SOLVED: Nitecore D20 turns itself on with slightest bump (not-so-smart PD)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore D20 turns itself on with slightest bump (not-so-smart PD)

Why don't people read? There is no "problem".

Good question, there are many reasons, some are even valid. Do you want to give us yours?

The problem trying to be solved is NOT accidental pushing of the PD switch.

There was no reason for a harsh response even if your comment was valid (which it is not), there was no prior strong language or view points.

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened

Good question, there are many reasons, some are even valid. Do you want to give us yours?

The problem trying to be solved is NOT accidental pushing of the PD switch.

There was no reason for a harsh response even if your comment was valid (which it is not), there was no prior strong language or view points.

Why would you assume I think it has anything to do with pushing the switch? I don't, and it did not say it.

If one unscrews the light as if one were trying to prevent accidental button activation the new shelf on this light will keep the pistion away from the brass ring. Then the batteries can bounce all day long, a lanyard could hit the button and the light will not go on. A sticking piston will not bypass this either. The light can't go on.

EngrPaul said:
"If you read", a lockout is used to prevent accidental pressing of the piston. Lockouts on flashlights are used to overcome accidental pressing of the on/off button.

A lockout is NOT supposed to be used to overcome bad design of the flashlight! There IS a problem!

It amounts to the same thing, if the body is unscrewed correctly the light can't go on. One should be doing that anyway if it is in your pocket. A clicky should be locked out in your pocket too. If one carries a clicky not locked out in the pocket and it has never gone on, that does not mean it will never happen. I agree that it would be better if a bump did not activate the light, but if you were locking it out anyway, it would not have happened. Is there an important reason to not use the lock out?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally expect a light turned off to stay off. The D20 is sold to work as a clicky or twisty. I remember seeing a video to that effect. If I have to always lock it out, I effectively only have a twisty light, because off does not mean off when used as a clicky.

I think it's an undesirable feature for the light to come on when bumped (a problem). The addition of the spring makes this undesirable feature go away.

Same as if I have an automatic car that has a bad parking gear. I know I should always use the parking brake since the parking pawl is broke. It's probably a good practice to always put the parking brake on anyway. This doesn't mean I have a car that's free from being defective. If I can fix it, I should!

Qbreitling

Newly Enlightened

I think this is almost certainly a sticky piston spring issue.

Bruce is absolutely correct. The copper piston ring doesn't pop all the way back. It goes back halfway. I have no idea how to remove this and possible lube or grind the ring smaller so it won't touch the side wall.

This is definately a design flaw or manufacture decfect. The piston ring is TOO LARGE for the body, it touches the side and won't spring back up.

Latest posts