Review; Sunwayman D40A - A great light

kj2

Flashaholic
A new AA-flashlight has arrived. Sunwayman brought us the D40A. The light runs on 4* AA and giving a max of 980 lumens.

347zj8m.jpg
2mwflux.jpg

Here the specs given by Sunwayman:

● CREE XM-L2 LED, with a lifetime of up to 50,000 hours
● Brand-new Dual-button Side Switch System, slightly depress the side switch buttons for output ranging from 30 to 980 lumens, Police Strobe, Aviation Signal, SOS, Strobe and Moon Mode:
Turbo: 980 Lumens (To avoid overheating, the light will enter High mode automatically after 3mins continuous use) High: 550 Lumens (1.7hrs) Mid: 220 Lumens ( 4hrs ) Low: 30 Lumens (31hrs)
● Standby Current: < 30μA
● Effective range of 315 meters
● Intensity: 24800cd
● Dimension: 120.6mm (length) x 40mm (head diameter) x 42mm (body diameter)
● Weight: 165.4g (battery excluded)
● Tail stand capable- can be used as a candle
● Accessories: Lanyard, O-ring, Holster

ofpc4.jpg

2nrok6h.jpg

The light comes in a sturdy cardboard-box. My D40A comes out-of China, and the box survived a 9200 kilometer trip. Not a single dent in it.
Sturdy foam holds the light in place. The box further includes a manual, a warranty-cart, a Sunwayman brochure, O-ring, lanyard and a holster.
The holster is a decent quality which you can expect from Sunwayman.

s1jfhz.jpg

The D40A has a Orange Peel reflector which gives a smooth beam. The aren't rings in the beam pattern and the hot-spot has a smooth transit into the spill.
My sample gives a bright white hot-spot and spill. There is no green or other colour that I can see.

f127l.jpg

331g7mc.jpg

The buttons gives good feedback and you hear a soft click when pressed. With the mode button the light steps from Turbo>high>mid>low.
This is somewhat different from other lights. Mostly we see a low>mid>high>turbo arrangement.
Gaining access to the "hidden" modes can be difficult the first time, but when you know it- it's quite easy.

Strobe; double click the M-button under any mode (light should not be in lock-out)
Aviation signal (beacon); press and hold the M-button when the light is off
Police strobe; press and hold the M-button when the light is on
Moon-mode; press and hold the on/off-button when the light is off
SOS; press and hold the on/off-button when the light is on

2vja5bk.jpg
8zi6w4.jpg

2ufrudx.jpg

I was surprised to see the 'M40A-C' text on the D40A battery-carrier. I suspect Sunwayman uses parts of their other lights into this light. But that can be a advantage, because this saves money :)
The battery-carrier feels solid and doesn't rattle inside the tube. The carrier can be inserted both ways, so you can't make a mistake with that.

m8fkhg.jpg
1e3z3n.jpg

The D40A has square-threads which are running smoothly. The threads where dry when I received the light, and have put some Nyogel on it.
The holster can be attached multiple ways. I particular like that I can put the holster on quickly with the velcro-strap or to be secure, I can loop-it through my belt.
Sunwayman is known for their excellent HA-III coating on their lights. Normally there aren't any flaws to be found but, mine had one. At the top of the screw-thread. I think this happened
because the wasn't any lube.

Beamshots: All photos shot with ISO 100 F/5.6 1/2 secs (Canon EOS 500D) Distance to wall: 4 meters

Nitecore EA4:

osa1rc.jpg
4lj86o.jpg

2n8otqp.jpg
3492t6p.jpg

esl0ex.jpg

Eagletac GX25A3:

2nib6tc.jpg
2qiwtit.jpg

2u4lx14.jpg

Sunwayman D40A: (I wasn't able to get a shot of the moon-mode (1lumens) )

2mn5dgw.jpg
2li9b2g.jpg

qwzijd.jpg
dpjs4x.jpg

All-in-all the D40 is a great light :) It's uses standard AA batteries which are common everywhere on earth. The moon-mode is handy for indoor usage when you don't want to lose your night-vision.
The light lays good and solid in your hands. The D40A is also a good camping light because of his modes. The moon-mode is perfect for inside your tent and the medium mode is enough to walk around a bit.
Going some place darker, bump it up to high and you have enough light to do almost everything :)

I'll be using this light a lot.

This ends-up my second review :) There can be some languages mistakes, English isn't my first languages ;)
Hope to do some more reviews in the future.

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
Thanks for the review! I definitely like the light, and would like to get one if the price dropped significantly ;)

Do you have some beamshots or comparison shots with other lights?

alvast bedankt..groetjes

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review! I definitely like the light, and would like to get one if the price dropped significantly ;)
Do you have some beamshots or comparison shots with other lights?
alvast bedankt..groetjes
The price is already low. Of course it always could be lower, but I don't expect that the price will drop any time soon.
Don't have beamshots at this moment. I probably try later to make some and will add them.

edit; hope I can do some beamshots. Night is falling late this time a year. Can't shoot some indoor shots.

Last edited:

Bumble

Enlightened
The price is already low. Of course it always could be lower, but I don't expect that the price will drop any time soon.
Don't have beamshots at this moment. I probably try later to make some and will add them.

thanks for the review :) im really looking forward to recieving my light... as for price, FT price has gone through the roof ! so shop about as usual for the best deal . doing outdoor is still cheap.

kj2

Flashaholic
thanks for the review :) im really looking forward to recieving my light... as for price, FT price has gone through the roof ! so shop about as usual for the best deal . doing outdoor is still cheap.
We're always looking for the best deal ;)

elbowtko

Newly Enlightened
We're always looking for the best deal ;)

Wow, that is (almost) double the price of the nitecore EA4, before then they were comparable in price.

Now it is in the league of Eagletac's 3x AA

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brothers EA4 ;) didn't melt (yet)

leave it in the car in the hottest day of summer, you'll see a balooning switch. hahaha..

they used the wrong material, should be silicon switch, not rubber! :)

kj2

Flashaholic
leave it in the car in the hottest day of summer, you'll see a balooning switch. hahaha..
they used the wrong material, should be silicon switch, not rubber! :)
Well, I'm not going to do that ;) although tomorrow can be a dangerous day for the EA4 here, temperature will be around 35 degrees Celsius(outside).

kj2

Flashaholic
Update: made some beam photos tonight of the D40A, Eagletac GX25A3 and the Nitecore EA4. I hope they turn-out nicely. (fingers crossed, camera didn't pick up the light that well)
Hope to add them tomorrow to the review :)

edit; been really busy this Tuesday (installing a new desk), hope to get some time on Wednesday to add the photos.

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saying...ordered mine for half the price as most places. There are 2 or 3 shops that are selling them at very reasonable prices. Check out the other D40A threads for those kind of details. I'm more and more excited since I ordered this light. Plan on trying it out as a bike light on a rubber flashlight mount.

Bumble

Enlightened
Just saying...ordered mine for half the price as most places. There are 2 or 3 shops that are selling them at very reasonable prices. Check out the other D40A threads for those kind of details. I'm more and more excited since I ordered this light. Plan on trying it out as a bike light on a rubber flashlight mount.

im really looking forward to mine arriving its currently just arrived in the uk :) i take it you got it from WB or FT (where i got mine) for $49 delivered ;)