Setting up a charging area.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
When setting up an area to do your charging in, there are a few things to keep in mind. The idea is to plan for an emergency, and never have one.

It is nice to have a plug in strip that you plug your chargers into. That way you can flip the switch and shut everything down when you are away from your chargers.

Your charging area should be free of clutter and laid out so that you can keep an eye on things. Some people mount a smoke alarm in the area, and it is always a good idea to have a fire extinguisher close by.

Another important piece of equipment in the charging area is a timer. If your attention happens to stray during charging, the timer will bring you back to keep an eye on things. The idea is to always attend to the charge. This is most important while charging Li-Ion and Li-Poly cells, but it is also a good idea for the other chemistries as well.

You aren't going to be able to do this during a break in or forming charge, but you should try to attend to your charge the rest of the time.

This thread serves as a reminder that there are times when things go wrong.

It is important to have your chargers on a heat resistant surface, and in the event of venting, a chemical resistant surface as well. I use silicon pot holders and they work very well.

It is also important to keep an area above the charger free from drapes, curtins, and furniture. If your charger goes up in flames, you don't want anything above it igniting.

Ventilation is another thing to think about. The hope is that your cells will never vent, but if they do, it is nice to be able to air out the area.

Some people have problems with their power and plug their chargers into a UPS unit.

Anytime you store energy, there is an element of danger. Battery charging is no different. The best way to avoid problems is to attend to the charge and keep an eye on things. This is where the timer comes in. If you are interested in cell temperatures, you can hook up some way to monitor the temperature of the cells. This can range from a simple contact thermometer, to an IR gun.

When you think the charge should be done, pull the cells from the charger and then figure out why the charger didn't terminate the charge. You can ruin cells by overcharging them, so act first, then figure things out.

The idea of using a timer helps keep you focused even when you get that unexpected phone call, or fall to some other distraction.

Most of the time there should never be a problem, but following these few precautions will greatly help you in the event something does go wrong.

Tom

Russel

Enlightened
Ok, I'm using a cleared area with the charger sitting in a old 14" frying pan on top of a 12" square 1/2" thick aluminum plate. There is a fire extinguisher within 10 feet and a smoke detector above the area. Also, the charger is plugged into a UPS.

Darned if I didn't think of a timer!

Thanks for the very good information Tom!

Russ

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I keep a bucket of sand and fireplace tongs nearby, as most Li-Ion fires will not respond to a fire extinguisher.

My favorite location is empty garage or storage room with automatic door opener for ventilation. Cement or ceramic surfaces are nice for their inert heat insulating materials.

Timer is a good idea, particular those voice countdown ones that Tom recommended to me years ago. However, no matter how well intentioned I am to "watch" the charging, it becomes as interesting as watching paint dry...so setting things up to incorporate the human reality of boredom and distraction are tantamount...including a smoke detector nearby.

Russel

Enlightened
The waveform of most UPS' is not sinusoidal. Some chargers may operate incorrectly from this waveform.

Good point!

I alway pull the plug from the wall on the UPS with [insert you favorate electrical device here] powered from the UPS to see if the UPS handles the load OK and the device power from the UPS the waveform. I've made it a habit to check ever since I discovered my old 56K modem really didn't like squarewave AC.

Russ

Last edited:

Russel

Enlightened
I keep a bucket of sand and fireplace tongs nearby, as most Li-Ion fires will not respond to a fire extinguisher.

My favorite location is empty garage or storage room with automatic door opener for ventilation. Cement or ceramic surfaces are nice for their inert heat insulating materials.

Timer is a good idea, particular those voice countdown ones that Tom recommended to me years ago. However, no matter how well intentioned I am to "watch" the charging, it becomes as interesting as watching paint dry...so setting things up to incorporate the human reality of boredom and distraction are tantamount...including a smoke detector nearby.

I charge Lipo batteries in a cast iron fry pan with the lid in place. I didn't think that was needed charging aaa to D NiMH batteries.

The tongs are a very good idea...darn...missed another one!

Russ

dalekcommander

Newly Enlightened
I have the feeling from being around here for just a bit, that this a very detail oriented community - and while at first I thought my question would be a little OCD for some - now I don't know.

Concerning chargers:
I will be receiving a few lights next week to go with my small collection. Some of these lights will be running the same tye batts and will have the same excat chargers. (One charger sent with each light)

So - in the name of safety and consistency - would you use just one charger to juice up all of the batts and keep the others in storage for future replacement, or would each light have it's own charger assigned to make sure you get a consistent charge, etc.

Having a single charger for all would be minimalist, convenient, and probably easier to trouble shoot problems in case of heating issues, leaks, etc.

I ask here, because some of the Plant Ops guys at work have a 'policy' of using one outlet to recharge certain equipment, or having a handheld radio assigned to its own charger/base.

Just wondered if there was some reasoning behind that.

albertm

Newly Enlightened
I charge Lipo batteries in a cast iron fry pan with the lid in place. I didn't think that was needed charging aaa to D NiMH batteries.

The tongs are a very good idea...darn...missed another one!

