Stainless steel LD01 won't turn on

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the limited edition Stainless Steel LD01 from 4Sevens last December. It's a lovely flashlight and I've been carrying it on my keyring. I don't use it often, but recently I've been using it a bit more. After working well for several months, it suddenly would not switch on. I tried changing the battery and cleaning the contact area but it didn't help.

After many tries, it sometimes turns on but flickers a lot and sometimes cycles through modes. Often it will turn on for a short while, then turn off. Strangely it will sometimes activate when it is tightened not quite all the way, just before it becomes tight but when it's tight all the way, it turns off.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and has any suggestions before I pursue warranty claims (I live in Malaysia, so it's a tad inconvenient
grinser2.gif
)

Thanks!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Another thing you can try. Unscrew the head and remove the battery. Take the battery tube and using some 400-600 grit sand paper resting on a flat surface, twist the body several times face down on the paper. You just want to clean and true the battery tube face so don't overdo it. Clean the face with a clean dry towel, re-lube and reassemble. This may fix or improve the problem you're having.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a battery tester to know that you're putting in a good battery? Maybe try some other new batteries first.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you tighten it all the way, and it doesn't turn on, does the head get warm?

Since it occasionally come on when it's not tightened all the way, it sounds like driver is board is loose, and among other things, is sometimes causing the negative contact ring to come in contact with the inside of the head.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a paper clip, bent the tip and hook the spring out of the battery tube, get the green thing that you wash the dish with, tear a small piece and use a chop stick and clean the inside of the battery tube, dry it, put the spring back in.
See if it work.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically I would start in the battery tube.

I remove the spring and put it in isopropyl alcohol. Then I clean the bottom of my battery tube with the same

Then I put a drop of deoxit gold in the bottom of the tube. Then I remove the excess with a q-tip. Push in the spring, and go over it with the q-tip still wet from deoxit.

If you have strong crud in the bottom of your tube, you could be more aggressive, I've never had to.

Deoxit gold also makes a great lubricant for the threads. Clean all the old goop out, a round wooden toothpick works great to pull debris out of the threads

Lake Effect

Newly Enlightened
Sounds exactly like what mine does when the battery gets low. Hard to believe there would be that much crud in battery tube. I carry mine in my pocket every day at work and I don't see any junk in my battery tube?

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
A agree with checking out the bottom of the tube.

I had a friend take a look at the one I gave him (not SS) cause it wasn't working. The first I did was put his head on mine and it worked fine so I knew it wasn't the head. I then pulled the spring, cleaned it and the bottom of the tube. When I put back together it worked fine.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great tips guys :)

I tried removing the spring and there's only a little bit of dirt at the bottom... I cleaned it out as best i could with a q-tip.

It works somewhat better now... much easier to activate it although there's still the odd flicker. I think I'll need to do some better cleaning and maybe buy some of that deoxit gold.

Thank you all again.