Removing lens from old SF head - without destroying it

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pre 2000, when removing scratched lenses to putting in New ones, i did not care much for the old ones, but now I have an m series head, where i Plan to remove the reflector and insert a D36 insert.

... Only possible from the front.
And i don't have a spare lens. (Are they even sold anymore?)

Is there a good way to get the lens out without damaging it?
:thinking:
To press in afterwards.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Pre 2000, when removing scratched lenses to putting in New ones, i did not care much for the old ones, but now I have an m series head, where i Plan to remove the reflector and insert a D36 insert.

... Only possible from the front.
And i don't have a spare lens. (Are they even sold anymore?)

Is there a good way to get the lens out without damaging it?
:thinking:
To press in afterwards.

I personally use pvc pipe as a "punch". Easy to get, easy to size, easy to use.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
When you say a pre 2000 are you referring to the old style Z46? The ribbed version? A lot depends on if its seen a lot of heat from being used. Then the glass will want to stick to the inside flat rubber seal. You have several options for removal. Once you have the bezel retainer off you can position the head with the lens down on a work bench/ firm surface and the MN lamp out, press down hard with your thumb on the back of the reflector. It might break the bond between the glass and the seal. If that doesn't work you are pretty much going to have to use a thin rod down the opening where the lamp assy would install. I've used a 3/16" wooden dowel as well as a short piece carbon fiber tubing to break the glass free. Just take your time and use something under the area where the glass will pop out intact. If you use a metal rod or tubing theres a good chance you will scratch the anti-reflective coating as all the ones I've taken apart have AR coating on the inside as well as the outside. Good luck!