• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Seeking Advice on Baltic/Shasta Combo (or...Fujiyama?)

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old flashlight budget is a little tight right now, so don't know if I'll be able to do this, but----what I have in mind is a mix-and-match combo of a Baltic P4 head, a Shasta 3 LED head, a 1xAAA body, and a 2xAAA body.

I would appreciate guidance from any Peak fans who have owned some or all of these components, so as to get an idea which power levels I should choose, as well as collateral issues such as whether 2xAAA would be too much juice for an UP Shasta head, whether the Baltic SP head is worth considering, etc.

Or----I could take a less wallet taxing route and just pick up a Fujiyama. I've probably read less about it than any other Peak light, so would love to hear from any owners. BTW, the Peak website has the Fuji HP @ 79cp and UP @92cp.....and the Mattie HP at 79cp and the UP @110cp----is this accurate?

As for points of reference, I have owned a Pacific P4 UP with AA and CR2 bodies, and several "old style" 1 and 3 LED Shastas, but have never had a Baltic, nor have I ever used a 2xAAA body with a Peak 5mm LED head.

Thanks for any advice, experiences, opinions, etc.

Last edited:

MWClint

Enlightened
Re: Seeking Advice on Baltic/Shasta Combo

the baltic circuit is the same as the pacific..only difference is the size of the reflector..a little smaller so its a bit floodier. i have an SP baltic and a UP shasta. shasta and baltic cicuits will boost 2aaa properly, both are great on 2 cells. to get an idea of the difference betwen 1 and 2 cells, compare
your 1aa pacific to the cr2 pacific.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the post, Clint. So, how do you like your SP Baltic? How bright is it and what kind of runtime (on what kind of cell) does it get?

MWClint

Enlightened
Thanks for the post, Clint. So, how do you like your SP Baltic? How bright is it and what kind of runtime (on what kind of cell) does it get?

my favorite combo with the sp baltic is an nimh N cell (500mah)..i beleive it's drawing 650 mah..so thats a 45 minute runtime to 50%. i keep it attached to
the zipper on my backpack. it steps down in brightness as a pacific would.
i'd bet you would get 1 hour on a AAA.

it's less bright than the sp pacific (which has an 800mah draw on 1AA), since
the N cell cant provide the current that an eneloop AA can.

hooking it up to 2xN cells is brighter than pacific on 1AA but less than the pacific on the CR2. nimh N cells have a high internal resistance.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

See my previous threads/posts.
I have 4 Fujiyamas and can recommend them all:

- Stainless HP 3led blue: bright, but not like a 3led snow.
- Stainless HP 3led red: very dim, good "nightwalker" extreme runtime
- Stainless HP 1led snow: brighter than 1led HP Matterhorn
- HA HP 3led snow: bright, some 15 lumens (comparable to luxeon Pacific on 2AAA or Streamlight Stylus Pro)

(except for the red, 3 led Fujiyamas do get warm/hot)
I like the Fujiyamas more than the Matterhorns because of their flat regulation against the dimming 1AAA Matterhorns.

Kind regards,
Joris

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clint and Joris, thanks for your posts and the helpful info. Joris, I did find and read some of your earlier posts regarding the Fujiyama, which were likewise very helpful.

Thanks, gents.