Should I upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_B

Newly Enlightened
Help.
In a quandary.
I just bought the Arc LS for 59$.
I am considering upgrading to the Arc- LSH Premium.
I can upgrade to the Arc-LSH Premium flashlight with High Dome Luxeon LED, or the Special Edition Arc LSH-P w/Tight Focus Beam. Either upgrade will cost an extra 90$ (ouch) What to do?
Is the Premium edition a lot better? Is the Special edition better than the regular premium?
What would you do???

kaseri

Enlightened
In my opinion the premiums are the only way to go. You won't be disappointed with either. If you needs are mainly for general lighting/less than 20' distances go for the LSH-P. If your needs are for illuminating at distances greater than 20' or you just need/want the extra throw go for the LSHF-P.

Or you can do what any red blooded flashaholic would do, get both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which ARC LS did you get? Did you get the LSL package? If so, you got a LD (low dome) luxeon and supposedly a standard. Some comments (mine included) are so favorable about their lights, that it raises a suspicion that maybe a premium LD was used in some these lights. I had intended to change out the luxeon in mine to a premium HD (high dome), but it's so good the way it came, I changed my mind.

Most people prefer the HD to the the LD because it out throws the low dome and the color is usually better. I have a standard HD ARC LS and the new standard LS LD that I just got and the beam in the new LD is brighter than the HD. It's a matter of personal preference as to whether you like a HD or LD beam, but it appears that more people like the HD over the LD. The choice of standard and premium seems to weigh over to the premium. The premium is noticeably brighter.

The special edition uses a tightly focused optic, so that the beam is more concentrated. It throws farther and is brighter in its hotspot. The regular premium doesn't have as much throw (but still good) and has more flood which most people find more useful in general.

So, it really depends on what purpose you have in mind as to which is the best choice. What you got is an incredible value and if you happened to get the premium, you got an unbelievable deal. If you were going to only ever have just one ARC LS, I would probably recommend the ARC LSH-P or the new LS4 which is due out in the next 30 - 90 days. But, the fashion of a true flashaholic, I'd have to say, "Get both!"

Mattman

Enlightened
If your LSL isn't good enough or doesn't fit your needs (for throw, most likely) then you should upgrade and go for the LSH-P Fraen. If you're just getting the itch to grab something new, then I would try to wait for the LS4 or see if the LSH goes on sale or drops in price. The LSH is by most accounts a nicer light, but if money is an object I would hold on to that bargain LSL. I have an LSH-P and have no real use for an LSL or another LS, but I was considering picking one up during that sale just because of the price!

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
I agree with BentHead. Wait a few months for the LS4 to come out. If you still want an LSH-P, then maybe they will go down in price by then.

I'm kinda in the same situation as you Tim. I have an LSL (that I am perfectly happy with) but was tempted to get an LSH-P. But, I decided to wait a few months and save my pennies for Arc's LS4.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim, I PM'ed you an offer to upgrade your LSL. You can turn it into an LSH-P (with or without the tight focus optic) for considerably less than buying a new one. You can even change the drive current to make it much brighter than a stock LSH-P. To view your PMs (private messages) click on the flashing "letter" icon directly to the left of "Main Index" at the top of the page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.