Seeking 1xAA/14500 or 1xCR123A/16340 EDC light with red secondary

nbp

Flashaholic
Or, alternatively, an over-priced ego booster for people with too much money and too little sense. There's no place you can go with a Mercedes AMG that I can't get to in my Ford F-150, and my Timex quartz watch is just as accurate at telling time as any Rolex. heck, my Timex is even more accurate than my Breitling. :D

I love and use my BOSS, just like I love and use my automatic knives, which you also despise. You seem bent on berating anyone who appreciates and finds function in things you don't personally like. You might want to dial that back a bit if you want to get along on an enthusiast forum where discussing cutting edge features and technology is literally the whole point we are here.

fuyume

Enlightened
When and how do you plan on using red mode?
Whenever I need a dim red light in the dark to help preserve night vision. The EC11 is going to be my new EDC, replacing the Fenix E12 v2.0 I bought earlier this year. The E12 will go into my backpacking/camping kit, as for that purpose, I still prefer AA primary cells.

fuyume

Enlightened
I love and use my BOSS, just like I love and use my automatic knives, which you also despise. You seem bent on berating anyone who appreciates and finds function in things you don't personally like. You might want to dial that back a bit if you want to get along on an enthusiast forum where discussing cutting edge features and technology is literally the whole point we are here.

You seem offended that people might have different opinions about your favorite toys.

I'm not "berating" anyone, I'm saying that a $545.00 flashlight is not really what one expects to be recommended when the discussion is about sub-$60 lights. "Enthusiast" doesn't mean the same thing as "wealthy".

I don't "despise" automatic knives, I think that automatic knives and assisted-opening knives are superfluous. It's one woman's opinion, based on decades of experience of using knives. You are free to disagree. There's no "cutting edge" technology in an Overready flashlight, it's just an expensive flashlight. Much less is there anything "cutting edge" about a switchblade or an assisted-opener, except of course, the actual cutting edge.

You are free to like, buy, and use any flashlight you prefer, and it's no skin off my nose if you spend 10 times what I spend. My flashlights will still light up my night, and my knives will still cut cleanly, no matter how much money you choose to spend. There are a lot of people in this world who would find my Breitling Avenger Seawolf watch, my Gerber AirFrame knife, or my Fenix PD36 TAC extravagant and unnecessary wastes of money. I am sure there are lots of people who would and will look down on me for my choices because they can afford to spend many times more than I can afford.

And if I could afford $500-600 for a single flashlight, or a Mercedes AMG, you can be sure the last thing in the world I'd be worried about is other people's opinions of how I spend my money.

Last edited:

fuyume

Enlightened
What's not to love about automatic knives....fire a Piranha and ProTech and you just don't go back

This really isn't the right space to discuss my opinion of automatic knives, so to avoid further derailment, I'll just say I made my opinion known in the forum for knives, here.

fuyume

Enlightened
FedEx dropped off the package a while ago. I charged up the Fenix battery and popped it in. Everything works great, and I'm very pleased with my purchases. The dealer sent along a free Olight i3E EOS, for which I have no use, personally, so I will happily give it away to a friend as a holiday present.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today being Black Friday, and me not really desperately needing a new flashlight, I am of course not letting that stop me from shopping. After all, my birthday is 9 days away, and I already have a new fountain pen picked out that's being released on 12/6 (TWSBI ECO Jade, in case you are wondering).

I'm looking for a single-cell EDC light with direct access to a red secondary light that uses common cells. The only products I've been able to find on the market are the Nitecore EA11 and EC11, both discontinued, apparently, although a few places have some EC11s still in stock. I think I'd actually prefer the EA11, but no one seems to have them anymore. They have been supplanted by the MT10A and MT10C, both of which require two-handed, two-button operation to access the red light, so I won't buy them.

Are there any others I should be looking at, before I plunk down money? I absolutely want one-hand, one-button, direct access to the red LED without having to switch the light on in white mode first, and I absolutely want a replaceable common cell type, preferably with the option to use rechargeables.

I have a Nitecore M10A and did not realize it had a red LED in it! lol :grin2: You can get it to turn on using the red LED right off that bat by just setting it to red using the buttons on the head of the light, then turn it off. It has a memory of the last mode used. It can also use a NIHH, AA Lithium, and a 14500 if you want 900+ lumens out of it. I mainly have used it with NIMH around the house. I know you have already made your choice, but thought I would pass this info along in case you were not aware!