SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

MarioJP

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Grease potentially introduces higher resistance. And as the negative pole contact is made through the both rails touching each other(nothing erotic) , they decided to go without grease in later iterations of the charger.
That makes sense, and i could see why not wanting to grease them anymore. But i do have to say, the sliders is quite difficult to slide them back. Feels like the - tabs could bend lol. But no biggie, just glad that + terminals makes contact with flat top cells[emoji106] Should be fine right?

STIXXXXX

Newly Enlightened

You could loosen the (middle) screws just a bit. That helped for me with one model ;)

MarioJP

Enlightened

Question. I am comparing both new and old seeing what else got improved since i have them side by side. One thing i did notice is that the - terminals on the new one looks a bit thinner. What new metals did they use this time?

dma_k

Newly Enlightened
Dear forum members, My excuses if my points below are already covered in 150+ pages of this thread... it's not easy to find relative information ;) I have recently bought SkyRC MC3000 (reports FW 1.13, HW 1.3) via GearBest, presumably the latest edition. I have a problem with charging battery GP 1100mAh NiMH. When I attempt to start a program, the charger immediately reports "Connection Break", similar to one here. This message does not tell anything even to advanced user :) The initial voltage was 1.25V and internal resistance is 8.08Om (other batteries I've tested have lower values e.g. 0.83Om, 1.10Om) – maybe that's the reason. At least that should be correctly reported e.g. "Internal resistance (8.08O Om) is too high". I would appreciate if that limitation is overcome. Other "nice to have" features:
  • Why I cannot jump from Slot Programming View (SPV) в Slot Operation View (SOV) and back without going to Total Overview (TOV)? For example, slot #1 is empty and slot #2 is charging a battery. I press SNB #1 (program selection) and then SNB #2. Nothing happens. I suggest to jump to operation view of #2.
  • When during programming I change Mode, then previously set capacity and charging current are reset to 2000mAh and 1A correspondingly. For example, if I change Mode from Charge to Refresh, these settings should be left as I set them. Of course in certain modes (like BreakIn) they should be overridden, but if possible, user-defined value should be preserved. More over when I press Stop button (I want to cancel Mode selection) the values are set to OFF – totally unexpected. Bottomline: previously entered values for capacity and charging current should be remembered when user switches between different Modes and applied/preserved when currently selected mode allows this and also restored when user cancels Mode selection.
  • Is combination UP+SNB working for someone? Maybe I misunderstood the manual: If there are inactive slots, clicking UP+SNB will recall the program number stored under that SNB and copy the program over to all inactive slots at once. If I am right, in case when slot #1 is empty and slot #2 is charging a battery using program 03, when I press UP+SNB#2, the program 03 should be applied to slot #1 (and other not charging slots as well). Currently it does not happen: the program is applied, but the wrong one.
  • When I install AAA accumulator in the slot, the back slider is not touching the back of accumulator reliably. This is because the batteries have some padding on the back like on this image, so the tip on the slider does not contact the "proper" area on the back of the battery because the tip is too high. I can place the battery higher, however sometimes it just jumps out because of the angle. Another concern is that the battery does not touch the thermometer properly, so cut-off by temperature becomes problematic.
  • Showing "Programs Info" can be optimized. Users complain that charger is too slow. I believe it is not slow because of processor power, but instead user experience can be improved in some places. For example, one somebody needs to know which program is active when returning to TOV menu? The point is that while this information is shown, pressing any SNB button has no effect, so I need to wait for a second before I can continue. Perhaps one can just eliminate this info view and add program info into TOV view (e.g. current is replaced by program for 1 second and then flips back?)
  • Buttons are noisy in a sense that when I press them, the sound can be heard in next room.
  • Add the "Beep sound level" configuration option. That one should control the sound level for beep events (default one is too high).
  • Would be nice to see the charging level in percentage either relative to capacity set up by the program, or to value discovered by previous charge/discharge step. For example in C→D→C program, the second charge step can use mAh value accumulated by discharge step.
Android App deserves another separate post. Hopefully it becomes better over the time as well.

MoTec

Newly Enlightened
Howdy forum members!

I've received one of these MC3000's from GearBest a couple of days ago. It's reporting FW Version 1.13 and HW Version ≥ 1.3.

I read, on the first page of this thread, bug k#62:

• (k#62) one slot out of four may surprisingly show CHECK VOLTAGE message even with BATT TYPE set correctly (CONFIRMED, FIXED, TESTED)

My unit is exhibiting this behavior with NiMH cells (AA Eneloop) on slot four, only. And, oddly enough, only when selecting a charge cycle. I've been able do a 'refresh' on NiMH cells, in all four slots, with no problems. LiIon cells also charge fine. I've verified that it's not the cells by swapping them between slots.

I'm wondering if this is a defect in my unit or perhaps this is this bug manifesting itself with firmware 1.13. Further reading has shown it's going to be a waste to even try to return this through GearBest so no matter what happens I'll deal with it but it'd be nice to know if this is expected behavior, a bug or a fault.

If anyone has any advice or comments please feel free to send them my way.

EDIT: It appears to only do this when I select "NiMH" cells, not "Eneloop". I was charging some Apple branded AAs and had the problem (also verified with Eneloops) but it does not happen when I select Eneloop as the cell type.

Additionally. It appears I might have some sort mix of old and new parts. From everything I can tell without taking it apart (which I haven't done yet) I've got the newest hardware (the rails are more silver and not greased, the is a shallow indention around the sticker on the bottom, the display is more grey then blue, and what seems to be most definitive of the newest hardware - it DOES display the MAC address on the Setup screen if I long-press enter while the HW Version line is highlighted) but one thing is different - mine does not have the three raised bumps on the positive terminal like I've seen in some pictures.

Last edited:

Bazsy

Newly Enlightened
I have received my mc3000 from GB today and I am pretty satisfied with it. I was surprised that that's the charger has two fans, somehow I always thought it was one.

A few questions with mixed answers in the topic:
- Is there any way to name a program? It will be otherwise pretty hard to follow what you eschew program does and why. Also programs I make on the phone doesn't seem like ending up on the unit. How does the unit knows what it does then? Any way to transfer them?
-What's the difference between Nimh and Eneloop mode and what are the best settings for the Eneloop/Eneloop Pro AA/AAA?

MarioJP

Enlightened
I have received my mc3000 from GB today and I am pretty satisfied with it. I was surprised that that's the charger has two fans, somehow I always thought it was one.

So this must be revision 2 past june production?? Mines also has dual fans as well when i received mines. Yet, youtube and other related pics only shows the june production with a single fan and flat + terminals. I was surprised to see a dual fan and three rounded points on the + terminals than what was shown on the box.

So there is now total of 3 versions of this charger. The original version, June production version, and now the past june production or 2017 version. And you will know right away if you have the 2017. Just look for the dual fans and 3 rounded points on the + terminals.

Last edited:

MarioJP

Enlightened

2 fans? Are you sure?
Dual fans and 3 rounded points.
eaa4cf24d9cb0dd33724bbf900d8efb1.jpg
41de2beee97d6e6078ce25d55aca3bfc.jpg

MarioJP

Enlightened

Edit: I have a suggestion for the next firmware update if it hasn't been mentioned already. It's already on phones, other chargers, or anything with a battery meter. Is it possible to add % when it measures the cells, charging/discharging? It is in everything else, why not this joyful charger? Just a thought[emoji106]

Wow ok that's awesome.
I need to get a new one...
The boxing looks the same. So you might be deceived at first until you start unboxing lol.

Last edited:

Bazsy

Newly Enlightened

Nice to se the dual fans were a fairly new addition but has anyone an answer on my original questions?

Bazsy

Newly Enlightened

Could someone also point me to a guide to connect the charger to windows 10? I get a driver error all the time I try. Is there a specific driver I should use?

MarioJP

Enlightened

Could someone also point me to a guide to connect the charger to windows 10? I get a driver error all the time I try. Is there a specific driver I should use?
Make sure windows is up to date. No driver needed. Check that the cable is making good connection on both ends. I remember while back that a good quality usb cable can make a difference as not all cables are created equal. No problems updating firmware so far for me.

hahoo

Enlightened

good luck if it breaks
this company sucks bigtime for standing behind this thing
i mean SUX
mine fell apart, and they asked if it was ok to send me the parts , to fix myself.
but i would have to pay the HIGH SHIPPING that it would cost for them to ship it to me.
also, would send a video of how to fix it ! LMAOO !
it is still well under warranty
are you serious ?
send me the parts, me pay the high shipping, and its still under warranty !!
OMFG!!!
what a complete joke they are.
i dont give a damn how good a charger it is, ill never spend another cent with this greedy *** bunch of idiots ever again.

unreal.....

Interesting.

I just asked at GB if I could be sure to get the latest ('version3') with 2 cooling fans and was told that this item only has one cooling fan!

So this must be revision 2 past june production?? Mines also has dual fans as well when i received mines. Yet, youtube and other related pics only shows the june production with a single fan and flat + terminals. I was surprised to see a dual fan and three rounded points on the + terminals than what was shown on the box.

So there is now total of 3 versions of this charger. The original version, June production version, and now the past june production or 2017 version. And you will know right away if you have the 2017. Just look for the dual fans and 3 rounded points on the + terminals.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Re: 2nd gen dreamcharger presented on IFA Berlin 2014…

Hey guys,

I have a problem with my MC3000 I do not quite understand. I want to use it to sort through about 300 pieces A123 LiFePo4 cells.
For this, I have programmed a cycle like this:
Charge to 3.6V
Discharge to 2.5V
Charge reduce current 0.2A
Discharge reduce current 0.2A
2 Cycles

For some reason, the first charge goes well, but the first discharge always ends with a "Connection Break" error. The connection was never broken though. I can start the program again without moving the cells or doing something to improve the contact. Here are some images with I hope al relevant data concerning the problem, the program and the charger settings.
If someone could help me, this would be great. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just found out the problem. I carefully watched what happened when the cells were just about to reach 2.5V. The charger apparently isn't able to reduce the discharge current quick enough. The voltage of the cells sagged way quicker than the charger was able to compensate by reducing the discharge current. The voltage sagged to around 1,75V, and the charger only had reduced the discharge current from 1.0A to 0.7A at that point, nowhere near anough to prevent forther voltage sag, and at that point the voltage was low enough to trigger the "Connection Break" error message.
When I switched off the discharge reduce option, the charge current was switched off at 2.5V, and the program continued as desired.
Maybe this would be an improvement for future firmware upgrades: If the charger cannot reduce the discharge current in time, just switch it off completely.

kwuGMAAl.jpg

^This is what the charger looks like after the first discharge.

This is what the slot overview looks like after the "connection break" happened:
OyAtcepm.jpg

FonQOzbm.jpg

7uEFtNem.jpg

Mq6wWEQm.jpg

^This is what the slot overview looks like after the "connection break" happened.

This is what the Program #4, which is used, looks like:
nTYC5fYm.jpg

q68yVq7m.jpg

ISMvDfnm.jpg

xtPTuuWm.jpg

^This is what the Program #4, which is used, looks like.

This is the charger setup I use:
8cnnadcm.jpg

6igjdb4m.jpg

RxuRAs6m.jpg

a4vQ68im.jpg

TUleBnCm.jpg

uEKBijLm.jpg

7KeUP1hm.jpg

SreSPVcm.jpg

^This is the charger setup I use.

Last edited:

hc900

Newly Enlightened
dreamcharger presented on IFA Berlin 2014… Nightmare issues!

Hey guys,

I have a problem with my MC3000 I do not quite understand. I want to use it to sort through about 300 pieces A123 LiFePo4 cells.
For this, I have programmed a cycle like this:
Charge to 3.6V
Discharge to 2.5V
Charge reduce current 0.2A
Discharge reduce current 0.2A
2 Cycles

For some reason, the first charge goes well, but the first discharge always ends with a "Connection Break" error. The connection was never broken though. I can start the program again without moving the cells or doing something to improve the contact. Here are some images with I hope al relevant data concerning the problem, the program and the charger settings.
If someone could help me, this would be great. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just found out the problem. I carefully watched what happened when the cells were just about to reach 2.5V. The charger apparently isn't able to reduce the discharge current quick enough. The voltage of the cells sagged way quicker than the charger was able to compensate by reducing the discharge current. The voltage sagged to around 1,75V, and the charger only had reduced the discharge current from 1.0A to 0.7A at that point, nowhere near anough to prevent forther voltage sag, and at that point the voltage was low enough to trigger the "Connection Break" error message.
When I switched off the discharge reduce option, the charge current was switched off at 2.5V, and the program continued as desired.
Maybe this would be an improvement for future firmware upgrades: If the charger cannot reduce the discharge current in time, just switch it off completely.

I confirm that it also happens to me when I charge or discharge a large 22650 cells and D cells with 2 amperes or more current.
It seems that the problem is a micro-interruption of current that my 2 MC3000 can not ignore.

It seems a firmware problem, because my chargers are of the first and second hardware series.

We need the help of a friend squirrel !!