[Review] - Fenix E12 v2.0 - Mini EDC Flashlight - AA 160 lumen - by Lock

Burgess

Flashaholic
So am I to understand that
Energizer Ultimate Lithium L91 cells
are NOT acceptable for use in this ? ? ?

Very Disappointed if that's true . . . . .

:shakehead
_

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

_
Not the case. Li-ion batteries are not recommended/banned by Fenix in use with this light. A Non-rechargeable Lithium Battery (primary) is listed as usable on the battery specifications.

Sos24

Enlightened

_

I am not certain but I think theyEnergizer Ultimate Lithium would work fine, based on what Maxlcon said and that they run on the same voltage as Alkaline and Ni-MH. I think the lack of recommending lithium is because they are not designed to handle the higher voltage of a 14500 lithium rechargeable and afraid people would get confused.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not certain but I think theyEnergizer Ultimate Lithium would work fine, based on what Maxlcon said and that they run on the same voltage as Alkaline and Ni-MH. I think the lack of recommending lithium is because they are not designed to handle the higher voltage of a 14500 lithium rechargeable and afraid people would get confused.

Yeah. As Mosho9 pointed out, in the User Manual (at least in the Operating Instructions I just checked on the Fenixlighting site), "non-rechargeable lithium battery" is specifically listed as "allowed", and "rechargeable lithium ion battery - 14500" is specifically listed as "banned". As reluctant as some are to read them, and even as poorly-written as some of them are, User Manuals / Product Instructions docs often provide information, or more clearly-stated information than one finds in the 'marketing fluff' docs. Product reviews should also always specifically call out all power supply options clearly.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, Everyone,
for your answers !

Good to Know !

:twothumbs lovecpf
_

pc_light

Enlightened
Just an FYI, I tried a 14500 in my E12 v2 and it didn't go poof but it also didn't get crazy bright.

The current draw on a 1.2V NiMH was 1.50A and on a 3.9V Li rechargeable was 0.48A. So, it would appear there is some constant current regulation circuitry involved. I don't have a light meter but actually all three levels were relatively similar in power draw and output light levels. Further testimony of what appears to be a well-regulated driver.

Since there isn't any appreciable bump in lumen out-the-front, I will probably stick with NiMH to be safe. I can't vouch for long-term viability but it's good to know I don't have to worry about accidentally sticking a 14500 in the light and frying the thing.

(Also, sticking with AA is a good ideal from a warranty perspective.)

Last edited:

sandalian

Enlightened
Thanks for your review.

The TIR is unique and I really want to try.
At the other side, the greenish tint color is a bit unamusing for me.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your review.

The TIR is unique and I really want to try.
At the other side, the greenish tint color is a bit unamusing for me.

I don't have an E12 v2, but I do have the E20 v2.0 and I highly recommend it. The beam from the micro TIR is great for walking and the tint from the SST-20 is also very nice (guessing around 5500k). I wish they had used a 5000k SST-20 for the E12, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but as it stands I'm passing because of LED choice. The E20 v2 is also surprisingly small. 5.0" long and thinner than I expected. Same length as some 2xAAA lights and 18650 lights. If you can stand the extra length of the E20 you get more power, way better runtimes, and a possibly a better tint than the E12, and it still hangs in your pocket without bottoming out.:thumbsup:

CPF review of E20 v2:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-Fenix-E20-v2-0-(SST20-5500K-250-lumens-2xAA)

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought this light a few months ago. I was very pleased with it. The beam was very even, and I didn't detect any green hue. Looked white to me. Mode switching worked very well. Brightness levels are well spaced. I ended up gifting it to my sister. It's a good light to give away, due to it taking AAs and having a simple interface.

Only thing I can complain about is the clip, which really doesn't work very well. Same simple two-way clip that most manufacturers use today. Pocket material always snags on that "ramp" just below the clip-on ring. Couldn't conveniently pocket it one handed. Most of these "clip-on" clips have the same issue.

Last edited: