Refurbishing Military Crooked Neck Flashlight

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
My biggest complaint with the crooked neck mil flashlights is the spring contacts will bend and get jacked up over time. I've had more than a few and recall being disappointed when they'd no longer reliably connect when I reassembled the lights.

I'd get some wire leads and good strong connectors and attach the reflector and positive lamp terminals directly to their corresponding posts on the inside of the light to eliminate the bend copper pieces in the body. Kind of hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean when you play with it.

Lots of luck! Those lights are really cool and I wish I'd taken better care of the ones I've had.

Incidentally, I've seen a "Humvee" branded light in US Cavalry that looks pretty cool. Crook neck, aluminum body, LED's for close up work or reading. Has anyone tried it out?

Last edited:
S

stdlrf11

Thanks for the ideas, guys.
My boy decided to check out my handy work. I'm passing it on. He's 18 months old and has four flashlights already.

100_1869a.jpg

Mr_Light

Enlightened

Marlite

Enlightened
Mr_Light said:
I posted in the MAGLED thread my solution for putting the drop-in into older lights with plastic bulb holders. I'm sure this would work in this case also. See this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1614671

Mr. Light
Clicking on the link takes me to your reply to thread?

Wow what an Idea you came up with I'm totally impressed. Especially when Mom's Eveready C Captain with new batteries didn't light. I just got it yesterday what timing I keep her well stocked w/LED lights. Was a 2C/D bulb used? Or other?

It is well known thanks to Newbie and other CPFrs research that the Mag LED bulbs are programmed to drop in brightness to protect against blowing the LED Bulb due to poor heatsinking. Would the metal bulb holder benefit with additional material attached such as a large "fitted washer" and spread the aluminum flashing or twist a wire to hold firm?

Thanks for your neat mag mod.
Marlite

mooman

Newly Enlightened
Read this thread and finally modded mine with a 8AA to 2D adapter. I use 6 nimh's and 2 dummy batteries when using a 6 cell Mag-num Star Xenon bulb or can use 7 nimh's and 1 dummy battery when using a 6 cell Krypton bulb. I prefer the Xenon myself. Nice and bright with a good combination of flood and throw. Thank all of you for your suggestions.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
stdlrf11 said:
...My boy decided to check out my handy work. I'm passing it on. He's 18 months old and has four flashlights already.
That pic is so cool! My "boys" are "young men" now at 18 & 20 yrs old - they do indeed grow up "overnight"!! Thanks for posting that and giving me memories with a smile!! It's all still good...no, still GREAT!! Count your blessings!

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
pizzaman said:
assuming it's a 2 D cell light. easiest upgrade is a maglite luxeon module. no mod drops right in most std bulb holder.

Cy,

That would be a killer upgrade for this light. I grabbed a magLED bulb and Fulton anglehead light and went to work. Sorry, no way that bulb is fitting in this light. It will drop into the back of the reflector, but will not fit inside the plastic screw-in retainer.

What light did you get it to work in?

TR

You can put the Mag LED in there, all you have to do is round it out with a dremel tool. I have done this on a couple of the GI lights. Just be careful not to stay in one spot or the plastic will start to warp.

Vickers

Enlightened
Does anybody know a source for the waterproofing gaskets for these lights? These are the ones at the head and the tailcap.