Review:Olight H05 Active:headlamp, 2xAAA, white+red; 150 lumens (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
Nice to have my hands-on the my first Olight-headlamp this time, the H05 Active. This is a friendly-priced headlight that can be used in several situations because it has besides white also two built-in red LEDS. In this review I'll show you the details of the H05 Active, and we'll take the light outside to see how it performs in the dark, also compared to a competitor. Let's see what this headlamp brings!

the first Olight headlamp that I have my hands-on, the H05 Active
28l9rag.jpg

powered by XM-L2 LED
8zkz02.jpg

available in attractive colors
28lusl3.jpg

lightweight, no problem to wear it longer times
28thml2.jpg

Here are the key features and the specifications, given by Olight:

Cree XM-L2 LED
• Powered by two AAA batteries, with two Lithium Ion AAA batteries included with the light
• High light transmission rate TIR lens delivers a balanced beam for close-range illumination
• Adjustable light angles: 10, 25, 35 and 50 degrees below the horizontal position
• Two red indicator LEDs to find a user's location
• Controlled by a thermal protection program, the high mode (150 lumens) runs for 10 minutes before the brightness gradually steps down to 60% of the original output
• Four color options available: green, blue, orange and purple

LED: 1 x Cree XM-L2 + 2 x 3528 Red Led 629nm
Max Output (lumens): 150
Low (lumens): 10
Max Run Time (hours): 40 hours
Beam Distance: 55 m.
Peak Beam Intensity (candela units): 750 cd
Water Resistance: IPX4 (rainproof)
Impact Resistance: 1 meter
Head Diameter: 1.34 in. / 34mm
Length: 2.2 in. / 56 mm
Weight: 1.5 oz / 43.5 gr
Battery Type: AAA

And the output and runtime specs:
sgts1h.jpg

Unboxing:

Like we're used of Olight, the H05 Active come in the transparent plastic box that has some nice details. This time the headband is "fake"… it is a print at the carton inside. Most info's about runtimes and output and the features are mentioned on the box. Because of the glossy materials of these boxes they often look "used". But personally I don't mind… About the contents: in this package we find all we need; two branded high-drain AAA-batteries are also included. So we are ready to go with the H05 Active! Scroll down for some pictures about the box and the contents..

a transparent box with nice details
2lmv2no.jpg

almost all features and specifications mentioned
1590nt.jpg

the contents: H05 Active, user manual and two high-drain AAA-cells
sb4pdi.jpg

Impressions:

Most striking detail to me is the color: this is the first light in my collection that has bright-orange color. Searching for it is not a hard job I think…and above that: it's safe color for runners and walker who are wearing the H05 Active. It is compact and lightweight, and has a full-plastic body and lens. Although the overall built-quality and finishing looks fine, you can see this a light in the "budget-class". The seams close properly, the body and the lens is free of defects, and the big power-button feels durable. Thanks to the big lip the H05 is easy to open. Inside the battery compartment we don't see O-rings, neither gold plated springs or anything like that. No surprise because on a light that is IPX-4 rated. Overall we can say this light is well-constructed and finished for its price, and will last for many years if used the right way. Scroll down to view a couple of impression-pictures!

the Olight H05 Active strikes….
29fql3m.jpg

in bright-orange and blue color!
27xpcpg.jpg

most parts are made of plastic
1zw2553.jpg

the TIR-lens offers a smooth beam
10584yw.jpg

compact and lightweight
2vn1fk8.jpg

adjustable angles: the light can be used in four positions
qod6rq.jpg

the included high-drain AAA-cells give the H05 better runtimes but same output
rsc3eb.jpg

easy to add-on
2v26s6p.jpg

simple head strap of good quality
23mx9uv.jpg

the big button is easy to locate
28vaa7c.jpg

no defects or sharp parts
erwrv9.jpg

it's clear how to insert the batteries..
213nihw.jpg

I recommend rechargeable Eneloops for this light
66e0ao.jpg

no O-rings found
8xosy8.jpg

a close-up to the TIR-lens
2duct92.jpg

no springs inside
a9wcgk.jpg

the bright white-color mode
167nkv9.jpg

and flashing or constant-red
29617ig.jpg

the H05 Active with package and some recommended batteries
317e92o.jpg

a friendly "smiley-design"
2q33pzs.jpg

this kind of lenses offer a smooth beam
1zx9xrc.jpg

User interface:

The H05 Active is to work with: simply open the light at the orange lip at the upper (behind the power button) and insert two AA-alkalines or NIMH-batteries. That's all. The batteries Olight provides in the package will give the light more runtime, but same output. For frequent user, I recommend Eneloops or equal cells. It's an easy job also to adjust the headband to your desired length, so we're ready to go with this light in a couple of seconds.

