Serious Q: 16340 flashlights: diff betw $5 cree and $40 Fenix

row111

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Everyone - since I have a few 16340 batteries, I thought I would get a flashlight at this size. I got a couple, each about $5 but two different "brands," (they may all be made in the same factory for all I know), and I am happy with them.

What is the reason to get a Fenix, at a much greater cost? Is it just the greater lumens? Fenix says "700" and the inexpensive one says "300." Is it the color of the light? Reliability? I get nearly 10 hours of light from the $5 with a decent 16340 battery. Does the Fenix give the higher lumens for about the same time? That would make the dollar difference be something to think about.

If it is just the brightness, then I am happy - if I want a brighter flashlight, I just use one running on a 26650 battery. Thoughts? (I did look to see if there was a similar thread.)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the reason to get a Fenix, at a much greater cost? Is it just the greater lumens?

Yes.

Is it the color of the light?

Yes.

Reliability?

Yes.

Does the Fenix give the higher lumens for about the same time?

Yes.

I think you're getting it. :D

Also, the Fenix may have a regulated output that doesn't drop over time, your cheapie probably doesn't. The Fenix may have more features, such as a better user interface. Better warranty, smaller size or better feel to it, etc.

But if you're happy with a $5 light, nothing wrong with that. One good thing is it doesn't matter much if you lose it.

spaceminions

Newly Enlightened
Do you have any other flashlights at all? What's the one you refer to that uses a 26650? Because in general, as soon as you try a better one, you notice the difference.

Still, okay, let's think this through. A 16340 contains about 2.6 watt-hours of energy. You get nearly 10 hours of light from one of the $5 ones. Therefore, they're using about 0.26 watts of power average. Of course, they're going to be brighter at first and dim at the end, generally. Assuming the level of efficiency that these tend to have (70 lumens/watt is not unreasonable, sadly) your average brightness is going to be something like 18.2 lumens, which is pretty dim. Probably a few times that at first, and less near the end. But either way, that's just one thing - wildly overestimating their brightness is par for the course with crappy lights, and if you don't care you don't care.

Next thing. The color is probably bluish white, maybe greenish, and doesn't make someone look healthy if you shine it on them, right? While people who grew up with crappy LEDs may be used to that, it's actually completely possible to get lights that look just as natural as sunlight, or even look like halogen or something if you prefer.

Next thing. Reliability: absolutely. They're probably damaging your cells every time you run them down until they stop making light, because they almost certainly have no low voltage protection, so eventually they will not recharge any more, and maybe the damage will make the cells start a fire when you try to recharge them. who knows. They're not built very well, in general, so if they get splashed with rain it could knock them out, if they get dropped and your luck is bad they could go out, etc. Generally a good flashlight, and I don't necessarily say a specific brand when I say that, will not stop working without a pretty good reason.

Anyway, there's lots of 18650 lights for instance that hold much more energy than yours, and would last much longer on a higher brightness, not to mention those of them that aren't built for maximum power can be a lot more efficient, especially on the lower levels you have been using. Zebralight for instance is known for being efficient at lower modes especially.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing about cheapie lights is their advertised lumen ratings are almost always vastly inflated. Your $5 cheapie might say "300 lumens", but might only do 50 lumens.

In contrast, the lumen ratings from known decent quality manufacturers like Fenix are usually much closer to reality.

Also the emitter in the Fenix is probably a genuine Cree emitter that's more efficient and brighter than the clone emitter that's probably in the cheapie.

row111

Newly Enlightened
They're probably damaging your cells every time you run them down until they stop making light, because they almost certainly have no low voltage protection, so eventually they will not recharge any more, and maybe the damage will make the cells start a fire when you try to recharge them. who knows.

My 16340 batteries have low voltage protection. That is true whether I put it in a Fenox at $40, or a no-name at $5. what does the Fenix do to safeguard the use of the energy in a 16340 so that the battery has a longer life? And/or does not get to be a fire risk?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
..........What is the reason to get a Fenix, at a much greater cost? Is it just the greater lumens? Fenix says "700" and the inexpensive one says "300." Is it the color of the light? Reliability? I get nearly 10 hours of light from the $5 with a decent 16340 battery. Does the Fenix give the higher lumens for about the same time? That would make the dollar difference be something to think about.

If it is just the brightness, then I am happy............
I think you kind of know the answer. Ya one will give more lumens per mAh of battery life than the other one. One aspect of this flashlight hobby that is important to me is efficiency. You will get better efficiency and regulation out of the Fenix and other comparable priced brands than the $5 flashlight. It may only amount to 20% more efficient, but as others have pointed out there are other aspects that make up for the price difference.

The only way to compare two lights is to do run time tests with a data logging light meter and graph the results. You cannot count on the manufacturers specifications. Some are more accurate than others. Besides, whatever battery they are basing their specs on may not be the battery I use. 10 hours of light from a $5 light means nothing without actually knowing what the lumens are.

I personally don't care about the high lumen number that most flashlight manufacturers advertise. Evidently lumens sells. But I find that efficiency and battery life, along with solid current regulation is far more important to me and is a reflection of the art and care in the design of the electronic driver. You will not find that kind of attention in the cheap lights. :)

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya you get what you pay for and after awhile you will get experience in flashlights and know what's good and what's not. When I first got here I remembered buying my first "good" light a Surefire E2E. Must be 2004-2005 I also remember asking the sales guy how does this compare with a mini mag lol he actually laughed and said you will see. Once I got it I knew what he was talking about

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
from what I can tell almost ALL the new Fenix lights are IP68 rated. Even if it is not IP68 it is IPX8. That means the Fenix is built to far tighter tolerances and has much higher quality electronics. Which Fenix are you looking at OP?