ReviewTheLight: Thrunite Ti3 (1xAAA, 150+ lumens!)

TITAN3000

Newly Enlightened
Nice review!
Yeah, THERE was also a try with a not fully charged Li-Ion (ca. 3,8v) wich destroyed the lamp after short time.
Maybe it is possible to use it with a 3,2v LiFePO4 10440 cell (can be found better under LiFePO4 AAA) without destroying it, should add some extra lumens :D
Disadvantage of this cells is, that u will probably need an extra charger.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review!
Yeah, THERE was also a try with a not fully charged Li-Ion (ca. 3,8v) wich destroyed the lamp after short time.
Maybe it is possible to use it with a 3,2v LiFePO4 10440 cell (can be found better under LiFePO4 AAA) without destroying it, should add some extra lumens :D
Disadvantage of this cells is, that u will probably need an extra charger.

Yeah, looks like that reviewer measured after depleting his cell to 3.8 V, but Thrunite's specs claim the driver can only handle up to 3.0 V, so I'm not too surprised it went :poof:. So, even if you really wanted to use a LiFeP04 cell, you'd want to make sure it was discharged to 3.0 V first. Even then, Thrunite doesn't claim the Ti3 can support that chemistry, so you'd likely be out of warranty if something went wrong.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I would have loved this light if it came with a single mode option or the first level were highest.

TITAN3000

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:

:)

Yeah, looks like that reviewer measured after depleting his cell to 3.8 V, but Thrunite's specs claim the driver can only handle up to 3.0 V, so I'm not too surprised it went :poof:. So, even if you really wanted to use a LiFeP04 cell, you'd want to make sure it was discharged to 3.0 V first. Even then, Thrunite doesn't claim the Ti3 can support that chemistry, so you'd likely be out of warranty if something went wrong.

The older Tn2 version of Thrunite could officially only be used to 1,5v but some people drove it with a Li-Ion without problems.

With his partial discharged Li-Ion (i think 3,8v (+27%) without load, with load it should be 3,6 - 3,7v (20-23%) i guess) he measured 260 lumens.
Fully charged LiFePO4 cells should have about 3,3v - 3,4v (+13%) without load, and 3,1-3,2 v (+7%) under load.

Imput voltage seems to be very sensitive, if "only" 27% more voltage kills the lamp such quick.
I am not an electic pro, hope that this calc is correct :D
just let´s say that some "think" inside overheated through usual ohmic resistance. (P = Power = Heat, R is the resistance, which stays the same (ca.) --> constant --> can fall away)
P = U^2/R --> 1,27*1,27 = 1,61

3,8v --> 61% more heat
3,6v --> 44% more heat
3,4v --> 21% more heat
3,2v --> 14-15% more heat

So, if my calculations are more ore lesss correct AND the fail was caused by an overheating ohmic resistance-part, then this half voltage could make the difference.
But maybe there was another part insaide, that failed, and it has nothing to do with ohmic resistance.. in the end, someone has to test it.. no risk, no fun :D

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
This seems like a nice light.

Are there coupon codes?

Only one place online that sells it?

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems like a nice light.

Are there coupon codes?

Only one place online that sells it?

I see three links to buy it online in the first page of google results, but it's Thrunite's own store, Amazon, and Ebay, so that's not much variety. I haven't heard about any coupons, though Thrunite does offer them for their small lights pretty often, you might check on cpfmp.

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
i just placed an order for it...looks like tomorrow is the release date

BlueSwede

Newly Enlightened
looks like they extended the release date until september 20th now...i hate waiting.
Isn't it possible the first batch sold out really fast and that the new date is for the second batch? I ordered last week and hope that's the case [emoji6]

BlueSwede

Newly Enlightened
looks like they extended the release date until september 20th now...i hate waiting.
Isn't it possible the first batch sold out really fast and that the new date is for the second batch? I ordered last week and hope that's the case [emoji6]

I'm already very happy with my Olight i3s but the UI and even lower low interests me...

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all,great review and type i like as i can skip the geeky and anorak wearing bits so thanks again for that.

Right would i buy it?.......Not a chance as it as much use to me as an ashtray on a motor cycle for the following reasons.

1) The UI is an absolute pig and would be so much easier with a clickie.
2) A silly poser strobe mode in stead of a decent medium mode of say 25 to 50 lumens.

Firefly...low...medium...high with a clickie,would buy it all day long as it is not a chance.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all,great review and type i like as i can skip the geeky and anorak wearing bits so thanks again for that.

Right would i buy it?.......Not a chance as it as much use to me as an ashtray on a motor cycle for the following reasons.

1) The UI is an absolute pig and would be so much easier with a clickie.
2) A silly poser strobe mode in stead of a decent medium mode of say 25 to 50 lumens.

Firefly...low...medium...high with a clickie,would buy it all day long as it is not a chance.

Glad you like the review ;). I agree, a clicky switch would make operation easier, but unfortunately it usually adds length, and can be a bit awkward if you want to keychain mount it. And yeah, I've never been a fan of strobe modes, but as long as their kept out of the main sequence I'll be happy.