Seeking info on Modlite

matt4350

Enlightened
Hi all,

I was thinking of getting a Modlite, specifically the OKW 18650 model (or maybe PLHv2, but I think that may run hot after a while?). Anyone got any experience with this light? If you've ever used one I'd be interested in your opinion, especially regards how it handles heat, and what sort of stepdowns I'd experience. I'm assuming they're a rugged light and likely suited for duty use.

I was looking at the Surefire EDC2 DFT and noticed the Modlite would be cheaper than these to buy in Australia.

TIA,
Matt

Last edited:

drunktank

Newly Enlightened
I have both heads including the HOG.

Mine all run a little hotter than either of my Surefire Turbo's but nothing bad like my Cloud Defensive MCH's. The step down seems similar between my Modlite's and Surefires (the Clouds have the biggest step down in case anyone is wondering).

I find myself carrying an EDC1/EDC2 more often than my OKW because the Surefires have higher candela/farther throw. But for normal/EDC use, I lean towards the PlhV2 overall. Reason being is that the beam pattern is still tight and the candela is high enough to punch through shadows and barriers during day and night for my uses, but has more usable spill than the OKW. My Modlites have much better fit & finish than the Surefires and are compatible with Thyrm Switchbacks, which is my preference.

Hope this helps any.

Werks Holsters on YouTube has a couple good videos that compare the lights and include testing results for everything mentioned.

matt4350

Enlightened
I have both heads including the HOG.

Mine all run a little hotter than either of my Surefire Turbo's but nothing bad like my Cloud Defensive MCH's. The step down seems similar between my Modlite's and Surefires (the Clouds have the biggest step down in case anyone is wondering).

I find myself carrying an EDC1/EDC2 more often than my OKW because the Surefires have higher candela/farther throw. But for normal/EDC use, I lean towards the PlhV2 overall. Reason being is that the beam pattern is still tight and the candela is high enough to punch through shadows and barriers during day and night for my uses, but has more usable spill than the OKW. My Modlites have much better fit & finish than the Surefires and are compatible with Thyrm Switchbacks, which is my preference.

Hope this helps any.

Werks Holsters on YouTube has a couple good videos that compare the lights and include testing results for everything mentioned.
Thanks mate, I'm leaning towards the Surefire now that you've mentioned the throw. They look up to the job, but I only recently found out about Modlite and that picqued my interest, I have no way of getting a look at one pre-purchase. Had a look at the Werks vids and they look great, Cheers.

Last edited: