Snowmageddon '21

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Many waste more time sucking the life out of dead alkaleaks when a KWH costs about 15 cents at least with $15 per 1000 gallons it is 3 cents saved for 2 gallons (1.5 cents/gallon) a lot more savings than battery vampires do and a lot quicker to save that much.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In summer I catch the water and use it to water stuff like flowers and dogs water bowls. In winter for house plants but they don't need very much and dog bowls but not as much is needed.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
In summer I catch the water and use it to water stuff like flowers and dogs water bowls. In winter for house plants but they don't need very much and dog bowls but not as much is needed.
I had a few containers outside that filled with water that took awhile to use up as it kept raining.
Anyway this thread is about snow and freezing there won't be any more here till around November.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
but if everyone did that (probably half a million houses) it could save about 1/4 of a billion gallons of water over a year?
From your perspective the water is wasted, sure. But water is a nice stable molecule and whatever goes down the drain is promptly reused by someone downstream; as the city upstream of Dallas (Denton) likes to joke 'Dallas has water to drink because Denton flushes its toilets'.

It is cheap now, for us. For many, water is a precious commodity, not to be wasted.
Why waste it if all it takes is a few extra minutes to conserve.
If you want to do something like capture water that would go down the drain waiting for the shower to warm, have at. But like my tendency to promptly use ice in left over fountain drink cups to chill some water out of the tap the savings are extraordinarily small as opposed to more meaningful changes - like not flood-irrigating thousands of square miles of lawns or not refrigerating one's dwelling down to 68F in the summer.

turbodog

Flashaholic
It is cheap now, for us. For many, water is a precious commodity, not to be wasted.
Why waste it if all it takes is a few extra minutes to conserve.

Because time is limited and there are far more efficient ways to boost water availability & quality.

markr6

Flashaholic
My shower is about 50 feet away from the water tank. I can turn on the hot water tap and it doesn't even start to get warm till about a gallon and a quarter comes out as the pipe between the tank and the bathroom cools off after a few hours. Instead of just letting the water run out till it gets hot enough (I have a diverter on the tub faucet for the shower) I put a bucket under it and use the water that would be wasted for my plants and a bird bath or I can dump it in the toilet tank. I know that if I save 2 gallons a day it isn't even 1000 gallons a year that that costs about $15 I think but if everyone did that (probably half a million houses) it could save about 1/4 of a billion gallons of water over a year?

Got it! Oh I might have you beat. My water heater is in the basement which never gets cold, about 66-68° year round. Both bathrooms upstairs easily require a gallon or even two. I'll measure it sometime because now I'm curious.