Russ

My last NiMh battery pack blew up in my kitchen at 1 am only 1 1/2 hours into the charging cycle - what a mess! Smoke throughout the house, smoke detectors blaring, glowing pieces all over. It blew a 2lb meat tenderizer across the room - so that had better be a heavy frying pan.
Let me see if I understand the requirements:
Away from anything that can catch on fire.
Smoke detector,
Fire extinguisher,
110 volt timer circuit
Never charge unattended - yet don't get blown up yourself.
Here's my idea
Buy a 55 gal metal drum
Cut it in half, hinge the two halves
Weld a battery platform in the bottom half
Put in a timed circuit, a light and a web cam
Add a smoke detector wired to turn off the circuit.
Put the whole thing in the back yard 20 feet from anything.
Have wife inspect and approve entire setup before buying another battery pack.

Cost & trouble,substantial, Geek bragging rights invaluable.:kiss:

Russel

Enlightened
My last NiMh battery pack blew up in my kitchen at 1 am only 1 1/2 hours into the charging cycle - what a mess! Smoke throughout the house, smoke detectors blaring, glowing pieces all over. It blew a 2lb meat tenderizer across the room - so that had better be a heavy frying pan. ...

Wow! Maybe I should be use the cast iron fry pan (with lid) for charging the NiMH cells as well! Hmm...maybe the lid could have some type of restraint to keep it from becoming a projectile.

It scares the heck out of me to think what may have happened if you were right there when the cell blew!

Russ

HEDP

Enlightened
This is crazy.

I've always just plugged my lights in their chargers on my floor, which is carpet.

(These are however Streamlight Stingers that have the battery inside the light when charged.)

I didn't know you needed to do all of this stuff. (Do you really need to do all this stuff?)

I will be using Li-Ion batteries for a Lumapower Lumahunter MRV SK v1.1

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dalekcommander,

It is actually a personnel preference. I prefer to use 2 or 3 chargers for NiMh and NiCd chemistries, and then another 3 - 4 chargers for the various Li-Ion chemistries.

An average person could most likely get by with one charger for each chemistry, unless you invested in a hobby charger that charges all chemistries.

I am not your average person, and I use a lot of batteries almost daily. That is why I have and use so many chargers.

Tom

HEDP

Enlightened
Hello Dalekcommander,

It is actually a personnel preference. I prefer to use 2 or 3 chargers for NiMh and NiCd chemistries, and then another 3 - 4 chargers for the various Li-Ion chemistries.

An average person could most likely get by with one charger for each chemistry, unless you invested in a hobby charger that charges all chemistries.

I am not your average person, and I use a lot of batteries almost daily. That is why I have and use so many chargers.

Tom

Tom,

Your name came up here on this subject. Could you take a look at this thread please? (I don't mean to hijack this thread.)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224664

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello HEDP,

It does seem like a lot for something that is supposed to be relatively safe, but I have seen to many battery and charger failures to not have some concern.

That was the purpose in starting this thread.

For example...

My mother in law contacted me asking me for a recommendation for a charger. I asked her what happened to her old charger, and it melted down, damaging the wood table it was setting on. She caught the odor of wood charring and went to investigate. She doesn't know what may have happened if she was asleep or out of the house. The charger melted down and the cells in the charger vented and blew apart.

I gave her a similar list and her charging area is now safer.

We hope that nothing ever happens, but this is just some cheap insurance in case something goes wrong.

Tom

dalekcommander

Newly Enlightened
Hey Silverfox,
Thanks for your response! I'll be charging all li-ions, so the chemistry part is not a problem.

I'm already a little spooked after seeing some of the vids showing the batteries venting or exploding, so gone are the days of just leaving the charger on the floor while I shower....:drool:

I have a couple of options for setting up an area - you guys really got me thinking me here.

Thanks for the info!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
just adding:
some of the chemistries can output a gas that when Finnaly ignited , it can burn very . . . uhh. . . naw it can blow stuff to smithereens ;) so generally it is not a good idea to Contain these gasses prior to ignition.

like Lead acid overcharging can output hydrogen, well whoptidy doo, what they dont mention is, it also outputs Oxygen TOO, which when recombined rapidly is much cooler than just hydrogen burning. We did that in chemistry class, hydrogen baloon and oxygen hydrogen baloon, and the water maker was explosive, wheras the "zepplin" would just flame.

sooo, when one thinks about thier containment , they should think about not only melts and flames and metals that burn, but gases that once contained in tight little packages , then somehow ignited, can make some containment options more problematic not less.

if that specific but rarer incident should ever occur.
a bit of Ketch 22 with the gasses stuff, which i am sure people have observed when seeing videos of the testing.

if you create a Gas Bomb then put a timer in it that sparks when it disconnects, then put a smoke alarm in there to attract your attention when its ready to go off, lets just say i warned you :)

Last edited:

albertm

Newly Enlightened
It was a NiMh battery pack and a matching 'Smart' charger from BatterySpace. It happened on the 2nd or 3rd time I charged the battery pack. They were good about replacing the battery pack.

Sprocketman

Newly Enlightened
Silverfox, how do you keep your chargers and lithium batteries of various chemistries straight? I am thinking I need to use colored tape or something, since I now have Li-on, LiFePO4 and LIMR cells. (I could just pitch the LiFePO4 cells, but my Fenix lights require them.)

I have one charger with a switch for either 3.0 or 3.7 volts, and in the back of my mind is a nagging worry that some day I am bound to get it wrong.

Thanks for this post--it really got me thinking more clearly and stopped me charging batteries sometimes on my wood workbench!

Randy