Sad day for Lumens....

Illum

Flashaholic
Many masters, you cant be on the peak of the mountain without some else standing on a higher peak...

I've been through this b/f....

I 19 year old kid [me] finds himself using a SF G2 to compare against a 8 year old boy [neighbor's daughter's son] whos balancing himself as he welds a vector 1MCP spotlight...

sigh...no dice

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
You have heard of the TW4 haven't you?

There was the Aleph series by Don, but since the price reflected the quality, everyone opted to buy cheap imports and the series is now discontinued. It fits everything you ask for except the price. You could have anything between a LuxI for runtime to a LuxV for a small powerhouse. The components were readily available until it became too much hassle for a one-person operation to deal with all the unreasonable demands from the CPF who wanted everything good and cheap. Cheap you can get, good is certainly possible, but good things don't come cheap.

BTW I used a Viren's heatsink(if you know what that is), and I already said it's waht I used. The Viren heatsink is one hunk of copper that is much much more capable of absorbing heat than 2 pennies can. That and the fact I used the Q3 on a daily basis, not just shine it against the wall here and there, was my way of testing its long term durability with the whole R123 setup. The result was 3 burnt out LEDs(UWOK, TWOK, UX1J). With the money I got wrapped up in that Q-III I could have bought a whole L4.

But you obvously have your mind made up and that's find with me. It's your choice as a consumer to believe in whatever you think. I'm just hear to offer my experience with making my verion of the Ultimate Q-III and how it turned out and my reflection on it when comparing it to better designed lights made by people making living wage.

Nick, you already know that I'm familiar with Viren's heatsink.
In fact, just 7 weeks ago we exchanged half a dozen PM's about the Q3 and you had described to me how you had to shim up one of Viren's heatsinks in your Q3 in order to raise the copper heatsink star assembly up to the proper height for the best focus with the McR20 reflector you were using. Do you remember telling me about the UCL you filed down to fit your Q3's bezel?

It was your positive PM replies to me about the Q3 that actually made me curious as to why you were somewhat down on them now.

I recall you mentioning that the UX1J you were using back in May was drawing an astonishing 1.7 amps at the beginning of a run with a freshly charged R123 so I'll remember that and resist the temptation of thinking about a U**J bin in my Q3.

Would it be fair to say that the life expectancy of U**J binned star in a Q3 with a copper heatsink is less than 50 hours?

I've heard of the TW4 and it seems to be a very sweet light indeed, but a TW4 is apples compared to the Q3's oranges.

I could buy 5 or 6 new Q3's and the rechargeable cells to go in them for what I'd have to lay out for just one KL4 on a E series single 123 body combo and I'm not including the cost of adding in the E1e 2 stage switch upgrade.

A TW4 compared to a Q3 is like comparing a Corvette to a Chevette. They will both get the primary task done but beyond that they are in 2 totally different leagues.

Lastly, what is the "lights made by people making a living wage" comment about??

UWAK

Enlightened
270winchester said:
If you wanted you can use a Vital Gear body with a KL4 to build a legendary shorty verion of the TW4. A light about 3.5 inches long and puts out 100 lumens out the front.
Is it true that TW4 still produce 100 lumen with those RCR123???

Frids

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would have felt dumb too... for about 2 seconds, till i grabbed my M85! lol

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumenHound said:
Nick, you already know that I'm familiar with Viren's heatsink.
In fact, just 7 weeks ago we exchanged half a dozen PM's about the Q3 and you had described to me how you had to shim up one of Viren's heatsinks in your Q3 in order to raise the copper heatsink star assembly up to the proper height for the best focus with the McR20 reflector you were using. Do you remember telling me about the UCL you filed down to fit your Q3's bezel?

It was your positive PM replies to me about the Q3 that actually made me curious as to why you were somewhat down on them now.

I recall you mentioning that the UX1J you were using back in May was drawing an astonishing 1.7 amps at the beginning of a run with a freshly charged R123 so I'll remember that and resist the temptation of thinking about a U**J bin in my Q3.

Would it be fair to say that the life expectancy of U**J binned star in a Q3 with a copper heatsink is less than 50 hours?

I've heard of the TW4 and it seems to be a very sweet light indeed, but a TW4 is apples compared to the Q3's oranges.

I could buy 5 or 6 new Q3's and the rechargeable cells to go in them for what I'd have to lay out for just one KL4 on a E series single 123 body combo and I'm not including the cost of adding in the E1e 2 stage switch upgrade.

A TW4 compared to a Q3 is like comparing a Corvette to a Chevette. They will both get the primary task done but beyond that they are in 2 totally different leagues.

Lastly, what is the "lights made by people making a living wage" comment about??

Lumenhound:

I certainly do remember talking to you about the Q3 I have and which I was using to try to build a "sleeper".

I was discussing it as an experimental light which may very well have pushed to envelop more than a bit with the stock design. It is also true that people have put in other circuit boards such as the FluPic that make the Q3 an outstanding light with many useful features. but then again once you replace the LED, the board, the reflector, the glass, the power source, how much a Q3 is this Q3 have now?

I still think the light is a good project, and I fully realize that by using a ***j luxIII I'm drastically reducing the lifetime of the LED. Your points are very valid and I certainly do not disagree.

What I am trying to say here, since this is not the Homemade and Modified section, is that this person is not a modder(not yet, but I certainly hope he joins the rank of many modders much more competent than I am), and he would have take a few risks and experiments, and I am assuming the least and give my advice to a person who just wants a light that's reliable enough for hime to carry on a daily basis and is very bright. I am pointing out the fact taht it MAY not be reliable in the long run, that the board can quit and the user would be left in the dark. once you replace the board the cost of the light just went up another 10 dollars at least.

So don't take my comments in the wrong way, the Q3 is the most mod-friendly platform I have seen yet as far as complete lights go. but that's as far as I will reccomend it, as a platform for experiments, not as a main-stay light for someone to carry.

As far as the Chevette to Corvette analogy goes, you can buy a base model corvette for 35-40k, that is factory designed to hand the power with proper tranny, suspension, chassis and body work to hand the power, acceleration, speed on bumpy road, aerodynamics and rigity to prevent frame twist under the torqu that the power from a V8.

or you can buy a Chevette(which is no longer made), throw in a bunch of money for upgrades and you are still left with a chassis designed for a 4 banger, suspension that can't handle the speed the souped up engine can provide, and body work that goes throw the air like a motorhome.

At the end of the day the Corvette can usually be trusted to be a commuter(abeit a loud, fuel-hungry, and insurance unfriendly one) without too much maintainence.

The Chevette would have be looked after to make sure nothing small breaks that leads to bigger headaches down the road.

Since the original poster was carrying the Q3 as an EDC, I am recommending him a Corvette since he obviously wouldn;t mind be the one with the power in his hands, rather than a Chevette that would have him looking after it like a home-modified light that it would be if he went ahead and tuned it up.

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
UWAK said:
Is it true that TW4 still produce 100 lumen with those RCR123???

Frids

I am assuming so since the 3 KL4s I have had all run regulated on R123, and I haven;t heard anyone on CPF to say that their KL4s don't run in regulation with 3.7v R123s.

The KL4, or rather L4, with a Pila 600s gives you 1 hour of flat output brfore the battery shuts down. It's my daily EDC along side of a HDS U60 or an A2. it's a small light and very slim. Of course I don't try to hang it off my key chain so it works for me. I'm not a skinny guy so it dissapears in my pocket very easily, even when clipped to my pocket.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I humbly recommend that the best light to win contests,friends,Babes and influence people in general is the mighty Orb Raw 3W. Got to love that high beam for dazzle factor in something smaller than a lipstick. It even has guilt free lumens! I hear the Red/orange version is way brighter!!! Anybody have one yet?

Be Lucky...

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire M6 with HOLA. Sometimes have it mounted on my M16. Always a winner.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would win any EDC contest! LOL

I just tested out an L4 and will prob score one form OpticsHQ in the near future (doing car brakes tomorrow, need to save $$$ for now)

M6 would be nice :)

JasonC8301 said:
Surefire M6 with HOLA. Sometimes have it mounted on my M16. Always a winner.

Navck

Enlightened
I would suggest that you to build a ROP LE. That will definitely blow the kid away without costing too much.

Last edited: