SF G2 w/UCL

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about getting a SF G2 and installing a UCL in it. Is is worth it? or is the stock lense just fine. Anyone who has made this mod., Please chime in. Any info. on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and gals.

FlaRe

Newly Enlightened
It's worth upgrading the glass on a G2 if you plan to use a P91 lamp and reflector assembly. Heat from a p91 will melt the stock g2 lens.

mateen

Enlightened
It also looks nicer and won't get scratched up...not that anyone at CPF is into lights for aesthetic qualities... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KahveOrta

Newly Enlightened
Will the P91 cloud the UCL?

If I understand correctly, UCL is not recommended for the Mag85. Maybe the WA1185 runs a lot hotter than the P91?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
91 is a 3-cell bulb, isn't it? Gots to be a typo, no way a bulb designed for 9v will run very brightly on 6v. .

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats true... Maybe if you get an extention for the light ( I saw one with a rechgargeable battey) you could get enough power to power the P91.

-tom

captjlw

Newly Enlightened
I've been running a G2 with a one cell extender and a P90 for a long time with no problem on the stock lens. The P91 does put out more light but not really more throw, so I put the P90 back in for the longer runtime. A UCL would be nice but I haven't had any "melting".

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Cornkid said:
P91????? WHAT? I have a G2 and thought that the P61 would give me max output... TELL MORE

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

You've obviously missed Project C2-90 (do a search on that one) and the P90 with two rechargeables thread..

Basically both of them center around putting 2 x R123 (3.7V) into a two-cell Surefire C-series light, with a P90 or P91 in some cases. Ridiculous lumens are the result.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read thru that whole thread. Its neato - but thats' it. I still wouldn't mind trying it. But I read that there are alot of problems with it. Like killing the cells and blowing up the lights. What I might try is the P90 with the R123s' - seems safer...but then again, the output is roughly what the P61 puts out...

Penguin

Enlightened
If you have a 'standard size' Swiss Army Knife, the caplifter is a PERFECT fit for the G2's and G2z's it's REALLY easy to twist the retaining ring out using this tool. The end of the caplifter fits into one of the indents, the little notch of the caplifter fits into the opposite indent, twist counter clockwise and WALA!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You can run the G2, C2, Z2, M2, D2, 6P, did I leave any out, with two RCR123's, and the P91 LA. I left my G2 on for awhile with this configuration, and it did start melting the lexan lens, right in the middle of the lens. Sort of distorted lexan.

Bill