SF 9P questions...

Vee3

Enlightened
I just bought a 9P, mainly for camping. I have a few good Luxeon LED lights, none of which seem to have enough throw for "boogieman identification" when out in the sticks at night when I have to go pee-pee out in the pitch black away from the fire (In areas where mountain lions have been recently seen).

After some informal tests, I'm not too confident that the 9P is good enough for my application. Does the Turbo Head increase throw significantly? I don't mind paying for it if it does. Does the P91 make a big difference in throw? I don't care too much about run-time.

I'm a bit underwhelmed with the 9P with the P90 bulb (Not that it's wimpy). I would like to have something that's very bright at longer range to be able to identify the source of a noise a good distance away. I don't care to join the ranks of the early Christians in Rome...

edison

Enlightened
The P91 LA won't give you the extra measure of range that you're after. It will give you much brighter area illumination, but you won't gain any throwing power.

All other factors remaining constant, reflector size will dictate throwing power. You either need the turbo-head, as you've already mentioned, or a different light.

Unfortunately, as many newcomers to the CPF domain realize, a light capable of long range illumination will almost always be something more bulky than what most people consider "handy".

For a long while now Surefire's motto has been "Smaller, brighter, better"; and they are. However, the limitations of the currently viable technology dictate that long range lights must be bulky to facilitate reflector area.

I recommend that you test-drive the turbo-head. You already have an acceptable host since most people consider SF turbo-heads a waste of time @ less than 9V of power.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
If its throw that you want a Streamlight TL3 would had been more suitable and cheaper. Or you could get one of those Mag2D incandescend mods.

captjlw

Newly Enlightened
I built a sort of 9P using a Dspeck 3cell E series compatible tube and a step up adapter. The small bulb/lenses do what they were intended to do with a small form factor. The Turbo head really. . . Really kicks up the throw. I think this is a superior build than most lights because you can get a cell extender to make it a 4 cell light with more bulb options. Little bulb, bigger bulb, turbo, non-turbo, 3 cell, 4 cell and just about any combination. You can also get led modules for long runtimes. Right now I'm using the cell extender (4 cells) with the MN-60 bulb. 1 hour run with great throw. Check out this thread for surefire mix and match.

http://kevin.htgk.org/turbohead.php

Vee3

Enlightened
Thanks all,

I guess I'll order the Turbo head and see what it does. Seems like it will do the job.

I like the Surefire stuff even though it's a bit spendy. I quit smoking and their stuff's cheaper than cigaretts...

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are turboheads (2.5 to 3 inches) and there are miniturboheads (1.5 to 2 inches). The latter offer a compromise between throw and pocketability.

All of the 175-lumen miniturbos--the Streamlight TL-3, Digilight USA T9+turbo, G&P 9S, and LEDWave Z-3--are designed to throw.

The 130-lumen Wolf Eyes and Pila are designed to cast a wide beam that's brighter than most floods.

The 135-lumen Pentagonlight X-3 strikes a balance; so does the RICO Alpha 9 lamp, a 250-lumen lamp that can be used in a Wolf Eyes or Pila.

I suspect that the 135-lumen TacStar T9 is a thrower, since it appears to be a big brother to the T6, which is basically a repackaged Pelican M6.

I was reluctant to buy a TL-3 because I have a bias against b-pin lamps and any lamps that are adjustable. But once I saw the TL-3's perfect beam and long reach, I taped the head's focus into place and got over my prejudice in a hurry. It doesn't hurt that the TL-3 is possibly the most pocketable 3x123A miniturbo made.