Rexlight REX 2.1 vs 2.0: RUNTIMES, THROW, OUTPUT, etc - Now with 14500 runtimes!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm getting confused. Is the upgrade module the same as the 2.1 or 2.1 002, or is there any difference between the two?
Honestly, I'm not sure either, since I don't have a 2.1 002 to compare. Kai hasn't been entirely clear - he's implied that this upgrade module has the new circuit, but he also says it's not meant to compete with the new 2.1 002 build. :thinking:

Certainly, this upgrade module incorporates one feature he promised on 2.1 002 - greater output on standard batteries. So, I suspect this circuit is the same as the new build, but you would need to check with Kai to confirm.

tty5150

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid I received malfunctioned module. The 14500 low voltage protection starts blinking around 3.45-3.55V. That's way to high. I tested that both with protected (TrustFire) and unprotected (Ultra Fire) batteries.

Any one has the same problem?

parkschr

Newly Enlightened
Rexlight REX 2.1 - Holster?

Does anyone know of a holster that can be used with the Rexlight?

Thanks

HiltiHome

Enlightened
I'm afraid I received malfunctioned module. The 14500 low voltage protection starts blinking around 3.45-3.55V. That's way to high. I tested that both with protected (TrustFire) and unprotected (Ultra Fire) batteries.

Low voltage warning at 3,5v with no load is just right.
At 3,5V a LiON cell is almost empty.
Don't store it in this condition, recharge immediately.

Unidentified

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, I'm not sure either, since I don't have a 2.1 002 to compare. Kai hasn't been entirely clear - he's implied that this upgrade module has the new circuit, but he also says it's not meant to compete with the new 2.1 002 build. :thinking:

Certainly, this upgrade module incorporates one feature he promised on 2.1 002 - greater output on standard batteries. So, I suspect this circuit is the same as the new build, but you would need to check with Kai to confirm.

First of all, thanks heaps as always, Selfbuilt, for your resourcefulness. I haven't purchased a light without consulting one of your reviews first. :twothumbs

Re: Kai's statement of "[upgrade module] not meant to compete with the new 002 build", I went to ask him specifically whether build 002 uses the same module as the Rex 2.1 drop-in module upgrade for Rex 2.0. And his answer was "Yes build 002 is the same as the Rex2.1 drop-in."

I've been hesitating to order a Rex 2.1 based on your initial review that the output deminished compared to 2.0; but now that he confirmed build 002 is on par with 2.0's brightness when using AA, I went ahead to order one. :D

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Kai's statement of "[upgrade module] not meant to compete with the new 002 build", I went to ask him specifically whether build 002 uses the same module as the Rex 2.1 drop-in module upgrade for Rex 2.0. And his answer was "Yes build 002 is the same as the Rex2.1 drop-in."
Thanks for the info Unidentified - I've just updated the main post. Good to have that confirmed.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone! :wave:

P.S.: I use the Fenix 1AA-size holster to carry my Rex lights - a perfect fit. You can also use the Ultrafire 1AA-size holster, but it doesn't hold as snugly.

Last edited: