RIP George HW Bush

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Today Mr. Bush arrived in Washington aboard Air Force one. It seems the current American President had all the furniture removed in the Executive area of the plane so that HW could ride in the office one more time. Mr. Trump was quoted as saying "this great man should ride in the executive area instead of the belly of AirForce one."

That was one of many stories I heard today that most will never know. Example was when George's plane was falling from the sky he changed directions to ensure the cockpit opened so that the other two inside could escape first.

Or how he was a pretty good baseball player at Yale. A pro scout wanted to sign Bush after he saw him go 4 for 4 at bat and make some crucial plays at first base. It seems the coach told the scout "who George? Eh, he's not that good". Well it seems George thanked the coach for being honest to the scout. The scout told George "your coach says you're not that good". George responded "I'm not, today was a lucky day".

While the national press was praising George HW Bush today for being all those things they dogged him for back then, I got to hear a bunch of little to unknown snippets of his life as told by a local radio DJ who was a rock and roll DJ in the 1960's until the 70's. Then he ran radio stations for a while until retiring. He now has a talk radio show in the morning where most of the topics are little to unknown historical tid bits. It's like history class with a sense of humor.

Watching the tv as people continue to remember the life of George HW Bush while eating supper, there were times the lump in my throat interupted the routine of take a bite, chew and swallow. My kool aid was a bit salty as well.

My favorite quote heard today was by Charles Krauthammer (RIP) in 1992 who said "history does not remember polls and time will show this man was a much better President than his 38% rating".

Last edited:

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
God Bless 41 and the USA [emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]

Dignity, that's the word.
P

When President Ronald Reagan was wounded in an assassination attempt shortly after taking office, Vice President Bush was traveling. On the plane returning to Washington, he was determined not to be officious or take charge in a disrespectful way while "my friend" Reagan was fighting for his life. When John Matheny, his Air Force aide, suggested that he land on the South Lawn instead of at Andrews Air Force Base so he could get to the White House more quickly, Bush refused. "John," he said, "only the president lands on the South Lawn."

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG-20181203-203113.jpg

His service dog the next day

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bjyfixer, from what I read and heard from those close to GHWB, the service dog will be getting a new injured service member to take care of.

I'm also a political junkie. I hadn't heard until the other day that GHWB had Parkinson's. I new he had a lot of maladies, but Parkinson's wasn't one of them.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Admiration for a man who brought an attitude of a kinder, more gentle nation; who brought people and nations together. Like Sir Peter mentioned; Dignity.

Too bad he did not have the populist public speaking skills of his successor or predecessor.

The two men in his plane when he was shot down (in World War Two) did not make it. His son said their memory stayed with the President all his life. This, and an exceptional wife most likely helped forged him into the great leader that he was.

For those of you who were aware during those times, it might be a fond remembrance of the Saturday Night Live skits with Dana Carvey playing George Bush. And hopefully there are some here who will smile when remembering this compassionate dedicated person, being very sick but wanting to attend a State Dinner, uncontrollably upchucking all over a foreign dignitary...

We can only hope someday we will have another leader of his stature and skill.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if everyone's seen this or not but it's an interesting letter from Bush 41 to Bill Clinton when Bush 41 was leaving the white house after a failed re-election bid. Regardless of the man's politics I think this says a lot about him as a person and I couldn't imagine many presidents doing this nowadays.

tlnqKiV.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
He was a mensch.

I had the pleasure listening to the eulogys on the radio and dawg gone if a gentle snow started falling. To me that was God telling the world "this one is one of mine".....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thatz pretty cool CaveDave.

Was listening to an interview with 41 and Brian Kilmeade about his love of baseball and for a minute my brain was thinking "wow, he does a great Dana Carvey doing an HW Bush routine". lol
I had to pause breifly to realize it was really 41 speaking.

RIP 41. You made a difference.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I used to do photo Op., lines for President Bush. My Mom was dying with cancer, and in three weeks I had a scheduled job with President G.H.W Bush. He liked me because he always told me and my team, we were the fastest in a Photo Op. line.

My mom knew of the upcoming job, and told me, "You can not cancel that job with the president, no matter what happens or you will never work again."

The morning of the job, she passed away. That evening , my girl friend, now my wife, came and picked me up. We concluded the project as President Bush liked...Fast. Later in the green room I told him of my mom passing (She knew President Bush), and he cleared the room of everyone, even his USSS protection detail.

The president asked me why I was even here, and I said: my mom told me to not cancel. After that, he said some of the most wonderful things to me I have ever heard, and will never repeat. My future wife came back in, and he unbuttoned his suit coat, took off his presidential seal tie bar, off his tie, and put it in my hand.

After that, we rode with the president in his limo in the motorcade, not the van we were to be in, to the estate he was staying. He gave some brief remarks that included my showing up for the project, in front of some of the most powerful people in the country at the time.

This is was the worst night of my life, and somehow, he made it the best.

President Bush and I worked many times in the future, he was always so nice to myself, wife and daughter.

Thank you, Mr. President, and for all you did for me. It will never be forgotten.

RIP,

RL

PS... I covered the Bush Funeral from beginning to end. My fourth presidential funeral.

Last edited: