"shelf life" of cr123a flashlight?

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I noticed this statement on the spec's for a nitecore EX:

"When the light is off, the microprocessor draws very, very little power - between 0.1-0.4ma (0.2ma typical). For example, one 2000mah cell would last about 416 days!"

...so if you throw it in a drawer, or your car, and don't use it, it'll be dead in around 13 months. I kinda figured these lights might last a few years unused, like some of my older led lights (even on alkalines). I figure same for A and AA lithiums.

Is this a typical set up, or do some other brands have a longer shelf life? Does it depend on the switching mechanism/microprocessor?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I noticed this statement on the spec's for a nitecore EX:

"When the light is off, the microprocessor draws very, very little power - between 0.1-0.4ma (0.2ma typical). For example, one 2000mah cell would last about 416 days!"

...so if you throw it in a drawer, or your car, and don't use it, it'll be dead in around 13 months. I kinda figured these lights might last a few years unused, like some of my older led lights (even on alkalines). I figure same for A and AA lithiums.

Is this a typical set up, or do some other brands have a longer shelf life? Does it depend on the switching mechanism/microprocessor?

It depends on the user interface, i.e. switching mechanism/microprocessor and on the EX10/D10 you can just loosen the tail to prevent the drain.
I have collected a (partial) list of light with drain here: http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/standbyCurrent UK.htmlhttp://www.lygte-info.dk/info/standbyCurrent UK.html

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is because the Nitecore EX doesn't use a mechanical switch, which physically cuts off the current. The same principle of a TV in standby mode.

In theory a flashlight should have 10 years shell life until the battery dies, that if none of its components get rusty or fall apart

Moonshadow

Enlightened
...so if you throw it in a drawer, or your car, and don't use it, it'll be dead in around 13 months.
Perhaps, but if you're only using it once every 13 months, it's a bit academic isn't it ?

As HK says, a quarter turn of the head will prevent the drain anyway.

Sensible to lockout any light if you're going to leave it just for a day, let alone months.

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
Ok, the lockout tip is a good point - I had wondered about that. Wasn't sure if lockout actually disconnected the circuit, or just prevented the switching mechanism.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Latest posts