Review: Olight R50 Seeker Compact 2500 Lumen Flooder (XHP50, 26650)

mhanlen

Enlightened
Video Review: Olight R50 Seeker

Hey guys… These 26650 XHP lights are getting popular. The R50 Seeker from Olight is the latest one to be released and Going Gear sent me this fine light for review. I test outputs, runtimes, and compare it to other flashlights. Feel free to hit me up with any questions. I know this is brief, but all my talking is in the review.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
2500 lumens is cool and all, but I don't like that it's 2 minutes and then steps down to 800 lumens. I much rather have a larger light that can run for longer periods at 2000 lumens plus output, or have a smaller light that can run around 800 lumens for a long period without step-down.

wensynch

Newly Enlightened
You're a good speaker/narrator.

Good tone, pitch, tempo. Easy to understand.

A natural in that/this field. Not sure if you're the normal guy that does go reviews. Thinking back now, you probably are. Haha.

tops2

Enlightened
Nice review as always!

Initially I was put off by the "proprietary battery" but then it was mentioned somewhere that a standard 26650 battery can be used but the charging won't work. Otherwise, I think the main thing I wish was on this light was a lower lumen level or moonlight/firefly mode. Maybe have it like the Olight S1 where the moonlight is hidden from the mode cycling.

I'm interested now in this light for the adequate throw (for me) with pretty good "spill" even though the light is just a large hotspot.
How would you compare it to the Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI? I was considering that light before, but the sheer output of the R50 and the throw (with nice flood) is swaying me. I know the R50 is larger and missing a lower mode..

But all these newer XHP 50/70 single 26650 looks exciting!

Thanks for the review again!

mhanlen

Enlightened
2500 lumens is cool and all, but I don't like that it's 2 minutes and then steps down to 800 lumens. I much rather have a larger light that can run for longer periods at 2000 lumens plus output, or have a smaller light that can run around 800 lumens for a long period without step-down.

I don't mind the stepdown at all. I'm one of those guys who likes high modes, but don't use them near as often as a low mode. But yeah... the smaller the light, the quick it steps down and runs out of juice.

You're a good speaker/narrator.

Good tone, pitch, tempo. Easy to understand.

A natural in that/this field. Not sure if you're the normal guy that does go reviews. Thinking back now, you probably are. Haha.

Probably me! Yeah, mine are pretty easy to pick out... lots of camera angles and bad jokes.

Nice review as always!

Initially I was put off by the "proprietary battery" but then it was mentioned somewhere that a standard 26650 battery can be used but the charging won't work. Otherwise, I think the main thing I wish was on this light was a lower lumen level or moonlight/firefly mode. Maybe have it like the Olight S1 where the moonlight is hidden from the mode cycling.

I'm interested now in this light for the adequate throw (for me) with pretty good "spill" even though the light is just a large hotspot.
How would you compare it to the Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI? I was considering that light before, but the sheer output of the R50 and the throw (with nice flood) is swaying me. I know the R50 is larger and missing a lower mode..

But all these newer XHP 50/70 single 26650 looks exciting!

Thanks for the review again!

Honestly... I like Zebralights for their lows... so this light would never replace one of those for me. If you just need high modes and a little throw, then it's a good light. It's not well enough rounded in the mode spacing for me. But it does have a lot of nice usable light. Once you start climbing above 30-35kcd... you get less good light for shorter distances and too small a hot spot. This is a good compact flooder. An outdoor medium to short range light and a good indoor light for larger spaces. 50-60 lumens is too high for map reading for my tastes,

tops2

Enlightened
Yeah...if this light had a lower mode, I'd really be tempted to get this and try using it as a all arounder. Usually I prefer just bringing one light along for my suburban walks at night so I don't think this light is the right one for me. But it does look like a solid light otherwise.

Kinda wondering about the 2 minute turbo. After the timed step down, if you turn the light off, then turn it back on, would the R50 be able to do another 2 minute turbo assuming the battery still has enough capacity.. I'm guessing its just a timed step down and no thermal throttling (since its not mentioned in the spec unless I missed it).

Last edited:

DMS1970

Enlightened
Yeah...if this light had a lower mode, I'd really be tempted to get this and try using it as a all arounder. Usually I prefer just bringing one light along for my suburban walks at night so I don't think this light is the right one for me. But it does look like a solid light otherwise.

Kinda wondering about the 2 minute turbo. After the timed step down, if you turn the light off, then turn it back on, would the R50 be able to do another 2 minute turbo assuming the battery still has enough capacity.. I'm guessing its just a timed step down and no thermal throttling (since its not mentioned in the spec unless I missed it).

Yes, the 2 minute turbo resets. I stood my light on a table and turned it on in turbo mode. I wasn't watching it the whole time, but after 30mins it had stepped down, I turned it off and immediately back on and it the turbo came back on. The light was less hot than when I do the same thing to my MkIII 600.

As far as using this flashlight for a walk at night, the low is great with ambient light around that it is useful. Moonlight seems useless to me outdoors with ANY ambient light.

Last edited:

roger-roger

Enlightened
Great video beam comparison. Although not considered a thrower, the R50 when compared to SC600w MKIII HI, shows better throw capability while retaining a nice flood at distance. Anyone care to guess the R50's color temp, above or below 5000k?

mhanlen

Enlightened
Great video beam comparison. Although not considered a thrower, the R50 when compared to SC600w MKIII HI, shows better throw capability while retaining a nice flood at distance. Anyone care to guess the R50's color temp, above or below 5000k?

I'd say aboveish. It's not blue but it ain't a warm, creamy, or rosy tint. I'd say somewhere in the 5s.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks mhanlen. Just wondering as it's been coming soon for a long time and though Going Gear might know.

I'm loving the 26650 format and Olight rarely disappoints with their lights. [emoji106]

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude... AWESOME review! I even love the flashaholic humor! Totally what I want to see in a light review. The comparisons are also VERY helpful! Great job!!!:thumbsup:

mhanlen

Enlightened
Thanks for checking, there's a growing feeling that it may not get out of the blocks! Hopefully they are just making it more awesome! :)

Hopefully it does... I'd like to see the specs on it.

Dude... AWESOME review! I even love the flashaholic humor! Totally what I want to see in a light review. The comparisons are also VERY helpful! Great job!!!:thumbsup:

Glad they help... I started talking over them as a way to explain to non-flashaholics what the numbers mean, and how they affect the light they see on the screen. I think it's helped a lot. Thanks a lot man! And flashlight jokes are not easy to write!

Really nicely put together review. Concise but packed with info. Thanks!

Thanks... I try to hit all the major points... and give a good idea of what the light looks like in use and how it operates. Sometimes I overlook things or miss stuff, but there are usually several reviews for each light released, and the viewer can seek out some others for a fuller picture of the light they're thinking on buying. I appreciate the comment!

DMS1970

Enlightened
For those of you holding out hopes for the pro version, VIHN is no modding these to include 3000 lumen XHP70 (pretty much pro specs) or current bump and shaved dome XHP50 with 45k Lux

i wonder if if these will ever appear in copper, brass, or titanium like other (but smaller) lights in the Olight line.

Last edited:

TCY

Enlightened
Thanks for the awesome review. UI looks like a blend of ZL + M43, very practical.

BTW do you plan to review the ZL SC600Fd III Plus when it comes out? Thanks.