The H05 has one (big) blue button for all, the switch needs a rather firm press. But it is easy to locate. The H05 Active hasn't memory for last used mode, so this means that you always need more clicks to turn off the light. One click turns on the light in high, next click med, than low and off. Personally, I'm not a big fan of interfaces like this: you can only start in most blinding high-mode and it takes too long to shut the light off. Switch between white / red by a double click (when the light is on). Red starts at constant modes, one click to enter red-flashing, next click to turn off. This is all…and for a lot of users enough. The light operates fine, without defects.

Modes:

Three normal white modes on the H05, in order of: HIGH > MED > LOW. Although the light misses a moonlight-mode, the spacing is rather good here. No special white modes like strobe or something like that. Two red modes too: RED CONSTANT > RED FLASHING. No special extra modes on this light like a voltage indicator; neither lockout isn't there, but to me on this light no big issue.

Size comparison:

Next to the Klarus SEO 5 (that runs on three AAA-batteries, but is in the same lumen-range) the pictures below show that the H05 Active is a compact headlight.

Klarus SEO5 and Olight H05 Active
33ojr4l.jpg

Klarus SEO5 and Olight H05 Active
6ftqfq.jpg

the fronts: Klarus SEO5 and Olight H05 Active
3467tj8.jpg

both lights on a cap
2j2ukjk.jpg

XM-L2 and High Power LED on the Led Lenser
24x1i83.jpg

Tint:

A coolwhite tint here with little blue in the spill, but barely noticeable. Compared to the Led Lenser SEO 5, that has a bluish tint, the H05 Active looks much better.

1z5ntaf.jpg

Beamprofile:

The TIR-lens gives the H05 Active a big hotspot and corona and little spill. So best usable at shorter distance. A clean beam, no defects here, and no PWM detected at any mode. Because of the week red light-output, I can't describe this profile.

Beamshots:

Let's have a look at the beamshots right now. Starting by projecting the H05 at a white wall, the distance is about 0,75 meters. Also a picture of the red light, compared to the Led Lenser SEO 5. As you can see at the picture, the red LED is only for very short distance.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, 35mm
260eteu.jpg

2hgeiip.jpg

16jq0iv.jpg

GIF-picture
2v8sgoj.jpg

The red option is barely noticeable at the wand. The LED of the SEO 5 is much brighter, but has a "bite" in the profile because of the shape of the light.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/4 sec, 35mm
35ixjye.jpg

Going outdoors now! Starting with the three white output modes, followed by a GIF.. Let's see also here how the red LEDS perform.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm

w811dj.jpg

5z2j47.jpg

s3g1vl.jpg

a GIF picture of the white modes
2gvitn9.jpg

the red LED of the H05
1zb6net.jpg

Conclusion:

The H05 Active is a no-nonsense headlight powered by readily available AAA-batteries. The included high-drain cells give more runtimes, but personally I would recommend Eneloops that are the cheaper option. The H05 is compact, lightweight and easy to control. This makes the IPX4-rated H05 a good choice for runners but I tried the light out at my (touring) bike which is also a good option. The red (flash) can also be used at your bike as a backlight, but is (because of the output) only suited as marking or at lighting up at very short distance.

I would like to see an interface that most Olights have and brighter red LEDS. But I'm sure I will pick this light regularly in the upcoming dark season!

Special thanks to Adola and Olightworld for providing me this sample!

Last edited:

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
Re: Review: Olight H05 Active: headlamp, 2xAA, white + red; 600 lumens (beam)shots, c

Love the soft spill pattern and really like the forest beam shots! Great studio shots too. Fyi the post title is a little misleading, says 2xAA and 600 lumen, when the light is 2xAAA and 150 lumen.

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
Re: Review: Olight H05 Active: headlamp, 2xAA, white + red; 600 lumens (beam)shots, c

Wow I thought I was losing it looking for the 600 lumen 2aa light in the post. Good to know I'm not the only one that noticed it. Anyway it was a really good review with good pics.

kj75

Enlightened

I'm sorry for my mistake; I've edited the threads' title, thanks.

kj2

Flashaholic
Do I miss something? I still see a H05 :) Maybe again an error of Tinypic?
Looks like it was an error indeed. One time I'd a racecar, instead of a flashlight photo, in one of my reviews[emoji14]

Edit: still had the screenshot I made on my phone.
e98252627e80a7acc564377b229b68f1.jpg

Latest posts