Review Ray S20 single level AAA light with LiIon support

HKJ

Flashaholic
[SIZE=+3]Ray S20[/SIZE]

DSC_3157.jpg

DSC_3177.jpg

Ray is a new name in flashlights, their first light was D1 a medium sized light with lots of settings. This time they have made a small keychain light in stainless steel with a sandblasted finish and the light only has one brightness setting. The single level makes for a very simple user interface, tighten the head for on, and loose it a bit for off.

DSC_3154.jpg
DSC_3155.jpg

The light arrives in a small metal box with a plastic window, a very nice box if the light is used as a gift.

DSC_3156.jpg

The contents of the box is the light, a split ring for mounting the light with you keys, a spare o-ring and a one page manual with warnings, warranty and specifications.

DSC_3158.jpg
DSC_3160.jpg

From the front the OP (Orange peel) reflector and the XP-G led can be seen. The reflector is rather deep.

DSC_3163.jpg

The light mostly has a smooth surface, but with a little bit of functional decoration on the front part. For me the light is easy to turn on/off with the hand holding the light, the groves on the head prevents my fingers slipping.

DSC_3169.jpg

The back of the head look like most small flashlights with a circuit board for where the battery plus connects to the center and the battery minus to the ring to turn on the light.

DSC_3166.jpg

The body/tail has some very smooth threads and an o-ring to keep the light waterproof.

DSC_3171.jpg

The light has a good looking (IMHO) sandblast finish with this marking on.

DSC_3163.jpg

The tail of the light has a special design with holes for a split ring. Without a split ring the light can tailstand.

I really likes the look of this light and the stainless steel construction. The single mode makes it easy to use, but also limits its usability because of the short runtime. It is very good for finding a dropped key and lots of other tasks that only need a few minutes light, but not when the power goes out and light is needed for a few hours or for reading a book when camping.

[SIZE=+2]Technical specification and measurements[/SIZE]

DSC_3175.jpg

The driver is designed to work on AAA batteries of any kind, i.e. alkaline, NiMH, lithium and LiIon. In practical use the best batteries is NiMH or protected LiIon for people that want the brightest light.

Measured size and weight:
Length: 75.8 mm
Diameter: 14 mm
Weight: 37.5 gram with LiIon, 40.3 gram with eneloop.

The light uses a Cree XP-G R5 led.

The light has a single mode and can run for around 35 minutes with NiMH (eneloop) or LiIon.
The specification says 86 lumen with AAA and 210 lumen with LiIon battery. The LiIon brightness might be correct with a fresh LiIon, but will drop to a lower level fast (See runtime curve).

CurrentLux.png

Doing a voltage scan shows how much current the light uses and also reveals that it is one of the few AAA lights with stabilized output. When using LiIon the light will go into direct drive. On NiMH, alkaline and lithium the lights uses around 1 watt, on LiIon it is closer to 2.5 watt, but will depend on the battery voltage.

Runtime.png

The high brightness has a price and that is a short runtime. The short runtime for alkaline is no surprise, this kind of batteries are not designed for high power applications.
Note: This test was done with an unprotected LiIon that was discharged to much!

This light has no flashing modes or pwm to show curves of.

[SIZE=+2]Comparison to other Flashlights[/SIZE]

Ray S20 NiMH, Ray S20 LiIon, Titanium Illuminati Ti
DSC_3213a.jpg
DSC_3214a.jpg
DSC_3215a.jpg

4Sevens Preon I, Fenix LD01, EagleTac PN20A
DSC_3216a.jpg
DSC_3217a.jpg
DSC_3218a.jpg

For the full comparison to other lights and beamshots see here.

[SIZE=+2]Notes[/SIZE]

The light was supplied by Ray for a review.

It might be difficult to find a protected LiIon cell that will fit the light.

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Re: Review Ray S20 single level AAA light with LiIon suppor

Thanks for the review! I really like the look and feel of this light but would prefer mulitple modes as it does eat up batteries.. Wonder how hard it would be to swap guts with something like a maratac aaa...

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Nice review ..... thanks . Very bright light !

But personally .... I just don't like the design of the butt end.

Defeats the purpose of tail-standing if thats your goal. And makes the light hang at an angle on a keychain , wrist lanyard or neck lanyard . (unless ya use two holes w/splitring)

~

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review!!

+1 on the tail design. looks unnecessary to me, makes the flashlight a bit long for a keychain light

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
HKJ, Ive been trying to get a response from Ray Team regarding the use of 10440 cells. In their sales thread they promise "full support for 10440 lion" but in the instructions it says to NOT use unprotected 10440 cells.

I have tried two different brands of protected cells (AW and TrustFire) but they simply do not fit. I originally expected this light to have some over discharge protection to be able to use unprotected 10440s because they say "full support for 10440 lion" but again the instructions advise against using unprotected cells.

My unprotected cells work fine, with LOTS of output but at the fear of ruining the cells I have tried running them down while removing them and testing periodically to see if the light will shut down to indicate over discharge protection. So far the light appears to suck the cells down below 3.5 volts open voltage and keeps on sucking... I see that you also state that your test was done with a Lion that was discharged too much!

WIth your test results and my test results, is it safe to say that this light DOES NOT have any sort of Over Discharge Protection?

Do you (or anybody else) have some protected cells to test with since none of mine fit?

Im just a little annoyed as I assumed it had ODP because of all of their claims to fully support 10440 lion. Even after finding out that there is no ODP, I would still be happy with the light if my PROTECTED cells FIT!

Im having a hard time finding truth in the statement about "full support for 10440 Lion" when the instructions say NOT to use unprotected and protected cells DONT FIT!!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Do you (or anybody else) have some protected cells to test with since none of mine fit?

Protected cells are made by adding a small circuit board to the unprotected cell, this will usual increase the length by 3 to 5 mm, only way to keep the cell within specified measurements is using a shorter than normal cell as basis for the protected cell. I have seen this done with 16340, but not with other types of LiIon cells.

It looks like we have to use unprotected cells and just be careful, this is the same as lots of people has done with LD01, Maratac, etc. (Except these lights where not rated for LiIon).

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
It looks like we have to use unprotected cells and just be careful, this is the same as lots of people has done with LD01, Maratac, etc. (Except these lights where not rated for LiIon).

thanks for your response and a good review by the way!

I agree and have been doing this with my LD01 and Maratac, I just expected this light to be different since they claimed "full support for 10440 lion"

How can this be "full support" when its no different than the other lights and having to be careful. Full support to me either means unprotected cells are safe because of ODP built into the light (like the LF2XT), or protected cells physically fit. This light has neither. blah

:thumbsdow

thesacrificialaccount

Newly Enlightened
Well my 10440's are in the mail. I had no qualms ordering unprotected 10440 as I am expecting a highly researched and highly anticipated torch from KuKu427 (Capt. Sp. may know:nana:) that is 100% capable of handling the unprotected. I am still waiting to hear what Ray has to say on their sales thread, but I'm gonna see how these unprotected 10440's work on S20. I will be sure to leave some input.

HJK - Thanks for the review. I know alot of time goes into getting things done (Hell I need to pull teeth to get myself to hang a canvas on the wall). The community appreciates your support. :mecry: