School me please

jimmyswan

Newly Enlightened
I've been playing with hotwires and drop in's for a while now, but would like to do something from scratch. What I want to to is something along the lines of a 2 or 3 x lithium setup on a sst-50 in a mag 4c host. What I do not understand or have any grasp of at all is the driver/circuit board things:shrug:. I'm not really looking for someone to tell me exactly how to build this but somewhere to read up and inderstand what all the different boards do and how to hook them up. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated. I see posts where people have sandwiched boards together and I really dont understand any of it. Thanks.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
Well a lot of them look to be far simpler than I ever imagined.

You supply the power from the batteries to the 2 power in points.... the LED connects to the two LED points... and there's usually two points to wire a momentary switch into... then you stick it onto the heat sink.

Things to watch out for:
Short circuits - use Arctic Alumina for nice heat transfer without electrical conductivity. Available as thermal paste or epoxy.
Correct polarity - pay careful attention to wiring up your + and - the right way or it may go :poof:
Where to put things - Will it all fit!
Heat - You need good contact with the heat sink, especially the LED otherwise :poof:

jimmyswan

Newly Enlightened
What I really don't understand is what works or how to figure what works in different applications. For example what is a buck convertor? and do i need one? Sorry for the questions, but I honestly dont understand but really want to learn. This is what keeps my interest up in stuff like this.

Latest posts