Soldering to bare cells: a guide

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if something like this has already been done, but I wrote an extensive pictures-included guide on how to solder to bare cells. I remember there being many discussions about how to do this on this board, so I figure it could be useful to someone around here. At the very least, the next time the topic comes up I can just link to here instead of writing yet another longwinded post :p

Last edited:

Meterman

Newly Enlightened
Next month it will be sixty years that I got my very first soldering iron (to be heated up in the fire of the stove in the kitchen). You see, I'm not really a newbie in soldering. And I've soldered a lot of NiCd cells over time.

Thumbs up, Fallingwater, you have given an excellent instruction how to carefully solder cells, but I too would highly recommend that job to experienced people only.

Wulf

n3eg

Newly Enlightened
I've been doing this for years, and it's evolved into the same process with two exceptions: First, I heat the cell and let the wire drop into the solder - second, I make stacks by putting cells side by side, soldering to the sides of the terminals, and moving them in line so as to not add excess length to the stack.

Great article for those newbies who fear explosions...in 30 years as a tech, I've never even vented a cell by soldering it.