Short video featuring my old Quincy compressor

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The PowerTwist belt is a temporary solution until I can get the correct length cogged V-belt. The PT belt is awesome when you need a belt right now and you can't run to your belt supply house for the correct length.

The original motor was rewound about 15 years ago and was starting to show some age. The "new" motor is a 1.5 hp TEFC taken off my Delta belt/disc sander. The motor sheave is 2.5" to drive the pump at roughly 600 rpm (suggested by Quincy tech support).

PowerTwist B-section belts aren't meant to run at high speed on a pulley that small & the sheave gets too hot to touch after just a couple of minutes. A cogged V-belt is the best solution for this setup.

If the motor speed was 1725 rpm (instead of 3450) the sheave size would be 5.0" ... & the PowerTwist belt would work well.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always cool seeing old gear still chugging along smoothly. I have had new compressors not make it a few days! That blows! This one fits the "don't make em like they used to" motto! Keep Pumpin!

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Thank you for your kind words. I thought there might be some interest in a compressor that's 75 years old :crackup:

Some images of the adapter plate (transition plate) that's need for any newer NEMA frame motor. It's 3/16" thick & 12"x12"

IMG_2824.jpg
View from the sheave side.

IMG_2825.jpg
Adapter plate is painted black, adjustable mounting base is gray

IMG_2826.jpg
Detail view

Look closely at the last image & just visible are the square channels that supported the original motor. The 12x12 plate was first bolted to the square channel & the adjustable mounting base was bolted to that after assuring that the motor sheave was directly in line with the pump sheave. The base was $19 on eBay and a real lifesaver on a refit like this.

I spoke with the shop manager at Bearing Headquarters (similar to Motion Industries, Grainger, other power transmission suppliers). He suggested the Gates Tri-Power cogged belt as it's designed for use on small diameter sheaves. Cost about $5 more than Amazon but Amazon didn't take the time to find the best belt for this application:

http://www.gates.com/products/autom...d-accessory-belt-drive-system/tri-power-belts

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the overall shots, it makes more sense visually for me. In a system like This, they're really aren't many moving parts. My thought is how long do the rings on the piston last?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... how long do the rings on the pistons last?
Good question Dan.

The pump is 2-stage so air is first compressed by the larger 2.50" piston & then compressed again by the 1.75" piston. Ring wear in any recip engine, whether an air compressor pump or an automotive motor, is a function of linear feet of piston travel, peak piston speed, condition of oil, operating temperature, etc. 15-20 years is a reasonable expectation for a low speed pump that's in service 8 hours each day - about 30k-40k hours.

Rotary screw compressors run a lot longer with Quincy having a 130k hour design. That's 65 years at 8 hours a day but the majority of screw compressors run 16-24 hours/day & that results in far fewer years. Either way a Quincy rotary screw has a 10-year guarantee & that indicates life expectancy beyond that.

The pump on my compressor is splash lube:

SplashLubePistonRod.jpg

Some pumps use an automotive style oil filter & pressure lube - they last even longer.

This old pump is going on 85 years (more or less). Quincy records indicate it was first sold to a service station, back when service stations added air to the tires, checked the oil, cleaned the windshield, etc. Goodness knows how many places it landed between then & 1980 when the prior owner bought it to use in his small business. He sold it to me in 2002 & it was the dirtiest piece of equipment I ever bought, cannot remember how many cans of engine cleaner it took before the pump was degreased. Since then it's seen light use as the "house garage" compressor ... filling bicycle tires, blowing off the mower, etc. The three compressors in my shop run a lot more.

Synthetic 15W-50 motor oil is my lubricant of choice & it gets changed whenever it stops looking clear & clean. There is certainly blow by past the rings & water vapor condenses in the bottom of the crankcase. Watery oil sucks as a lubricant.

I'm thinking this compressor will outlive me & get passed on to my son.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Installed the new belt, adjusted tension and alignment, ran it through four pump up cycles. The motor sheave never got above 110° as indicated on my infrared thermometer.

This belt sits much deeper down into the sheave and makes greater contact.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1469673486.696677.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1469673504.850264.jpg

Last edited: