time has been very good for me with Lithium and Eneloops the Red is not super bright... But it works well for general use.

palimpsest

Newly Enlightened
DX sells one red dropin, sku 39241.
Sorry but you are not going to receive a red drop-in. :fail:

sku.26345 - Cree XLamp XP-C-R2 5-Mode 90-Lumen Memory Red Light Drop-in
sku.20333 - Ultrafire WF-501B Philips Luxeon K2 Red LED Flashlight

fasuto

Enlightened
I ordered sku 26345, I made and error when pasting, the wrong sku is from another post I was reading.

My module still appears as ready, not shipped yet :popcorn:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I agree with the Slasher about the Photon Proton Pro. It's been a long time favorite of mine. Maybe not quite a budget light, but they're cheaper now than they once were. You might even be able to find the earlier Proton that used six 5mm white LEDs instead of the one high power. The red on that old model is actually nicer than the Pro, since it's centered, producing a smoother beam.

Geoff

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Hi there (first post!) - ITC on eBay sells red (and blue and green ) P4 P-60 drop ins for around $15. In single or multi mode. Claimed 220L but I really, really doubt that...

I got the single mode unit as an experiment as a hunting light - it's too floody as is for hunting, OK for general use. I stuck a DX aspheric + smooth 'flector in front of it to get more throw.

The red really makes animal eyes light right up!

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trancer,

Both the XP-E and XR-E Cree RED emitters can handle up to 700 mA current. I recall that DX or KD stocked an inexpensive 500 mA driver [don't recall if it was multi-mode]. If you can do any soldering [or find a handy friend] you could make a nice drop-in for your L2.